Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Effing Center Locks- The gift that keeps on giving

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 02:32 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

$172 buys a lot of grease.

I don't think you can guarantee they won't pop off. Next track day take one off when you get to the pits after a session. They are highly pressurized and literally fly off the wheel. It doesn't take much for them to do it on their own as I found out.

He said to leave the diet cap on or after each track day take the CL's apart clean them and re-grease them. He said the dust cap is there to seal out the inner part of the CL.
Yes, yes Adolf... next time we change the wheels it will be in a clean room free of dust particles larger than 1 micron. We will follow your 12 step greasing procedure, taking care not to get the effing grease on the wrong effing part, and not get the effing grease on our tools, clothes and hair else we look like amateurs. Then, we will carefully follow the 20 step wheel changing procedure, hope the center lock pops out, if not carefully remove the wheel and start over with steps 1 through 20. Thank-you, may I have another?
Old 05-09-2012, 04:06 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Mpntoya...just passing the info I got....yeah I don't know what to do either...probably run with out the caps.

Also looking at your pic...you should tape those wheels weights done with foil tape. I use a/c duct tape.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:42 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

I have never lost one on track, and i have not had this problem of them flying across the paddock upon removal. I also run with them off sometimes and have not found my CL gadgets particularly dirty or dusty...even following offs into the desert sands...
Old 05-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

I haven't had a dust cap on my car in over a year, just clean the nut as needed
Old 05-09-2012, 11:55 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

I wish Porsche had spent some time testing center lock wheels in their motorsports program before using them on their street cars.

Oh wait a second.. This is a different design.

I just don't get it.

I really don't get why they came up with this design. And now more and more regions are announcing at drivers meetings that they have the special Center-Lock torque wrench available for people who need it and that kind of scares me.

All this for a solution looking for a problem. First time I see someone change their 2010-12 center locks with a power torque wrench for a quick change I will be the first to shut up.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:13 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

dan, Porsche used the street car center locks in the 24hr Nurburgring race and used a power impact driver. For some reason they do not want civilians using them.

There was a picture of this floating around on this forum of the air gun being used to change a street car CL at this race.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:26 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drl
I have never lost one on track, and i have not had this problem of them flying across the paddock upon removal. I also run with them off sometimes and have not found my CL gadgets particularly dirty or dusty...even following offs into the desert sands...
Just so everyone knows, the dust cover came off the front driver's side where I had just replaced the center lock nut and locking mechanism. There is a new design to the center lock mechanism with more plastic than metal. Maybe it seals a little tighter, plus the center lock itself came greased from the factory. Both things combined probably sealed up the hub tighter and well, the dust cap popped like a cork.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:05 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I just push them in, but you haveto take care that they are seated, you can kinda feel them pop in securely.
I think it also has to do with humitedy and maybe car wash guys spraying water in them.
Water inside usually from high pressure car wash as Peter mentioned generates high pressure vapor inside the mechanism. Combined with a dust cap that may not be fully seated, it pops off.

I always run with dust caps installed, have only lost one cap two years ago, and I track a lot. My CL are dry inside and I lightly lube the o-rings with lithium grease. Avoid high pressure water aimed at the dust caps.

I hate the whole centerlock BS as much or more than anyone, but you should not be having the dust caps popping off.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:43 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
Water inside usually from high pressure car wash as Peter mentioned generates high pressure vapor inside the mechanism. Combined with a dust cap that may not be fully seated, it pops off.

I always run with dust caps installed, have only lost one cap two years ago, and I track a lot. My CL are dry inside and I lightly lube the o-rings with lithium grease. Avoid high pressure water aimed at the dust caps.

I hate the whole centerlock BS as much or more than anyone, but you should not be having the dust caps popping off.
Possible that water was the culprit since the car was washed and the wheels were cleaned when they came off to move my sway bars. No high pressure hose, but maybe just enough moisture seeped in to heat into steam. But really, it had been more than three days before the track day. And, the dust caps were fully seated, no issues there.

I'm just PO'd since this is a custom dust cap. Again, anyone know where to get them?
Old 05-09-2012, 04:14 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

does anyone like anything about the CLs?
Old 05-09-2012, 04:18 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I like them.

No problems. Looks nice, no 5 bolts to cross thread and no studs that brake off.
No big advantages, but the only disadvantage is thhat you need a truck pedal depressor and you have to buy more expensive tools.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like them so far. I actually think they're fairly easy to deal with once you get over the inital bite from buying tools...
Old 05-09-2012, 10:22 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

they are unique and do look cool
Old 05-09-2012, 10:27 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Yup, that's the old tried and true solution, but for the rainy days I rather have them sealed on the street.
U could always duct tape the holes on rainy days. Love duct tape and zipties!!! Mike
Old 05-09-2012, 11:11 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

I like them.

No problems. Looks nice, no 5 bolts to cross thread and no studs that brake off.
No big advantages, but the only disadvantage is thhat you need a truck pedal depressor and you have to buy more expensive tools.

Quick Reply: Effing Center Locks- The gift that keeps on giving