Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Help with next step modding my GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 01:53 AM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Help with next step modding my GT3

Thanks to everyone for all the help so far.

I have a 2010 gt3 I purchased new. I originally thought it would be mostly for street with light track use. After my first DE, I was very interested in learning to drive at speed, and took two of the 2-day Porsche driving school programs and three of the Mid Ohio School Programs as well as multiple additional DE events over the next two years. Once the car became track use only, I bought a Trailex, then a better tow vehicle, and now realize the RS would have been a better choice. But, I love this car, and for awhile there will be much more car than driver, so I don't plan on moving to an RS quite yet (though I did see the Orbit car!).

Current mods are:

GT2 lightweight seats, DAS rollbar, OZ Superforgiattas, Schroth harnesses, SRP pedals, GMG center muffler delete pipe, RaceChrono monitor.

My next thought is moving to a lighter battery--one of the aftermarket lithiums. And, I plan on having the car corner balanced.

I have PCCBs, but run StopTech rotors with Endless ME20 pads. Mostly using MPSCs. I also have dynamic engine mounts. Front camber is -2.0, and other settings are stock.

What should my next performance mod be? I assume suspension?
Old 05-17-2012, 01:59 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since just really starting, you've done enough. Now try and get the most out of the car until reach a plateau. Then think coaching and other mods
Old 05-17-2012, 02:05 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 217 Posts

Let's make a double deal for a couple of RSs somewhere!
Kidding aside...you need a more aggressive track alignment and start running Hoosier R6. Alignment should roughly be -3.0 camber and neutral toe in the front, caster 8 degrees, -2.5 camber and 0.4-0.5 deg total toe in in the rear.
Better handling at higher speeds and cornering could also be achieved by RSS or GMG rear dogbones and adjustable toe steer kit with locking plates. You may also consider a front adjustable toe/bump steer kit.
Honestly, short of adding a lightweight flywheel there's not a lot of extras that will really increase performance for the buck.
Look for an RS with me.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:24 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lwfw immediately
Cup cables
Guard diff while car is in the shop
Regear

Rss Tarmac kit or the like

This will all add up to a switch to r6 since you are trailering

And just like that you drop 5 or so seconds per lap on a 2 minute track

Of course be ready for a lot of - "spend the money on pro instruction" responses...
Old 05-17-2012, 02:48 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Suspension, alignment, different tires since you have trailer.

Then put your money towards track time and consumables. Pretty much where I am. 2 sets of track wherls is nice too.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:24 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hire a coach. Let him lap the car, if he's 2 secs a lap faster than you, or even more on a 2:00 minutes lap, or 1 sec faster on a 60 secs lap, you could spend the next $20,000 trying to make the car faster to even out the Coach lap times. Then the Coach will likely beat you again in the modified car.

Dump the MPSC, and start running R6.

If you are not confident to push the limits, stop by a local autocross, share the ride with a very experience autocrosser, if the autocrosser puts 1 sec faster lap times than you, you have a lot of work to do, so modding the car will only make it slightly faster, and sometimes slower.

I would erase the side mufflers, and go back to the stock center muffler, saves lots of weight, and improves handling.

LW battery, the Porsche OEM Li-Ion.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:06 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Hire a coach. Let him lap the car, if he's 2 secs a lap faster than you, or even more on a 2:00 minutes lap, or 1 sec faster on a 60 secs lap, you could spend the next $20,000 trying to make the car faster to even out the Coach lap times. Then the Coach will likely beat you again in the modified car.

Dump the MPSC, and start running R6.

If you are not confident to push the limits, stop by a local autocross, share the ride with a very experience autocrosser, if the autocrosser puts 1 sec faster lap times than you, you have a lot of work to do, so modding the car will only make it slightly faster, and sometimes slower.

I would erase the side mufflers, and go back to the stock center muffler, saves lots of weight, and improves handling.

LW battery, the Porsche OEM Li-Ion.
+1

Until you are 1s or thereabouts from a competitive time (for the car), modifications are a waste of money. Its also much more satisfying when you do a 2:00 "on the limit" than a 2:00 in a modified car well within the capabilities of the car.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:20 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 46 Posts

You're going down a slipper slope with a well set-up car for DEs.

I was in your same place in my 997.2 GT3. Same mods except I had Tarett rear toe links instead of your OZ's and a Cup front lip and rebuilt LSD. You NEED a Cup front lip - cheap and much improved down force for turn-ins.

Strongly consider an RS. My next mods were going to be LWFW, regearing, CF Wing. The RS had all of this going for it already.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:28 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Coach + GT3 > GT3 RS
Coach + Carrera S > GT3 RS
Coach + Cayman S > GT3 RS
Old 05-17-2012, 10:45 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

A corner balance and proper alignment make sense.
You will want adjustable rear toe links and front/rear sway bar links to lock in the alignment and allow the ride height to be lowered. Also a good time to add monoball ends,monoball bearings, thrust arm bushings and adjustable rear upper control arms.

A proper LSD is a mod you will also notice as the factory unit only lasts approx 10 track days...

With a trailer, it would be a nice time to start using R6 tires on your track wheels.

After learning the car with these mods you could always step up to a 3.8RS or 4.0LRS to gain a little extra power and better gearing but the good news is that all your mods can be transfered to another car
Old 05-17-2012, 10:48 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

get a full track setup
get 2 sets BBS 18"
get R6
drive the crap out of it and pass RS cars on RA1's. lol
Old 05-17-2012, 10:55 AM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Thank you for all of this feedback. I joined a track club this year, and have been able to get alot more track time. I improved 2s per lap on a track where 1:20 is fairly fast, and more recently still improving though plateauing on gains with a decrease of 0.3s yesterday. I know I still have lots of room to grow in this car. I have access to a good coach at the track, at a cost of 500.00 per day. I can get coaching for free at the DEs, but a professional coach is likely the way to go. Is that price typical?
Old 05-17-2012, 11:17 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911GT3
Thank you for all of this feedback. I joined a track club this year, and have been able to get alot more track time. I improved 2s per lap on a track where 1:20 is fairly fast, and more recently still improving though plateauing on gains with a decrease of 0.3s yesterday. I know I still have lots of room to grow in this car. I have access to a good coach at the track, at a cost of 500.00 per day. I can get coaching for free at the DEs, but a professional coach is likely the way to go. Is that price typical?
Once you've done 100+ laps in the car, hire a coach. See what he does and what he tells you, and how you compare with regards to him. Buy a laptimer, because "feeling" is not good neough. If the coach blows you away (on a 1:20 lap anything over 1s) then you need to learn, practice, then hire him again after another 100 laps.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:32 AM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmardini
Once you've done 100+ laps in the car, hire a coach. See what he does and what he tells you, and how you compare with regards to him. Buy a laptimer, because "feeling" is not good neough. If the coach blows you away (on a 1:20 lap anything over 1s) then you need to learn, practice, then hire him again after another 100 laps.
I have done about 240 laps in the last two months. Traffic on club days is very low right now, and allows lots of practice time. I have been using a RaceChrono lap timer, and have my track divided into 4 sectors. This helps me determine whether things like double-apexing a long turn help or not (it did), and whether I am faster out of the final turn into a long straightaway by changing little things to get my car rotated a little earlier (eventually I was).
Old 05-17-2012, 11:42 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I repeat

Working diff (guard)
Cup cables (do not add speed but fell better and remove plastic)
Rss tarmac kit

Drive drive drive

$500 per day for the coach is good if he is helping you improve

Quick Reply: Help with next step modding my GT3