Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Darkside DE Video with Data

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:21 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkk62
+1 traqmate 4 yrs without a glitch...may upgrade to gopro.. may make me faster like randy

DOC nice driving lot faster than OUR old 997s

mk
+1 Traqmate has been good for me too, thought about the gopro, but by the time you by the extra traqmate stuff and the camera, it's like $700. Pass. I like my Contour HD, just put it in turn it on, slide to record, slide off and it turns off by itself. Syncing takes a minute tops, and that's if you DON'T start the traqmate and camera at the same time.

Race Keeper have a display yet?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dan212
DOC -

If you are using Parallels, you need to be especially careful.. OSX automatically creates a hidden .DS_Store file.. If you insert the USB key and say its available ONLY for Windows, this should prevent this, but still view the volume and look for hidden files in windows and eject in windows. If visible in OSX you will need to go to terminal mode and delete hidden files. PM me if you don't know how to do this.

If there are hidden files on the USB key, RK won't load the configs, licenses or firmware updates. It won't tell you there is an error. It just won't happen. Its been a while. but you should see a yellow "transferring" light flashing if it is actually reading your data from the USB key. In simple terms, if you don't see the power up lights go through a different sequence, its probably not reading the USB data key.

One other things. Most people configure RK to start recording once you are rolling above a certain speed. Sounds like the easiest way to set things up. I found at CMP last fall that the unit wasn't always acquiring a GPS signal within the 30 second power up. If that happens it won't record. Happened to two other guys with Race-Keepers. Probably a rare event since you should usually see several GPS satellites, but if your RK mysteriously doesn't record once you hit your target speed that the problem and you just need to press the record button by hand. Just an FYI.

As to video quality. It seems as though Race-Keeper embeds data with its video. Never a good idea to interfere with the frame content of video or insert extra content for various video and software processing reasons.While the bit rate shows a high quality recording, there is too much video noise given that bit rate. The actual video bit rate isn't that high.. But with the HI-DEF license the quality is good enough to make you happy.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I have made the memory stick only available on the windows side and the yellow transfer light is coming on. No issues with the auto record at 20mph. The auto off after 5 min of idle screwed me for a session so I just changed that to manual on/off.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wanna911
+1 Traqmate has been good for me too, thought about the gopro, but by the time you by the extra traqmate stuff and the camera, it's like $700. Pass. I like my Contour HD, just put it in turn it on, slide to record, slide off and it turns off by itself. Syncing takes a minute tops, and that's if you DON'T start the traqmate and camera at the same time.

Race Keeper have a display yet?
Yes, iDash which uses any iPod touch with a bluetooth connection. It gives you your selected data and you can set a shift light, act on it.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

+1 traqmate 4 yrs without a glitch...may upgrade to gopro.. may make me faster like randy

DOC nice driving lot faster than OUR old 997s

mk
+2 on TraqMate, also 4 years fault free.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:07 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

I Do think Traqmate is the best of the easy DA systems around. AIM is very powerful but the learning curve is higher. Traqmate gives you useful data in seconds. No need to buy sync hardware. You can sync by hand in less than a minute using a couple of data points (noise, lateral movement, stop & go, rev etc).

I have a remote control for my GoPro that works like the cats pajamas: ynotsportshots@yahoo.com
Press the button and LED comes on when the camera powers up. Press the button and the LED goes off when the camera goes off.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:38 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Yes, iDash which uses any iPod touch with a bluetooth connection. It gives you your selected data and you can set a shift light, act on it.

I knew about that, I meant a real display.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Not yet. For me I jus wanted to get data to compare laps to see where I can go faster, ect. We used it with my wife in the blue group and she shaved off a total of 4 secs over the 2 days. Amazing! Her fastest lap was a 1:23.45.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:41 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Looks good Doc....boy does Race Keeper have the worst audio ever? WOW....I HATE (strong word) my Race Keepers audio...I've tried everything except the low gain mic. Also I'm still convinced that Race Keeper HD video is not true HD...no way no how.
My audio is fine. You need to work on your mic placement. I put the kitten over my mic, and then buried it in the ECU compartment. You just need to get it out of the wind noise. Ideally under the dash would be a good spot too. If you need it more muted, wrap MF towels around the kitten till you get the audio you like.

