991 GT3 Renderings

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:23 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Ah yes the Plastic Fantastic!

Should we start a Corvette forum here for you Peter?
I looked at this idea at winter - you pretty much need a Z06 '09 donor car to begin with and on top of it from $45k to $60k work/parts to get it to cup car level. It is cheaper to buy 996 cup than to build racing Z06.
Cup car motor rebuild costs a lot but it lasts longer than vettes. So, go figure. Imho it all costs almost the same when you start building top level cars.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:11 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

^ i just did the above analysis over last three month. you are wrong. that said, i am not sure i am ready to save money with corvette and eat up cup cars.

and i was looking at brand new Z06 as donors.
cup car sales price has nothing to do with a cup car that's "really" ready to race. FAR from it. VERY VERY FAR from it.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:45 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

I find this thread really amusing with the Z06 & Vette chat. I admit I didn't pay much attention to American cars until I started to get breezed by Z06 / Grand Sports. It was a wake up call and I had new found respect.

My wife even caught me looking at this on ebay after the track day:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...t_45425wt_1217
Old 04-13-2012, 02:58 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
^ i just did the above analysis over last three month. you are wrong. that said, i am not sure i am ready to save money with corvette and eat up cup cars.

and i was looking at brand new Z06 as donors.
cup car sales price has nothing to do with a cup car that's "really" ready to race. FAR from it. VERY VERY FAR from it.
a proper rebuld of Z06 will leave not very much behind. you strip it, weld in cage, replace doors, roof, hood, brakes, seats and entire suspension, pretty much.
996 cup car with fresh motor and tranny costs somewhat close to $80k in average. everybody who owns and races track prepped z06 told me it is a $100k project to get it properly built from a ground 0. only attractive part about it is that you can do it in steps and delay whole process over several seasons after you attend all initial drivetrain issues - for oil coolers, etc, which may be problematic to do DIY, you may need help.

and what do you mean by 'ready to race'? it is one story to prepare a cup car for DE, time attack or club racing events and totally different story to run it in the official series under official regulations. also, if you think vette block will survive longer under racing conditions than a cup car block - you are mistaken.
so it is true that we can tell roughly 1 cup car motor costs same as 2 or 2.5 vette motors but you will use both LS7 engines for same number of hours one cup engine lasts.
if you have different perception on those matters - please say so. but that is how i see those things for now. complete cup car motor rebuild is somewhat in $50k area, complete ls7 rebuild/replacement is close to $20k somewhat, total. do it twice and you are equal. and a lot of people do it more often than twice.

again, it all depends of how badly you will trash either car. if you do not run in series and do not have to run engine at redline for hours - means for DEs use only - it may be that Z06 will indeed prove itself very long lasting and reliable. who knows.

VERY VERY FAR from it.
well, i know people who own 996 cups and run them at DE and club racing, it is not nearly true. plus eventually any track ***** gt3 costs same or close money as a cup car does anyway as it gets all cup parts istalled.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:11 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by utkinpol
a proper rebuld of Z06 will leave not very much behind. you strip it, weld in cage, replace doors, roof, hood, brakes, seats and entire suspension, pretty much.
996 cup car with fresh motor and tranny costs somewhat close to $80k in average. everybody who owns and races track prepped z06 told me it is a $100k project to get it properly built from a ground 0. only attractive part about it is that you can do it in steps and delay whole process over several seasons after you attend all initial drivetrain issues - for oil coolers, etc, which may be problematic to do DIY, you may need help.

and what do you mean by 'ready to race'? it is one story to prepare a cup car for DE, time attack or club racing events and totally different story to run it in the official series under official regulations. also, if you think vette block will survive longer under racing conditions than a cup car block - you are mistaken.
so it is true that we can tell roughly 1 cup car motor costs same as 2 or 2.5 vette motors but you will use both LS7 engines for same number of hours one cup engine lasts.
if you have different perception on those matters - please say so. but that is how i see those things for now. complete cup car motor rebuild is somewhat in $50k area, complete ls7 rebuild/replacement is close to $20k somewhat, total. do it twice and you are equal. and a lot of people do it more often than twice.

again, it all depends of how badly you will trash either car. if you do not run in series and do not have to run engine at redline for hours - means for DEs use only - it may be that Z06 will indeed prove itself very long lasting and reliable. who knows.

well, i know people who own 996 cups and run them at DE and club racing, it is not nearly true. plus eventually any track ***** gt3 costs same or close money as a cup car does anyway as it gets all cup parts istalled.
a full tilt caged, lightened, cooled, dry sumped Z06 is about 120k done right.
a 6 cup ready to win pirelli cup is about 100k. not only fresh motor/tranny, you need all timed out parts replaced, not when they are broken. if i were to get a cup, ALL control arm, toe links, tie rods, shocks, springs. wheel bearings would be replacled. all wheels zygloed and replaced if needed. most cup seats are outdated so new seats needed. a hans pro xl seat is $2000. and those BBS wheels are hell $$$

it's $$$ to run either car. you are right on that. what i disagree with is many ppl (not necessarily you) feel that a cup is $50k, it's not. a $50k cup is NOT ready to run. and by "run" i mean it shouldn't break down due to poor prep, borken parts etc etc. those things absolute drives me mad. my cars (short of my own accidents) broke 2x over 10 years. they are usually prep'd well and lives at the shop until i need them. those two times it broke, i had a serious talk with the shop. they covered 80% of all cost involved. a cup car will need a lot of expertise and caring to really get it to perform like a cup car. if one wants to drive it 50% yes, it would be pretty inexpensive to run. but if you really want to drive it. $$$ goes up quickly. i sure wish they were cheaper to run.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:14 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

some ppl put cup parts on GT3 ******. some put better parts than cup part on GT3 ******. and if done correctly some GT3 and even 996c2 ****** are faster than cups. JRG is one of those ***** out C2's and you be amazed on how fast that POS is.....

