Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pirelli Trofeo wear after 4 track days w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012 | 11:33 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
So I need to run 30 F&R then? I'd figure with the extra weight of the turbo that a few more PSI would be good but you have way more experience with them. Thanks for the feedback!
Trofeos are designed for 29.5-30 psi hot. It always freaks people out to start with a cold pressure of 22 psi or so but that is how these are designed to operate.

For another ask your installer how many psi it took took to seat the bead to the wheel

If you try to add camber to move the contact patch towards the inboard end of the rears you will reduce traction, and increase the ripping out of the center tread blocks that you already have begun on the rear tires.
Old 05-09-2012 | 11:37 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Izzone
Id lIke to see how a set wears at Sebring

Roebling is murder on tires, left fronts especially
Very try Randy. I did swap side to side after each day to equal the wear out.

Originally Posted by savyboy
Doc- fronts look as good as it gets for Trofeos. Rears are over inflated- **don't exceed 30psi hot** Camber is fine.

I am on my fifth set and have tried a range of alignments, with a rear pressure change you are good to go.

Swap side to side after two days can help even and maximize the wear. Four track days for an aggressive driver is as good as it gets.
So I need to run 30 F&R then? I'd figure with the extra weight of the turbo that a few more PSI would be good but you have way more experience with them. Thanks for the feedback!
That explains the front wear

That is typical for roebling fronts
Old 05-09-2012 | 11:43 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Savy...what camber settings on a 997 car did you find worked with Trofeo?
Old 05-09-2012 | 12:14 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdrums
Savy...what camber settings on a 997 car did you find worked with Trofeo?
Since we are rehashing the Trofeo questions again, it is important to mention they do not wear well (and are slow) when driven with high slip angles or drift style corner exits. Smooth driving results in even wear (and fast lap times).

I am running OE geometry settings on my 4.0 which are:

Front -1.40
Rear -1.50

Current front tire (top photo) and rear tire (bottom photo)
Attached Images   
Old 05-09-2012 | 12:33 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdrums
If Doc is putting down 1:19 at Roebling I'd say he's fast....GT3 RS on better suspension does this same time or a second better with very good drivers that I know.

Thanks Mike! I was happy to hit the 1:19s first event out in the turbo. It has faster times in her.

Since we are rehashing the Trofeo questions again, it is important to mention they do not wear well (and are slow) when driven with high slip angles or drift style corner exits. Smooth driving results in even wear (and fast lap times).

Front -1.40
Rear -1.50

Ok, the wear looks similar to mine for the most part. I think that the heat 95-98 degrees and only having about 20-25 min cool down between sessions led to some of the modeling that occurred with the rubber too.

I'm happy with them and I think I will go with the Trofeo Rs when they come out.
Old 05-09-2012 | 08:50 PM
TT Chris
Instructor

Doc- fronts look as good as it gets for Trofeos. Rears are over inflated- **don't exceed 30psi hot** Camber is fine.

I am on my fifth set and have tried a range of alignments, with a rear pressure change you are good to go.

Swap side to side after two days can help even and maximize the wear. Four track days for an aggressive driver is as good as it gets.
I'm running these on my 997.2 Turbo with 325/245. Since the turbo weighs quite a bit more would it make sense to run a bit more pressure?
Old 05-09-2012 | 09:15 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

I will be going to an OZ Ultraleggera in 19X8.5 and 19 X11 but with better offsets then stockers and 12 lbs overall lighter a set.
If you are going to get a set of track wheels, why not get some more benefit out of them and get them in different sizes? You could get a set of OZ Challenge Racing wheels in 18x9/18x11 or 18x13 for about the same price and significantly lighter. 18" tires should be less costly. Currently they only have Trefeos as wide as a 295, but this is optimal for a 11" wide wheel anyways. If you stick with 19"s, I would recommend to step up to 19x9.0/19x12.0 wheels.
Old 05-09-2012 | 10:06 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
If you are going to get a set of track wheels, why not get some more benefit out of them and get them in different sizes? You could get a set of OZ Challenge Racing wheels in 18x9/18x11 or 18x13 for about the same price and significantly lighter. 18" tires should be less costly. Currently they only have Trefeos as wide as a 295, but this is optimal for a 11" wide wheel anyways. If you stick with 19"s, I would recommend to step up to 19x9.0/19x12.0 wheels.
I didn't think they made the Challenge in 5 bolt. I have a turbo so I have to watch the front/rear wheel height difference for the center diff.
Old 05-09-2012 | 10:39 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Front -1.40
Rear -1.50

That's very little camber. You can see the outside wear on both front and rears.
Old 05-09-2012 | 10:55 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
That's very little camber. You can see the outside wear on both front and rears.
I was concerned when I put these on that the camber might be insufficient but that is a typical wear pattern for Trofeos that are working well. If you try to move the wear inboard you get some severe feathering of the 2nd outermost and center tread blocks.

The good news about less camber is that the car is super planted under hard braking, no rear end dance. Greater camber (among other things, of course) contributes to dance.

Combined with the fact that I set fastest time of all entries (several full-on race cars on slicks) in both Club Trials and Track Trials race two weeks ago at my local track tells me they are working

All self-aggrandizement aside...lol...these tires reward a driver that keep an eagle eye on pressures and willingness to tweak alignment. As well, different wheel sizes/offsets and car weights may benefit from a different set-up. The soft compound speaks to you very quickly if it is not happy.

Originally Posted by TT Chris
I'm running these on my 997.2 Turbo with 325/245. Since the turbo weighs quite a bit more would it make sense to run a bit more pressure?
Ultimately the only way to answer that is with a friend and needle pyrometer

But the Trofeo tire sizes you and I both run were originally designed to be used on a GT2
Old 05-09-2012 | 11:19 PM
mdrums
Race Director

For me to try out different tires and tweak alignment .....I need to learn how to do my own string alignment set ups.
Old 05-10-2012 | 01:16 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

My latest set of r6s are wearing at the very outer edge, in areas barely cording. They presently have 3 days, 15 hc. Most recent alignment also has 3 days, front camber -3. I am still fiddling with hot pressures but range has been 30-33 or so.

Trying to figure out this wear pattern. Alignment now out of whack? Car pushing too much? Last day was quite hot and maybe max temps were higher than i recall?

I did not even notice this until i was home, after the last day, and i take wheels off after each track day. The car actually felt great, and that day i beat my fastest time by 1.5 sec and had the most fast and consistent times ever at that track.

What else might be causing this?
Old 05-10-2012 | 07:20 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

How do they compare for speed (lap times?) ?
Old 05-10-2012 | 10:13 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MC 968CS
How do they compare for speed (lap times?) ?
I did have my personal best at RRR by a margin of 2.3 seconds over my last Porsche. The 997 turbo has more power and AWD but my TPC turbocharged 911S weighed less. The 911S was on 235/295 R888s. I would say that at least 1.5 sec of that was tire and the other was better balance of the AWD coming out of the corners quicker. That's where I would get some power-on oversteer on the TPC 911S.

Quick Reply: Pirelli Trofeo wear after 4 track days w/ pics