Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Darkside DE Video with Data

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Must be a lucky lotto thing. It either works perfectly or is intermittent. I know a bunch of racers that have dumped them for that very reason.
Yup, agreed.

Also, I am no fan of the new TM display. Ugh.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:05 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Um no, it's not. A real display is one that comes WITH the unit, and can be used to control the unit. I had no problem with the old TM display, at least you could choose sessions, drivers, tracks, control what kind of data you were recording, without having to switch back and forth between your cell phone and the data system. That is not a real display.

Race Keeper needs to make one.
I'm happy with mine. I use a $50 old ipod touch and leave it permanently in the car on the dash. Way cheaper than what any manufacturer would charge for a display. And my RK is setup to automatically start and stop recording based on speed/time variable so I don't need recording control. It gives me current time/lap, best time, shift points, etc... The only thing I really miss about my TM display is the predicative lap timer and the ability to remember different S/F lines. I have to manually set them each time I got to a different track, regardless if I have been there before or not. That's kind of a nuisance.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:06 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yup, agreed.

Also, I am no fan of the new TM display. Ugh.
Nick has it in his car. I really like it. Not so much a fan of the price, but it has some great functionality and looks good. It is a little busy with buttons but once you get used to it, the unit works nicely.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:08 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Traqmate is very sensitive to install and settings. The software is very counter intuitive.
This would be OK if they had good support or a good forum, but both have been useless to me.

It was a diaster for the first couple of years until they gained a more local dealer who re-installed and set everything up right, as well as gave me a hands on training and support over the phone as the manuals are terrible. The last 2 years it has been much better, yet still no data or video sometimes for no appearant reason.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

The RK forums are not helpful either. The staff there only checks them occasionally. I would think there would be more activity in both forums.

Maybe they should start a data forum on here Might actually be a good idea.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Traqmate is very sensitive to install and settings. The software is very counter intuitive.
This would be OK if they had good support or a good forum, but both have been useless to me.

It was a diaster for the first couple of years until they gained a more local dealer who re-installed and set everything up right, as well as gave me a hands on training and support over the phone as the manuals are terrible. The last 2 years it has been much better, yet still no data or video sometimes for no appearant reason.
I think you and Burke are kryptonite to computers......TM is easy, I never have a problem.....my video never doesnt start

Only probelm I ever had was a loose wire from an improper Greek engineering install

you guys should use sport crono, it is more simple for your brain
Old 05-08-2012, 11:34 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
I think you and Burke are kryptonite to computers......TM is easy, I never have a problem.....my video never doesnt start

Only probelm I ever had was a loose wire from an improper Greek engineering install

I think they let greeks build every other unit. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:40 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone

Haha, +1, most of the issues with TM have been user error with install. It's not hard, the plugs only fit one way. Stick the GPS in clear view and go. My only problem was when my GPS wire got frayed and the signal kept going in and out. But that was from taking it in and out and loaning it to everyone I know.

TM is not the end all, I really do like that new AIM Solo too, and I like race-keeper too. But I'm spoiled by a real display. I do like being able to set up everything from the traqdash though, and it's really easy to see and control with gloves on.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:14 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Mine was installed correctly. Just sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. No real reason why.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Burke I need help getting my iDash iPod touch working. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I'm also going to require RK unit behind passenger set... Not looking forward to taking the wires out.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 813 Posts

Nick has it in his car. I really like it. Not so much a fan of the price, but it has some great functionality and looks good. It is a little busy with buttons but once you get used to it, the unit works nicely.
Bleh. Too flashy, too many buttons when all I would really want is a true display a la Aim or MoTeC. But I can see why it has appeal...
Old 05-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

The RK forums are not helpful either. The staff there only checks them occasionally. I would think there would be more activity in both forums.

Maybe they should start a data forum on here Might actually be a good idea.
You can call Steve with RK anytime. He is a great source of info and help. He is out of Jax, FL.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:46 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For your sound problems, install one of these inline: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102975

It's only $9 and you can adjust the gain very accurately. It changed my videos from distorted sound like this:

To nice sound like this:
Old 05-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fc-racer
For your sound problems, install one of these inline: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102975

It's only $9 and you can adjust the gain very accurately. It changed my videos from distorted sound like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzGs7pNIBio

To nice sound like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qAeXWvByEk
Good idea! My local Radio Shack has them in stock.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:57 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The AiM Solo DL and AiM SmartyCAM make Traqmate look 20+ years obsolete.

I'm done with Traqmate.

I consider Race Keeper too complex, not user friendly.

The AiM stuff is so plug-and-play, videos already come merged with data in .MOV format easily editable with QuickTime. The ODBII plug provides vital car data and charges the smartycam and solo DL. No need for external GPS antenna. Cool stuff and easy to use.

LolaMan (Peter) support is too valuable, makes my AiM experience much better.

Next stage, data coaching from Lolaman.

Quick Reply: Darkside DE Video with Data