3.8 RS used prices moving up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 02:36 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
^ stop by S.F anytime!
Thanks Larry! You and Mike were most gracious when I was trying to plan out a trip with my 997.2 GT3 to Laguna Seca, Thunder Hill and Infineon last year (wife won last year with our Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Paris, London, Brussels trip).

IF I get back into a GT3 of sorts, I would love to try and do that trip this year between June - September to meet up with you guys and share some track time! It would make me feel whole prior to leaving North America.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTHO
Thanks Larry! You and Mike were most gracious when I was trying to plan out a trip with my 997.2 GT3 to Laguna Seca, Thunder Hill and Infineon last year (wife won last year with our Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Paris, London, Brussels trip).

IF I get back into a GT3 of sorts, I would love to try and do that trip this year between June - September to meet up with you guys and share some track time! It would make me feel whole prior to leaving North America.
keep us posted, we can make it happen ...

p.s
I would have chosen Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Paris, London and Brussels too!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I think we are seeing some seasonal fluctuation in prices.

While I don't see 3.8 RS prices dropping like stones, I certainly don't see them rising to and beyond 991GT3 PDK levels, either - unless Porsche does something really, really stupid with the new car.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:58 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I think we are seeing some seasonal fluctuation in prices.

While I don't see 3.8 RS prices dropping like stones, I certainly don't see them rising to and beyond 991GT3 PDK levels, either - unless Porsche does something really, really stupid with the new car.
Porsche already did something really stupid with the 991, and it is about to bury the 991 GT3 with more stupidness.

Also, the 991 has moved up the price range, a 991 S is as expensive with basic options as a 997.2 GT3 was.

3.8RS used prices have been rising in the last 8 months. You cannot find $108k pristine 3.8RS anymore, and I know of a couple that sold on that price range. 8 months ago $115k surely landed a 3.8RS, today, you need to budget for $130k to shop for the same car. The supply of 3.8RS is limited, despite of near 600 cars in U.S., the only logical replacement or upgrade car from VW is the 4.0RS at a $100k premium, so most 3.8RS won't jump that bridge.

I think the GT3 dies with the 4.0RS.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I think the GT3 dies with the 4.0RS.
Agreed....the next one will be a videogame lke your Fiat
Old 05-01-2012, 06:19 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
Agreed....the next one will be a videogame lke your Fiat
My Playstation Fiat has a real race engine, a 4.3 V8 dry-sump (same engine raced in F430 Challenge, FIA-GT3, detuned for FIA GT2, plus many European series), a race transmission (truly tested in racing conditions), fully defeatable electronic assistance (except the ABS and the diff), a racing ABS (not the VW Aero Beetles Ice Mode prone thingy) and a direct feedback power steering.

NextGen 991 GT3 , more like a 991 Carrera S with a body kit. Unproven PDK transmission in racing conditions, unproven 9A1 engine (wet-sump) on racing conditions, the gizmo electro-steering that has the world media complaining, Brakes pre-load, all the gizmo PTV, Active swya bars, PASM Sport, low lock Limited Slip. It seems VW wants to build their own Nissan GTR, a real Playstation car, fast with zero feedback.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

My Playstation Fiat has a real race engine, a 4.3 V8 dry-sump (same engine raced in F430 Challenge, FIA-GT3, detuned for FIA GT2, plus many European series), a race transmission (truly tested in racing conditions), fully defeatable electronic assistance (except the ABS and the diff), a racing ABS (not the VW Aero Beetles Ice Mode prone thingy) and a direct feedback power steering.

NextGen 991 GT3 , more like a 991 Carrera S with a body kit. Unproven PDK transmission in racing conditions, unproven 9A1 engine (wet-sump) on racing conditions, the gizmo electro-steering that has the world media complaining, Brakes pre-load, all the gizmo PTV, Active swya bars, PASM Sport, low lock Limited Slip. It seems VW wants to build their own Nissan GTR, a real Playstation car, fast with zero feedback.
I would love to see your fiat with 6-7k track miles.....3/4 of them Sebring

I do agree with you these Beetles have a lot of stuf fthat breaks on them....mine is broke again.

Maybe I should goto Fiat now that you have teh brakes figured out
Old 05-01-2012, 06:36 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Why all the bitching about the new features? I don't see any RS owners permanently disabling PSM or DEM's. Its an evolution of the product. The RS engine/drivetrain is proven and still has issues. I'm sure whatever Porsche comes up with for the next GT3 will be nothing short of amazing. You can't sell cars by just changing the bodywork and adding a bigger wing.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:54 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
You can't sell cars by just changing the bodywork and adding a bigger wing.
Porsche did, the 997.1 GT3 and GT3 RS are a good example. Wider Hips and a bigger wing
Old 05-01-2012, 06:54 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
I would love to see your fiat with 6-7k track miles.....3/4 of them Sebring

I do agree with you these Beetles have a lot of stuf fthat breaks on them....mine is broke again.

