Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lowly GTS Went To Orbit!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 12:31 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Lowly GTS Went To Orbit!

Yeah I know...it's not a real GT car...I get that but I'm doing the best I can for now and it seems like the guys on this forum are more into what I'm into...you all just get to drive cooler cars than the lowly GTS.

So I had a few issues I wanted help with and it seems like the only place that could fully understand and actually do the work was Orbit Racing in south east Florida.

Eddie, Roger and Steve really took care of me last week. My awesome neighbor let me borrow his plush F150 and trailer so I could tow my car over and then head down to Miami for business. All you SE Florida guys are so lucky to have a place like Orbit in the neighborhood. Orbit is so dang clean that I could drop my gum on the floor and pick it up and keep,on chewing! That's says a lot about a shop...when it's clean and highly organized it always seems like the moral is great, service is great and best of all the shop knows what it's doing. Of course Orbits racing history speaks volumes too. Also we have Eddie right here on our forum and he is a de friend of mine so I felt really good about leaving my GTS with orbit.

I searched and looked all over for an adjustable sway bar solution for my car. Due to the slightly wider rear cross member a GT3 sway bar would not fit. Some places wanted to just swap out the crossmember for the smaller gt3 version. What I found is that for some reason the PDK cars have a slightly wider beefier crossmember and I wanted to leave that alone. Orbit agreed too. So Eddie and Roger had a custom rear sway built for the my car. Now that is cool huh?

I also had some alignment issues. My front drivers side wheel looked to be pushed way out to the edge almost past the front fender. While the passengers side wheel was more inset. I showed this to a few other places and they couldn't figure out why. My lower control arms had the same amount of shims they would tell me but they couldn't figure it out. Well it took Steve at Orbit all,of 15 sec to see that my front subframe was shifted over to the drivers side.

I gave Orbit my alignment spec I had the car set to. They found that those specs were not with in spec...example...front camber was supposed to be -2.5 and it was at least -3. So Orbit fixed all that with a proper quality string alignment with the car sitting proper equipment for a string alignment.

Orbit did find out that my car sits slightly lower on the drivers side. The springs seem to be sagging. Car only has 7k miles on it so that's odd but the lowly GTS does not have adjustable ride height like all the real GT3 cars here have. So that has got me thinking about a real set of adjustable coil overs...man Orbit is like the dang crack house! LOL

So anyway, I would like to put out a HUGE thanks to Eddie and all at Orbit for their honesty, treating me like I have real GT based car, taking super care of my car and daily follow ups on the progress. I can't wait to get back to the track!
Old 05-02-2012, 12:49 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 45 Posts

Stop saying "lowly GTS", it's a fine car!

Great to see yet another example of solid customer service and expertise at Orbit!

Last edited by SSTHO; 05-02-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:30 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing lowly about your car at all.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:52 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

lowly? The last Carrera with a proper steering? And a black one? Come on!

About your alignment issues, it's good that they sorted it out and it wasn't anything serious, 'cause for a moment it sounded like it could be muffler bearings.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:58 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums

I also had some alignment issues. My front drivers side wheel looked to be pushed way out to the edge almost past the front fender. While the passengers side wheel was more inset. I showed this to a few other places and they couldn't figure out why. My lower control arms had the same amount of shims they would tell me but they couldn't figure it out. Well it took Steve at Orbit all,of 15 sec to see that my front subframe was shifted over to the drivers side.
Funny you mentioned this Mike! I think my front end is exactly the same, that is, aligned with the same number of shims etc but one wheel sits more inset and the other more flush... Pointed it out a couple of times but nothing has been done about it at the dealership... Obviously they have some half blind guy bolting these up on the production line, lol..

Whats involved in getting it right? Is it just a simple case of undoing the bolts holding the subframe, kicking the fker across a whisker and re-torquing?

I'm toying with the concept of learning to do string alignments and doing them myself rather then spending hundreds on medioca work...

