Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Darkside DE Video with Data

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Darkside DE Video with Data

I figured most of the track rats hang in here so you would appreciate it.

A little video from Sunday on the new suspension. This is my 1st attempt at Race-Keeper so bare with me but you get the point. I already ordered the wind noise cover for the mic as well! LOL. This is 3 laps with a full tank of fuel, passenger, traffic, and low 90 degree temps! Not to shabby for a fat turbo! Best today was in the 1:19s.

Track: Roebling Road in Savannah, GA. I tried Leh Keen's line into 4 and 7 a few times and compared them to my old lines in Race-Keeper. Pretty cool stuff!

Setup: GMG springs & sway bars, Tarett end links, GT3 LCAs, Pirelli Trofeos, and proper alignment.

A little fly by:

Old 05-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

For those of you who wanted to know about the Pirelli Trofeos, here is my feedback. These are the originals, not the new Trofeo Rs.

I ran stock turbo size 235/305. They are better then the MPSC and R888s that I've used before. Quiet, predictable, and lots of stick! If Hoosier made a grooved DOT tire, this would be it! LOL.

Now, they do wear quite a bit more then the Toyos. I will pull them off this week and clean them up to check them out. I do double duty them with the wife so a 2 day event is really 4 track days of use every time we hit the track. I'm in red and she is a very fast blue.

Where I usually get 10-11 days out of the Toyos, I'm thinking I will get 6 days out of these. This is the main reason Pirelli went to the Trofeo R. Those should be the ****!
Old 05-07-2012, 01:34 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Looks good Doc....boy does Race Keeper have the worst audio ever? WOW....I HATE (strong word) my Race Keepers audio...I've tried everything except the low gain mic. Also I'm still convinced that Race Keeper HD video is not true HD...no way no how.

Anyway, would love to hear the final report of the Troefo's and pics of the wear. I'm thinking of getting 245/305 in these....235 front is just too skinny for track use.

If I don't get the Trofeo's I will sell off my 19" OZ wheels and get some 18" wheels and go back to 255/315 Toyo R888.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:18 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Nice, way to represent FI!
Old 05-07-2012, 02:51 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 92 Posts

Race-Keeper audio should not be a problem.. The mic should have a rubber windscreen bootie and you can locate it completely out of the way of wind etc..

I had a race-keeper last summer. No problem with Audio. But I didn't like the video quality - a lot of video noise, but nothing like this.. The video clip here does shows that something is wrong.. Is the HD license installed? The hardware is VERY sensitive to media when you are loading configurations, firmware or the HD license upgrade. Any extraneous files - especially hidden ones will throw it off.

If you have a Mac and are using parallels, those little hidden files that Mac's put on media will throw the hardware off. To Load config's and licenses, make sure that there is NOTHING else but the license or config file on the USB stick - no hidden files or it will not process and load.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:39 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Dan, I bought a Toshiba PC lap top to use only with Race Keeper. I have 1 thumb drive only used to update Race Keeper and my small SD card is only for recording Race Keeper video/data.

I've verified and tried everything...the audio is better than Doc's but it's not good and the HD video is absolutely NOT HD, no matter what Race Keeper says...I've called and talked to Race Keeper and they claim HD but I give up...I really don't think they know what HD video really looks like.

However for Race Keeper video and training and learn the video works OK. For keeping my track video's to view years down the road or show friends on my HD tv I use Go Pro camera.

As soon as something comes out that is simple, easy to use is real HD and decent audio I'm selling my Race Keeper and switching. I like my friends Trackmate video/data they use with Go Pro camera's but I hear Trackmate is hard to use and complicated.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I like my friends Trackmate video/data they use with Go Pro camera's but I hear Trackmate is hard to use and complicated.
TRAQMATE is simple

They just came out with a Gopro auto connect thing, I will try it this weekend if my car gets back from dealer soon enough to install
Old 05-07-2012, 04:40 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

+1 traqmate 4 yrs without a glitch...may upgrade to gopro.. may make me faster like randy

DOC nice driving lot faster than OUR old 997s

mk
Old 05-07-2012, 05:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

Nice driving and when the microphone picks up the car sounds evil enough.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dan212
Race-Keeper audio should not be a problem.. The mic should have a rubber windscreen bootie and you can locate it completely out of the way of wind etc..

