Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New rumours about the 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 03:02 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New rumours about the 991 GT3

Heard this from a pretty reliable source, but it's a rumour so take it for what it's worth. According to him, the new 991 GT3 will be a 3.8L and available ONLY with PDK, however the future RS will be available with PDK or the manual (no indication if it will be the 7-sp or not).
Old 04-27-2012, 03:06 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

That's kind of similar to what I heard. Car will be launched with PDK, while manual will follow after. I think manual will be offered in both cars
Old 04-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,855 Likes on 961 Posts

BMW tried SMG-only for the M5. It didn't last...
Old 04-27-2012, 03:27 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

with track use in mind what is the logic to have a transmission that is not repairable, not servicable and with only way to deal with it to be shipping it back to Germany and getting a brand new one instead?
despite of anything that was told about PDK i do not beleive into immortal transmissions. such thing does not exist. as soon as anybody will be racing this tranny and abusing it - it will die. and what next?
Old 04-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
US was complaining while all the guys in Germany were scratching their heads, "Really, you want a manual??" Too bad the 6-spd M5/M6 sucks.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:47 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
with track use in mind what is the logic to have a transmission that is not repairable, not servicable and with only way to deal with it to be shipping it back to Germany and getting a brand new one instead?
despite of anything that was told about PDK i do not beleive into immortal transmissions. such thing does not exist. as soon as anybody will be racing this tranny and abusing it - it will die. and what next?
agreed, that is why I moved into the 997.1 GT3, it will be my toy for a long time.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:11 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it will be funny when during the transition from some manual trans to no manual trans, the pdk will be named the standard and in usual porsche fashion (pay more for less) the manual trans will be the pricey option...

it will likely be a significant upcharge and no dealer (since it is rare they know what to spec anyway) will stock a manual trans car... then at some dealer meeting when asked if they should continue to offer the manual trans the dealers will say "we dont stock them, one in 50 orders them, service dept loves the PDK, just do away with it" and slowly the manual dissappears into oblivion and the luddites (myself included) will have to decide if new porsches are acceptable...

MTI modded for track use zo6 with manual trans (as showcased in the abarth covered GRM this month) is looking pretty sweet...

Imagine getting the call from your dealer in less than 10 years, "you have to come down and see this car, it is the last manual transmission Porsche that we will ever receive"

Its all about $
Beancounters will kill the manual trans at Porsche eventually.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:31 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

I am more concern with the electronic steering than PDK. Me keeping my 3.8 RS for long, long time.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:41 PM
jenk12m
Banned

I agree with PJ, in due time it will be extremely hard to find a car with a manual transmission
Old 04-27-2012, 04:46 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NorthVan
agreed, that is why I moved into the 997.1 GT3, it will be my toy for a long time.
i was paying a bit of attention to PDK related posts here - and there were quite some, all with same thing - car says 'tranny switched into emergency mode' and does not shift anymore, stuck in one gear and then on all those claims a result was - dealer have ordered new tranny and sent old back to factory.

all fine for street cars on warranty, i guess, only downside is to wait 2-3 weeks for turnout. now, what that means for a track car and deny of warranty claim?
i just hate to deal with anything that cannot be repaired. as of GT3 or not GT3 - that does not bother me anymore, all cars are same in the end and all cars do brake. i just do not want to deal with anything that resembles GT-R like support issues where nothing is repairable and everything costs ridicolous amount of money as it all binded to factory service only.

as of gt3 - for me now it is cheaper to keep current car, i finally built it up to my taste as street/track compromise car and when time comes i will put new engine instead current one, if by then it will be possible to get DFI instead of M96 - it`s only a plus, if not - will put 3.8L one. honestly i do not care anymore, car is freaking fast and outruns gt3 stock cars in corners, it`s more than enough fun for me. modded GT-Rs and R8 cars will still beat any p-car ona straight, so, who cares.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nizer
True in North America...but manual was not offered in Rest of World
Old 04-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The pdk and manual 7 spd are essentially the same, the manual version lacks the dual clutches and brain of the PDK. I see no reason why they won't offer both.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:08 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The pdk and manual 7 spd are essentially the same, the manual version lacks the dual clutches and brain of the PDK. I see no reason why they won't offer both.
i wonder - is 7 speed also 'glued' or whatever it is they did to it so no one can get it opened?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Carrara
Instructor

Awhile ago Porsche stated that it will always offer manual transmissions as long as there is a demand. There is a VERY STRONG demand for manual on the GT3, and most sources indicate it will have a manual. So I'm sticking with that.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Kaiservon
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The wife's '06 BMW 330i sedan is a manual. Everyone who gets in it is shocked to find a bmw sedan with one.

Quick Reply: New rumours about the 991 GT3