Glad the Orbit boys looked after you!
Old 05-02-2012, 06:32 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 363 Posts

Oh great, now you'll be even faster zipping by me. And if your car is lowly, my car is total doormat material.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Yeah lowly GTS which was outrunning my 6GT3 on the straights at Sebring. . Glad you got adj bar or bars it will make setting up your Super GTS much more funner I would much rather have adj bars over adj shocks if I had to pick one.

Peter
Old 05-02-2012, 09:23 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,667 Likes on 774 Posts

Lowly my a$$. A couple more afternoons at Orbit and it will be in GT3 territory.

Yes, we are lucky to have them close by! I'm even luckier that my brother drives by them twice a day on the way to work and back, so I have full service pickup and delivery LOL..
Even from further away, if you do not have a good shop, it really pay to ship or drive to a shop that really knows what they are doing.

My car came with the rear subframe not 100% straight. The car was pulling slightly with a prefect allignment. Orbit went as far as duplicating my entire setup on another brand new RS to verify and double check everything..
A good shop knows that the cars are just bolted together at the factory. Fine for driving on the road and most would never know, but it pays to go from the tub out for the first corner balance and allignment
Old 05-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,668 Likes on 861 Posts

Mike, as others said, don't underestimate your car. GTS's have won top spots in the last 2 CTSCC races against lofty competition.

See you at Sebring in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:16 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Great choice Mike! Lowly GTS my butt..... I'm sure after a few more trips you'll be right up there with the GT3s. With the Grand Am teams successfully shifting to DFI 3.8s it's only a matter of time before some of that technology shifts down to your car
Old 05-02-2012, 10:39 AM
mdrums
Race Director

LOL...the lowly is a joke amongst friends....I call it lowly because the group of DE track friends I hang with have uber baller RS and .2 GT3's.

The lowly GTS (just joking again) needs GT3 sized brakes and some sort of height adjustable coil over, baller suspension joints like Izzone has and the rubber junk removed....GTS has tons of rubber mounted everywhere...even more than a real GT3 car. That stuff and more coaching and better tires and I might get out of the Coffee Cup Series of GT3DE Cup.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 363 Posts

And since we are tossing out some love, seeing that Wes just posted, I also feel fortunate to have Titan nearby. They have some great talent in their shop and are outstanding with customer service. Wes is a great source of knowledge on all things related to go fast mods for Porsches and owns a beautiful white 996 GT3. Speaking of Grand Am cars, the Rum Bum car was at Titan a few weeks ago having some cage work done. That is a sweet car!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:41 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Mike, as others said, don't underestimate your car. GTS's have won top spots in the last 2 CTSCC races against lofty competition.

See you at Sebring in a couple of weeks.
Looking forward to seeing you at Sebring. Who are you coaching?

Yeah!!!! How about BGB and Rum Bum with their lowly Carrera S cars and the 9A1 engine with the X51 package tearing it up in the Conti Rolex series. Maybe my 9A1 engine will get some respect it deserves.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:42 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
And since we are tossing out some love, seeing that Wes just posted, I also feel fortunate to have Titan nearby. They have some great talent in their shop and are outstanding with customer service. Wes is a great source of knowledge on all things related to go fast mods for Porsches and owns a beautiful white 996 GT3
Good to know about Titan...Orlando isn't too far.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,668 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Looking forward to seeing you at Sebring. Who are you coaching?

Yeah!!!! How about BGB and Rum Bum with their lowly Carrera S cars and the 9A1 engine with the X51 package tearing it up in the Conti Rolex series. Maybe my 9A1 engine will get some respect it deserves.
I am doing my current contract with PBOC, where I observe all Super Solo and Solo/Instructor drivers from various corners throughout the weekend, and then give debriefs on why I observed each driver doing for those interested after each session. I am prettty sure I will also be driving a couple of cars to help lay down some data.

Quick Reply: Lowly GTS Went To Orbit!