I had a race-keeper last summer. No problem with Audio. But I didn't like the video quality - a lot of video noise, but nothing like this.. The video clip here does shows that something is wrong.. Is the HD license installed? The hardware is VERY sensitive to media when you are loading configurations, firmware or the HD license upgrade. Any extraneous files - especially hidden ones will throw it off.

If you have a Mac and are using parallels, those little hidden files that Mac's put on media will throw the hardware off. To Load config's and licenses, make sure that there is NOTHING else but the license or config file on the USB stick - no hidden files or it will not process and load.

Good info. I am using a Mac Book Pro with parallels. I have not loaded the HD license so I guess I need to do that . . . LOL.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:01 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Izzone
TRAQMATE is simple

They just came out with a Gopro auto connect thing, I will try it this weekend if my car gets back from dealer soon enough to install
What's your beauty doing at the dealer now?

Yeah I love Go Pro and like the idea of being able to use it with Traqmate...I wish Race Keeper would get it together with their video and audio issues.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

I just downloaded the Dual Stream/HD export upgrade and license. Looking at the example on the site, it should liven up the video.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mkk62
+1 traqmate 4 yrs without a glitch...may upgrade to gopro.. may make me faster like randy

DOC nice driving lot faster than OUR old 997s

mk
You're telling me Mike!!!

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Nice driving and when the microphone picks up the car sounds evil enough.
Thanks Peter, the car does sound mean and the torque coming out of the corners is insane! You can literally leave it in 4th the entire infield and just hit 5th on the front straight.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:56 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 92 Posts

DOC -

If you are using Parallels, you need to be especially careful.. OSX automatically creates a hidden .DS_Store file.. If you insert the USB key and say its available ONLY for Windows, this should prevent this, but still view the volume and look for hidden files in windows and eject in windows. If visible in OSX you will need to go to terminal mode and delete hidden files. PM me if you don't know how to do this.

If there are hidden files on the USB key, RK won't load the configs, licenses or firmware updates. It won't tell you there is an error. It just won't happen. Its been a while. but you should see a yellow "transferring" light flashing if it is actually reading your data from the USB key. In simple terms, if you don't see the power up lights go through a different sequence, its probably not reading the USB data key.

One other things. Most people configure RK to start recording once you are rolling above a certain speed. Sounds like the easiest way to set things up. I found at CMP last fall that the unit wasn't always acquiring a GPS signal within the 30 second power up. If that happens it won't record. Happened to two other guys with Race-Keepers. Probably a rare event since you should usually see several GPS satellites, but if your RK mysteriously doesn't record once you hit your target speed that the problem and you just need to press the record button by hand. Just an FYI.

As to video quality. It seems as though Race-Keeper embeds data with its video. Never a good idea to interfere with the frame content of video or insert extra content for various video and software processing reasons.While the bit rate shows a high quality recording, there is too much video noise given that bit rate. The actual video bit rate isn't that high.. But with the HI-DEF license the quality is good enough to make you happy.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:59 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
For those of you who wanted to know about the Pirelli Trofeos, here is my feedback. These are the originals, not the new Trofeo Rs.

I ran stock turbo size 235/305. They are better then the MPSC and R888s that I've used before. Quiet, predictable, and lots of stick! If Hoosier made a grooved DOT tire, this would be it! LOL.

Now, they do wear quite a bit more then the Toyos. I will pull them off this week and clean them up to check them out. I do double duty them with the wife so a 2 day event is really 4 track days of use every time we hit the track. I'm in red and she is a very fast blue.

Where I usually get 10-11 days out of the Toyos, I'm thinking I will get 6 days out of these. This is the main reason Pirelli went to the Trofeo R. Those should be the ****!
Doc, your experience with the Trofeos is the same as mine. They are great tires, with the only downside being relatively fast wear. Thanks for the videos too.

Originally Posted by mdrums
Looks good Doc....boy does Race Keeper have the worst audio ever? WOW....I HATE (strong word) my Race Keepers audio...I've tried everything except the low gain mic. Also I'm still convinced that Race Keeper HD video is not true HD...no way no how.

Anyway, would love to hear the final report of the Troefo's and pics of the wear. I'm thinking of getting 245/305 in these....235 front is just too skinny for track use.

If I don't get the Trofeo's I will sell off my 19" OZ wheels and get some 18" wheels and go back to 255/315 Toyo R888.
Mike, it is time to buy a set. You may sneak up on a few GT3s driven by the rest of the Florida guys.

Quick Reply: Darkside DE Video with Data