Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

black box

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 03:31 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 610 Posts

Wonder too if the auto industry shouldn't be working harder to protect the interests of its clients? Auto industry should trump the insurance industry, and one can see how some car buyers might opt out of post-2014 vehicles....
Old 05-17-2012, 05:59 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

It is amazing to me, cuz the vast majority are simply lemmings (or don't know or don't care/don't understand the implications)....... a new car with their desired features, the payment amount fits and away they go...... off the dealers' lots and into their driveways/parking spots.....black box or no black box.

Progressive insurance company has this "niffty" little device they are offering to their customers. Plugs into the OBDII port collects data on how the car is driven and after 30 days....depending on what the compan learns, once the data is transmitted, they will offer a discount to the driver...simply fantastic, huh!? You voluntarily give up info, (they reduce risk- read more profit) and give you a miniscule (I'm sure) reduction

So, I have had a clean drving record for 15+ years (or more???) and am I getting the same "discounts?" Probably not. BUT, if I give them information on my driving habits (WTF) that they can upload, (Was I speeding....drive over 65 mph) they might offer me a reduction on my policy premium......sure sounds like a bonus for me, hey?...... i

it just never stops......

all I want for X-mas is a large jar of vasoline............,
well, maybe a good cigar, too.......hmmmmm, oh yeah, a bottle of really good scotch, hmmmmmm, and BTW, santa, please put the "RS" in the garage with a cover on it!, I've been really, really good, I learned to stop screaming since it doesn't truly hurt so much anymore............I'm almost used to it. *sigh*

Last edited by SWK6Cup; 05-17-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-17-2012, 06:12 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can think of a few hundred lawyers in Florida who will profit from this too. If anything cost of insurance will go up!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:19 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

i vote for a Sharkwerks Black Box bi-pass of some sorts.....
Old 05-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
i vote for a Sharkwerks Black Box bi-pass of some sorts.....
Old 05-20-2012, 07:22 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was afraid something like this was coming

The GTR has had this for a while, no? Limited until GPS detects a racetrack or something.

You'd think the auto industry would be concerned that the implementation of this device would result in the eventual evaporation of sales of their higher powered, more expensive cars.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:13 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What does this thing store? The last X minutes before a crash? Or all data for the last X days you have been driving?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:08 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by senna
Well, either pre 2015 cars will be the car to buy and drive untill the wheels come off. or we all get track dedicated cars, oh better idea. Don't vote for a democrat! Like EVER!!!
best advice I've seen on a board in moons!!!
Old 05-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
The problem isn't Democrat vs. Republican, the problem is corporatist legislators of BOTH parties who are in the pocket of the lobbyists - in this case, the insurance lobby. Need to ban any contributions by lobbyists or PACs to sitting legislators, or to candidates!
Well said. Preclude corruption at its source. Take away the money in politics.

It's certainly not a matter of being suckered into the false sense of choice between brand D or brand R -- there is no difference between Bush and Obama, nor Obama and Romney -- they're the same.

Of course if this bill fails, they'll get their lobbyists to write it again and eventually push through something worse.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:50 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No offense to all on this forum, but it does strike me as odd that the US is the closest country in the world where LEGALLY the country goes to the highest bidder...

Quick Reply: black box