Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 Occasional Driver ?

Old 04-15-2012, 05:46 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ethel19
Totally agree! Right on Steve!!
Timing! If your post had been there when i started typing, I'd only have been left with, "+1".
Old 04-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

My buddy likes it.!
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2012, 07:03 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohead
My buddy likes it.!
Smart kid... there's hope for the future.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 AM
Kaiservon
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm up in Blairsville, GA where we have some of the best mountain roads and no traffic. Perfect for daily driving a GT3?

Any many thanks on the compliments. The white interior accents with red stitching is sweet combo that fits the sports car look.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:40 AM
GolfTango3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive mine whenever I can. Reasonable cargo space, works for the occasional trip to Sam's.

Only concern I have is speed bumps and sharply sloped roads. Car bottoms out pretty easily so you have to plan your route accordingly.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:02 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

"Car bottoms out pretty easily so you have to plan your route accordingly."

+1 Not too many problems with speed bumps. Slowing down a lot is half the battle.

The car is very "road" friendly, and still seems like the perfect solution to so many over-damped / undersprung Porsches of my past. Hankooks may be the ideal quiet/soft road option, but they aren't aggressive. I do find I use the PASM button more than I thought I would. Your routes and clearance issues will say a lot. Stop and go stinks.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:52 AM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
I dailly drive mine, and absolutely love it. Have yet to find a more fun car, anywhere near this price range.
+1 !!!!!!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 01:08 PM
jacksojf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for the street.

You'll just have to learn which type of driveway/parking lot entrances & exits will scrape the front spoiler and adapt the best angle to minimize that.

Of course, the spoiler should be considered a wear item that will have to be replaced at some point no matter what. I have a new one in the box waiting for track days; when the old one dies, the newer one goes on for the street and I order a new one as a spare. With care you can probably get by for a year or two with the original; YMMV.

Jeff
Old 04-17-2012, 01:15 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

best porsche street car right now is a silver GTS. stealth and comfortable.
gt3 and RS are unusable where i live and drive, even my stock C2 bumper is all scraped deep.
also, it hurts less to get dings on a cheaper car than on new $130K one, if i would have more expensive vehicle i would think twice about using it - this one i simply drive every day where i want, then swap wheels and get it on a track.
test drive gt3 and a gts first, one after another. you may be surprised to find that gts feels like it has a stronger engine on a street. gt3 blooms after 6k rpm - you will rarely do it during street driving, it is a track engine and put street hours on that motor is just a waste of a resource.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:15 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

I have 21K miles on my daily driver, and still on the original front lip with only a few scratches on bottom (it's quite flat here in south FL).

The GT3 is just so visceral and alive at any speed/RPM that I've never second-guessed the decision to use it as my daily driver. It's no "waste" for me...to each his own.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:54 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
test drive gt3 and a gts first, one after another. you may be surprised to find that gts feels like it has a stronger engine on a street. gt3 blooms after 6k rpm - you will rarely do it during street driving, it is a track engine and put street hours on that motor is just a waste of a resource.
The GTS is indeed a quick car. Horsepower is only very slightly down from a 997.1 GT3 and torque is higher. I've seen a GTS walk away from me (in my GT3) on a track straightaway. It's only in the upper reaches of its power band that the GT3 recovers the ground lost to a GTS.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:02 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get one. the only real inconvenience is the splitter. You will have to pay attention to transitions and curbs. Other than that nothing.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:01 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
The GTS is indeed a quick car. Horsepower is only very slightly down from a 997.1 GT3 and torque is higher. I've seen a GTS walk away from me (in my GT3) on a track straightaway. It's only in the upper reaches of its power band that the GT3 recovers the ground lost to a GTS.
yep. i had an urge during winter to replace current car and i tried to hunt down a gts with SPASM and 5 lug wheels, took a while with 0 results but now wife decided we need to get a new house as she wants to settle in newton, so, i guess my car exploration fun will cease for a while... not a big deal, i can always get to it later as well. bgb was writing those engines can be tuned into 450 horses, stock gts is at 405 that is also not bad. but most importantly in the street usable rpm band it has way more torque and it feels well. i drove it at IRA and liked it pretty much, with gt3 sway bars and LCAs this car should be able run very nicely indeed. plus 9a1 motor seems to be way better that m97 and even may be metzger, who knows.

will you attend 25th at NHMS?
Old 04-18-2012, 03:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,583 Likes on 732 Posts

18K miles, daily driver. Love it.
I just bought my first splitter, but it broke at the track after mowing the lawn T12 Road ATL..
Old 04-18-2012, 03:12 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got tired of let the car seat in the garage. Wife told me, drive that thing or sell it! I was like, ohhhh, OK!

Drive it everyday dude...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 Occasional Driver ?