It's not HD. It's SD upconverted. So it's better than SD but not as good as HD. The go pro has much better video. With that being said, its a tool for studying lines rather than shooting a documentary of our on track exploits They are going to launch a full HD version down the road. At that time they won't have any competitors.

mk
I had a so so experience with TM. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Marrying up the video to the data was equally frustrating. I did eventually have the whole unit overhauled at great expense, but still didn't care for it. The RK data analysis seems easier to me too. Not to mention the TPS sensor is incredibly valuable. The only downside is our FL group uses TM almost exclusively. On the bright side I can import their TM data into RK, but I cant send it to any of them to look at.

The OP's video looks pretty good. When he starts exploring some of the options you can really liven up the appearance of the data.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:44 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

It is a real display and works just fine. Ten times better than the original ****e TM B&W head unit. Plus you can jam your tunes while driving I actually know one person who runs it on their ipad. I will say the new TM display is nice, but it should be for $800+ bucks.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:45 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
+2 on TraqMate, also 4 years fault free.
Must be a lucky lotto thing. It either works perfectly or is intermittent. I know a bunch of racers that have dumped them for that very reason.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:55 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

My mic has dead kitten on it and is buried near the rear shock tower...audio is still distorted and not high quality.

So your mic is under the passenger seat? I was thinking the placement I now have would work and pick up mostly exhaust sound but is it more of a distorted roar...not wind noise.

Originally Posted by deputydog95
My audio is fine. You need to work on your mic placement. I put the kitten over my mic, and then buried it in the ECU compartment. You just need to get it out of the wind noise. Ideally under the dash would be a good spot too. If you need it more muted, wrap MF towels around the kitten till you get the audio you like.

It's not HD. It's SD upconverted. So it's better than SD but not as good as HD. The go pro has much better video. With that being said, its a tool for studying lines rather than shooting a documentary of our on track exploits They are going to launch a full HD version down the road. At that time they won't have any competitors.

I had a so so experience with TM. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Marrying up the video to the data was equally frustrating. I did eventually have the whole unit overhauled at great expense, but still didn't care for it. The RK data analysis seems easier to me too. Not to mention the TPS sensor is incredibly valuable. The only downside is our FL group uses TM almost exclusively. On the bright side I can import their TM data into RK, but I cant send it to any of them to look at.

The OP's video looks pretty good. When he starts exploring some of the options you can really liven up the appearance of the data.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I talked to Race Keeper and they will swap out my mic for the low gain mic plus the money difference. Race Keeper is cool about doing things like this.

I'm first going to try under the dash...if I still get a distorted sound then I'll do the swap.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:00 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

My mic has dead kitten on it and is buried near the rear shock tower...audio is still distorted and not high quality.

So your mic is under the passenger seat? I was thinking the placement I now have would work and pick up mostly exhaust sound but is it more of a distorted roar...not wind noise.
Put it under the ECU cover with the kitten. That way you're close to the engine but there is still a barrier. Your exhaust is much louder than mine so you may want to put a MF towel around the kitten to mute it some. You can accomplish the same thing as the low gain mic by doing that. My fear with the low gain mic is that you can't turn it up if you're not satisfied. That's designed for open wheel open cockpit cars.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:03 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by deputydog95
It is a real display and works just fine. Ten times better than the original ****e TM B&W head unit. Plus you can jam your tunes while driving I actually know one person who runs it on their ipad. I will say the new TM display is nice, but it should be for $800+ bucks.
Um no, it's not. A real display is one that comes WITH the unit, and can be used to control the unit. I had no problem with the old TM display, at least you could choose sessions, drivers, tracks, control what kind of data you were recording, without having to switch back and forth between your cell phone and the data system. That is not a real display.

Race Keeper needs to make one.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

What's your beauty doing at the dealer now?
One of the acessories in the back broke, belt is shredded and sounds like popcorn when running

I think the bearing in the idler pulley is at fault, but thats just a stupid guess by me

Quick Reply: Darkside DE Video with Data