Maybe I should goto Fiat now that you have teh brakes figured out
It actually has 25 track days, 8 days at Sebring, and near 3,000 track miles. It has over 200 autoX laps since April 2009, and more than 80 drag race starts with most of them on track prepped sticky drag ways (Aero Beetles break axles on these conditions. Current mileage, close to 13,000 miles. All the parts are the same as it came from the showroom, except:

My car has been running on very sticky tires (A6 and slicks), so it puts more wear on parts than a car running street tires or RA1. My springs have always been on the 4-digits for rates (1100#-1800#), and stiff cars break more often than soft cars.

The only downside, the crappy CCB brakes and expensive pads, but that's history, now I'm on a bolt-on affordable kit that uses Brembo Motorsports rotors that are cheap, and a new shape of front pads with more availability for brands and compounds, while reusing my stock Brembo calipers.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:58 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Why all the bitching about the new features? I don't see any RS owners permanently disabling PSM or DEM's. Its an evolution of the product. The RS engine/drivetrain is proven and still has issues. I'm sure whatever Porsche comes up with for the next GT3 will be nothing short of amazing. You can't sell cars by just changing the bodywork and adding a bigger wing.

Dude, the GT3 is getting a Porsche Boxster/Cayman engine, not a race unit, it is getting a street transmission, not a race unit. It is not an evolution, the evolution was everything done from 1999-2011 with the GT3, that was the evolution. The evolution is what Fiat did from 1999-2009 with the 360/F430.

991 is a new template with Zero track experience.

DeputyDog, you don't belong to a 997.1 GT3, you belong to a Cayman.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:11 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthVan
Porsche did, the 997.1 GT3 and GT3 RS are a good example. Wider Hips and a bigger wing
True, but that only goes so far. They need to bring more to the table. Especially if you want to persuade all the "I'm keeping my GT3 for life" guys. If I had a nickel for everyone that said that and sold their car 3 years later

Dude, the GT3 is getting a Porsche Boxster/Cayman engine, not a race unit, it is getting a street transmission, not a race unit. It is not an evolution, the evolution was everything done from 1999-2011 with the GT3, that was the evolution. The evolution is what Fiat did from 1999-2009 with the 360/F430.

Then how do you explain RS' engine and trannies breaking? Let alone coolant lines that are still an issue over the course of a 10 year production run. That platform has plenty of "history". Porsche is building on its experience as a whole with the new model. Out with the old, in with the new. I don't care if it hasn't been raced. As long as it doesn't break, I'm cool They know who their customers are and I'm certain they will get it right. I wish the internet forums were more prolific back when then 996 came out. The internet **** talk about water cooled cars in the 993 forums would have made for a great read these days
Old 05-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

If they race the 991, which I imagine they will, the GT3 crowd has nothing to worry about. It should be a faster platform: lighter, longer wheelbase, more front track, etc. The fact that the 991 S is so much faster 'round the ring than the 997 S is a big deal. Now if this translates into that much faster a GT3 and more of an edge in racing, that would be great.

I'm also not happy about the electric steering though. Steering feel was always a high point in a 911. Mine doesn't have power at all, let alone electric.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NorthVan
True, but that only goes so far. They need to bring more to the table. Especially if you want to persuade all the "I'm keeping my GT3 for life" guys. If I had a nickel for everyone that said that and sold their car 3 years later

Then how do you explain RS' engine and trannies breaking? Let alone coolant lines that are still an issue over the course of a 10 year production run. That platform has plenty of "history". Porsche is building on its experience as a whole with the new model. Out with the old, in with the new. I don't care if it hasn't been raced. As long as it doesn't break, I'm cool They know who their customers are and I'm certain they will get it right. I wish the internet forums were more prolific back when then 996 came out. The internet **** talk about water cooled cars in the 993 forums would have made for a great read these days
Reter and I are crash test dummies

If it breaks we break it

Not sure I can keep beating on a street car that breaks stupid parts, guess its part of the hobby
Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

+1, we can only hope that we are wrong, and Porsche will surprise us all ... I think a lot depends upon how PAG view the GT3 brand in the 991 future... I think its a safe bet to assume that it will have the PDK/7sp manual ... the big question surrounds the 9A1 based powerplant ...

Quick Reply: 3.8 RS used prices moving up?