Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New rumours about the 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Heard this from a pretty reliable source, but it's a rumour so take it for what it's worth. According to him, the new 991 GT3 will be a 3.8L and available ONLY with PDK, however the future RS will be available with PDK or the manual (no indication if it will be the 7-sp or not).
Did your rumour source have anything to say about when or output from the 3.8?
Old 04-27-2012, 06:14 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the 991 comes out with PDK only, the 3.8 and 4.0 GT3's and RS's will have some good strong value for a while.

I'm sorry but a car with PASM, PSM,PTV, PDCC and PDK is NOT a GT3 to me. Especially with a motor that's pretty much a slightly upgraded version of the regular Carrera.

They should call it a Carrera plus or something.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by wanna911
If the 991 comes out with PDK only, the 3.8 and 4.0 GT3's and RS's will have some good strong value for a while.

I'm sorry but a car with PASM, PSM,PTV, PDCC and PDK is NOT a GT3 to me. Especially with a motor that's pretty much a slightly upgraded version of the regular Carrera.

They should call it a Carrera plus or something.
All Porsches have PSM and per the ordering guide, PASM was already standard on both the 2010-11 GT3 and RS so I guess you'll have to rule those out; the other new stuff will presumably be optional on the 991 GT's . We'll have to wait and see about PDK. Do you have a link to the stats on the "slightly upgraded version" of the motor? There's been a lot of speculation about it and I'd be very interested to get some concrete info.....
Old 04-27-2012, 07:25 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so looks like the days of race engines and trans in GT3's are over.

Your 991+ GT3 will have the same motor and trans as a carrera (997.2 turbo already ditched the GT1 engine for a DFI).. well hopefully the replacement parts will be cheaper ?

I see 997 GT3 values rising!
Old 04-27-2012, 07:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Yup.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:49 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
so looks like the days of race engines and trans in GT3's are over. Your 991+ GT3 will have the same motor and trans as a carrera (997.2 turbo already ditched the GT1 engine for a DFI).. well hopefully the replacement parts will be cheaper ?

Indeed. If we've seen the last of the true dry sump, 8500 RPM engines, it will be our loss (and Porsche's).
Old 04-27-2012, 07:49 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The pdk and manual 7 spd are essentially the same.. I see no reason why they won't offer both.
Agreed. And this is not necessarily a bad thing. The current 7-speed might be "not compatible with racing" (polite) but, if they decide to race the PDK, there is hope that some decent parts from the racing version, will be interchangeable with the PDK/manual hybrid.
Big assumption but I am trying to stay optimistic..

Now about the motor, at this point, I don't care where it's based on. The important thing is to have a racing motor as a basis for the street GT3 one. Anything else and we can start mourning and paying condolences.

PS. It's Pavlovian, I know, but I can't help it..I have to post this in every 991 GT3 thread. The playstation steering has to go.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Your 991+ GT3 will have the same motor and trans as a carrera (997.2 turbo already ditched the GT1 engine for a DFI).. well hopefully the replacement parts will be cheaper ?

Maybe so, although I sure wish I was plugged into your info source on what the new engine will be like. Since Porsche must homologate what they plan to race, and since the days of building "race engines" for their GT3 series street cars are over, when do you think they will be abandoning GT class in ALMS and elsewhere?
Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Did your rumour source have anything to say about when or output from the 3.8?
Hi Mike, no additional information was provided except that he was surprised it wasn't going to be a 4.0. Not sure why he was surprised as we all know Porsche does small evolutionary changes each year.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Hi Mike, no additional information was provided except that he was surprised it wasn't going to be a 4.0. Not sure why he was surprised as we all know Porsche does small evolutionary changes each year.
Thanks, fc-racer.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:55 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
Indeed. If we've seen the last of the true dry sump, 8500 RPM engines, it will be our loss (and Porsche's).
cup cars aren't going anywhere.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:14 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep, it would seem that street legal 'race cars' will be a thing of the past but sadly, I'd say apart from those well informed on this forum who visit a track, most won't even notice... I think a huge number of GT cars end up in the hands of ignorant people who don't appreciate what they've paid for under the rear decklid but rather want to be seen in something loud and 'different'... These people would outnumber the core GT fan base here who appreciate the true pedigree of the cars we drive and they'd outnumber us by a mile. Frankly if you put a boxster engine in a GT body they'd probably pay top dollar for that too.. The bean counters know this!

This ignorance of what we're truely losing will ensure that the 997 will depreciate as all other before it IMHO....

I have no issue with change as long as Porsche follow the same philosophy as in the past. I would again happily part with my hard earned when they've earned my trust by campaigning a new breed of engine/trans on the track, succeeded and put it into a GT car I can buy.... To me a GT car is just that, a street legal, race car....

Last edited by 911rox; 04-28-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:06 AM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Yep, it would seem that street legal 'race cars' will be a thing of the past but sadly, I'd say apart from those well informed on this forum who visit a track, most won't even notice... I think a huge number of GT cars end up in the hands of ignorant people who don't appreciate what they've paid for under the rear decklid but rather want to be seen in something loud and 'different'... These people would outnumber the core GT fan base here who appreciate the true pedigree of the cars we drive and they'd outnumber us by a mile. Frankly if you put a boxster engine in a GT body they'd probably pay top dollar for that too.. The bean counters know this!

This ignorance of what we're truely losing will ensure that the 997 will depreciate as all other before it IMHO....

I have no issue with change as long as Porsche follow the same philosophy as in the past. I would again happily part with my hard earned when they've earned my trust by campaigning a new breed of engine/trans on the track, succeeding and put it into a GT car I can buy.... To me a GT car is just that, a street legal, race car....
+1, probably as close to a race car that can be driven on the streets... so good !
Old 04-28-2012, 02:00 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AGO
+1, probably as close to a race car that can be driven on the streets... so good !
+2 great post.

Enthusiasts far outnumbered by people who just have the means to buy and think it goes good with their occupation/perception.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:45 AM
GuyR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaiservon
The wife's '06 BMW 330i sedan is a manual. Everyone who gets in it is shocked to find a bmw sedan with one.
That's much more a USA market feature though. In Europe many sedans are ordered with manual gearboxes. Just checking on Autotrader UK and 1/2 of all 3 series are manuals up to 1 year-old and 1/4 of all 5-series are manuals.

The converse argument is made by Ferrari who offered the California with a manual gearbox as well as PDK. They have only ever sold 2 cars with manual gearboxes globally!

I think the GT3 will be offered with both gearboxes since they are the same size. The purists will decry the PDK option, but it will be faster on track and post better 'ring times (for PR) and lots of people will buy them.

Quick Reply: New rumours about the 991 GT3