Help with next step modding my GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:47 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911GT3
I have done about 240 laps in the last two months. Traffic on club days is very low right now, and allows lots of practice time. I have been using a RaceChrono lap timer, and have my track divided into 4 sectors. This helps me determine whether things like double-apexing a long turn help or not (it did), and whether I am faster out of the final turn into a long straightaway by changing little things to get my car rotated a little earlier (eventually I was).
Great, thats a lot of laps in a short time! Now hire a coach. A real coach, preferably someone who has successfully driven a Cup. Let him lap your car. Witness the surreal abilities of a gt3 under full power exiting turns. Then see where you are in comparison. Learn to drive your car within an inch of its life. Then modify it.

+1 on putting a good diff in, Guard unit is amazing, and +1 on putting the toe links and other bits to make the car more consistent.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by bmardini
Great, thats a lot of laps in a short time! Now hire a coach. A real coach, preferably someone who has successfully driven a Cup. Let him lap your car. Witness the surreal abilities of a gt3 under full power exiting turns. Then see where you are in comparison. Learn to drive your car within an inch of its life. Then modify it.

+1 on putting a good diff in, Guard unit is amazing, and +1 on putting the toe links and other bits to make the car more consistent.
+1, replacing the rear arms with RSS (including the LCA) has really improved the handling of my car in the turns ... not sure about the value of doing this at the front for a mixed use street/track car, note the rear LCA does increase road noise on some surfaces.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:50 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
+1, replacing the rear arms with RSS (including the LCA) has really improved the handling of my car in the turns ... not sure about the value of doing this at the front for a mixed use street/track car, note the rear LCA does increase road noise on some surfaces.
Track only, so the mods should be okay. The only road use is to the gas station after I wash it--about five blocks away.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:58 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Allow me to simplify:

http://www.intercitylines.com/index.php/request-a-quote
http://www.orbitracing.com/contact Ask for Rodger and tell him you want what the GT3 DE CUP runs.

Easy peasy
Old 05-18-2012, 12:31 AM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Allow me to simplify:

http://www.intercitylines.com/index.php/request-a-quote
http://www.orbitracing.com/contact Ask for Rodger and tell him you want what the GT3 DE CUP runs.

Easy peasy
NICE! Don't think I am not considering that! Though I must admit my favorite is the blue--even though white is classic and very "cuppy."
Old 05-18-2012, 01:42 AM
TNetworks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$500 a day for a coach? Not unless it gets me on the podium....
Old 05-18-2012, 11:46 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Let's make a double deal for a couple of RSs somewhere!
Kidding aside...you need a more aggressive track alignment and start running Hoosier R6. Alignment should roughly be -3.0 camber and neutral toe in the front, caster 8 degrees, -2.5 camber and 0.4-0.5 deg total toe in in the rear.
Better handling at higher speeds and cornering could also be achieved by RSS or GMG rear dogbones and adjustable toe steer kit with locking plates. You may also consider a front adjustable toe/bump steer kit.
Honestly, short of adding a lightweight flywheel there's not a lot of extras that will really increase performance for the buck.
Look for an RS with me.
It's funny, I have been watching your posts, and sale, and have been going through the same dilemna. But, I just really love my car, and don't want to part with it. Since I have two other 911s, I can't justify keeping it if I move to an RS. But, I keep thinking if I don't get one soon, they will all be gone! I know that is not true, and I also want to see what the 991 GT3 will be, though I am worried it won't be dry sump, race gearbox, etc. As soon as you get yours, I know I will be thinking--dang, I should have got one too!

That being said, good luck! And, how the heck are we both looking at the Orbit car and not moving on it?
Old 05-19-2012, 12:20 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Sooner or later you will cave in.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:24 AM
Orbit r
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Reply: Help with next step modding my GT3