Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

A prelude to my dream car ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:31 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts
Default A prelude to my dream car ...

Hi everyone. I wanted to formally introduce myself to the GT crowd and thank everyone for the free education. A little background. I bought my first Porsche in Sept 2009 purely based on the great deals that were to be had on the left over models. As you all can imagine, I contracted a lifelong illness/disease for which there is no cure.

About two months ago I was convinced that my next car would be a GT3RS. I have done my due dilligence by reading magazines, wathcing youtube videos, connecting with owners (thanks Sanchez DDS) via PM and reading threads on this section way back to the 2010 year. The car certainly must be:

1. A delightfully brilliant car to drive
2. Something very special
3. Last of a breed ie. Hydraulic steering, Mezger engine, short wheelbase, the
no frills simple, manual transmission and the handbrake.

Hence my love affair with the RS. Now comes to curve ball. I could spend 50k now by giving up my C4s (which is my first Porsche, my DD, my winter sled over a treacherous mountain) and get a RS telling to myself life is short

or

Hone my driving skills, learn car control, undertsand the handling dynamics, limits of the car, appreciate the engineering in the motorsport derived variants and then buy it to exploit and enjoy the car to just about perfection. So I came up with a strict gameplan. I call it my three year prelude to my dream car. This is what I want to establish in these three years.

1. I am now 195 lbs. I want to shed all the excess weight. No point in spending for a lithium ion battery and RS door straps if I have twice that amount of weight in me.

2. I have opened a separate account to save $$ for this dream car. I now have $ 10,000 saved towards my dream.

3. I will learn high performance driving by going to about 10 to 12 track sessions per year.

4. I will buy training wheels for my RS. The Porsche gods have already blessed me w/ this. Please see post # 32 on this if you just want to see pics of the car and not read the entire thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=76429 )

In conclusion, I feel that the route I have chosen for myself would take a lot of patience, practice and perseverance ... But ultimately the reward would be an unlimited thrilling experience. Yes, each time I see a RL'er (eg. Scott) or a classy dealer (Geoff At Isringhausen) sell my dream car it hurts as I ultimately want to get a car from a true enthusiast or a dealer who respects one. IMO, the journey to get there would be as exciting as the final destination. I would like to thank my family for their unrelenting support for my life long disease. I would love to hear from all of you. I will be posting in this section regularly to get to know you all. Thank you.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Hi welcome to these pages. You have great taste in cars!!

1. Eat more, drink more and get a coach..weight does not slow you down as much as lack of practice or lack of coaching :-)
2. Sell them all get RS. Interest is 3% for 72 months.
3. Include a coach from the beginning, RS is great training wheels.
4. See 1, 2 and 3 above.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:46 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Ha ha Love your advice. Peter. BTW, you are one of my heros ... I secretly admire you/your posts. I would love to hear the frank opinion of others too. Love it. I already have a coach lined up BTW.
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow! Bold move!
Have you ever done a DE?
Just looking at the pic's of that car is making want to get back on the track. Have to wait exactly three weeks from today though.
Congratulations.
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

1. Eat more, drink more and get a coach..weight does not slow you down as much as lack of practice or lack of coaching :-)
4. See 1, 2 and 3 above.

+1
Welcome!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:49 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

I have never ever been to a DS/DE event. Never even seen or smelt the track from a distance.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 833 Posts

4. See 1, 2 and 3 above.

+2
Old 05-14-2012, 10:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Ha ha Love your advice. Peter. BTW, you are one of my heros ... I secretly admire you/your posts. I would love to hear the frank opinion of others too. Love it. I already have a coach lined up BTW.
Oh wow, hum. Thanks. I'm just an with a key board
Even sold my RS !

As kyrocks says, how much track experience?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
I have never ever been to a DS/DE event. Never even seen or smelt the track from a distance.
Go!! Those cars, no DE. Was wrong with you!?
Don't tell the family, start a slush fund now..
Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche Sport Driving School. Do that before you even buy the car.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

I tracked my bone stock ex-997C2S and then my bone stock club coupe for about 5 years. Doing only 3 to 5 track days per year. After 5 years of my limited track driving, I ran with high intermediate and advanced groups and felt that I need to either start modding my C2S, or upgrade to some kind of GT3s.

Well, an open spot for a 2010 GT3RS became available for me to order and I thought might as well go all the way to the top and then keep the RS for a very long time. (who knows they will come out with a 4.0 two years later, damn it!)

My advise to the OP is to at least track your current C4S a few times before committing to buy an RS. You may or may not like tracking so don't jump to conclusion.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:53 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Even sold my RS !
Troll
Old 05-15-2012, 12:01 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
I tracked my bone stock ex-997C2S and then my bone stock club coupe for about 5 years. Doing only 3 to 5 track days per year. After 5 years of my limited track driving, I ran with high intermediate and advanced groups and felt that I need to either start modding my C2S, or upgrade to some kind of GT3s.

Well, an open spot for a 2010 GT3RS became available for me to order and I thought might as well go all the way to the top and then keep the RS for a very long time. (who knows they will come out with a 4.0 two years later, damn it!)

My advise to the OP is to at least track your current C4S a few times before committing to buy an RS. You may or may not like tracking so don't jump to conclusion.
If you read his first post, he already bought a wicked looking track car...air-cooled, modded to the hilt, full cage
Old 05-15-2012, 12:21 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

first all, i love your C4S and the 86' looks just right for a 911 of that vintage. Two cars that are hard to part with. Both clean and pure.
The C4S is a great all season daily driver but with a Cayenne you are ok without it.
The 86' is great classic air cooled example and for what you would get for it, it would be nice to hang on to it instead of selling it.

The RS is the purest of the pure. You will forget about all your other porsches with a GT3. You might as well list the 76' for sale too as you will not miss it with a GT3.
The GT3 just does everything easier and better including track time. Why bother learning with anything else?

You really need to feed your desire now. Waiting will only kill the buzz. The time is now. Nothing better than the feeling of spoiling yourself with something as candy flavoured like a GT3. Pure toy.

Come join the club!
Old 05-15-2012, 12:26 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should come to the track with us, we go to ORP and you are half way there (compared to me). Our track days are open lapping days without run groups, the only time you can't go out is lunch time (corner workers need to eat). Lots of experienced drivers that could help you with you lines.

Quick Reply: A prelude to my dream car ...