i dont "technically" own a cup nor do i own any porsches. i just pay for them. and the cup i thrash around cost a lot more than my ******.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:44 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

I partially agree but of suspension- you do not replace all arms. You invest once into ERP and then only replace rod ends with monoballs. You do replace wheel bearings, axels, and as I just yesterday looked at racing parts catalog prices for vettes do differ a lot, but, again, my biggest concern is longivity. I saw plenty of times how vettes had to go into pits with mechanicals, not so often with cups. Go figure.
I do not have ambitions to run in any series, all I want is a dedicated DE track car which is fun enouth to drive. Imho 996 cup has more fun factor than Z06... Not sure. Technically I can do either way as of right now but cannot decide. Try it out, it may be a fun project to write about.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

All this Zo6 talk is giving me flashbacks from my early days of working with Vasek as a high school student in Manhattan beach I used to walk past Vaseks shop everyday on my to and from school, at that time he was still at his original location on Longfellow. It was a small location on Sepulvada and Longfellow, he stored all his race cars behind a chain linked fence behind the building. I would stop every day and stare at the cars through the fence at them. One day Vasek came out and asked me why I stopped every day. I told him my step father had a Porsche and that some day very soon it would be mine. I had already started making payments to him as I was nearly 15 years old and I was to take full ownership when I turned 15 1/2. It was a 1956, red cab, 1600 normal. Not the best car car, as it had a tree fall on it and had had been repaired by a local body shop with lots of bondo! The convertible top didn't fit properly and when it rained water came pouring in but it was cheap, didn't have many miles and it was soon to be mine! I loved Porsches, when other kids my age were buying 45 RPM records of Elvis I bought a 45 recording of and RSK driving around Sebring and sat in my room at night listing to it and reading everything I could find about Porsches, F1 and any thing closely related to Porsche. The next day, on my way home from school I was looking through the fence and noticed that there was a 550 Spyder that had not been there the day before. It was recently wrecked, there was still blood on the door and drivers seat. It had Mexican license plates and it was just destroyed! Vasek came out and to my surprise he invited in for a tour of the shop. 15 mins later he asked me if I wanted to work for him, I asked him, doing what? He replied what Ever I need you to do. I didn't hesitate, he told me to stop after school tomorrow and we would get started. That's the short version of how I started my love affair with these cars.
It wasn't long after that that Vasek started taking me racing on the weekends, Riverside, willow springs, Santa Barbara and many races at Dodger Stadium, I was always amazed at how much damage hay bails could inflict on these cars! My job was simple, just like he said, I did what ever he wanted! Mostly it consisted of cleaning the cars, bringing him, the driver, Jay Hill at that time and the other member of out pit crew, Hans, whatever they needed, usually water and a sandwich. at the time the only car we raced was a hand-me-down factory RS60 and a couple customer cars, mostly pushrod 1600 super speedsters I think at the time they ran in C class. All our cars were fast, but never had the straight line speed of the Corvetts. On the short tracks we would out finesse them but when we got to tracks like like Riverside they would just eat us up on the long straights. It didn't take long for me to grow a huge resentment towards Corvetts which is still harbor today. But a strange thing happened, Vasek managed to acquire a very quick 4-cam Carrara-2 for one of our customers. It was a new game after after that. so the bottom line is this, they could be giving away ZO6's and you would never see one in my garage! There's much more to the story but I won't bore you with it at this time, other than to tell you it gave me much joy watching the Carrara-2 passing the Corvette going through turn 9 at Riverside after the long straight!
Old 04-14-2012, 01:59 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful drawings. Particularly the rear view
Old 04-14-2012, 02:58 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice story, ralph!
Old 04-14-2012, 04:23 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

I partially agree but of suspension- you do not replace all arms. You invest once into ERP and then only replace rod ends with monoballs. You do replace wheel bearings, axels, and as I just yesterday looked at racing parts catalog prices for vettes do differ a lot, but, again, my biggest concern is longivity. I saw plenty of times how vettes had to go into pits with mechanicals, not so often with cups. Go figure.
I do not have ambitions to run in any series, all I want is a dedicated DE track car which is fun enouth to drive. Imho 996 cup has more fun factor than Z06... Not sure. Technically I can do either way as of right now but cannot decide. Try it out, it may be a fun project to write about.
lol, we r saying the samething really.
6cup more fun. yes, i believe so. you dont see my with a corvette YET! and how many 6 have i had?

stock z06 will not be as reliable as cup. one is a street car. it needs prep.

control arm. yes you replace it once then do rod end from the on. i was talking about the FIRST time it's replaced. a lot of cup, even those that only seen DE times. if you zyglo them, i see many with hairline cracks. it may be ok for a long time. but you want to replace those arms for a few thousands instead of having them give out when you are in a 130mph turn.... they dont really last that long. my stripper, which is at cup car wt and if i put in cup gearing, it wont be slower than cup (it's not cheaper than cup either), was only raced 1 yr. one of the control arms is showing cracks, very small, bearing see it when zyglo'd.

it's all fun to discuss it, i think. but hey, either way, we are dumping money out the door. some of us just dont want to admit it. i know i dont LOL.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:10 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

OT:

it is no secret that a 2001-2004 Corvette Z06 can be had for very little money and be prepped with a few parts from L.G Motorsports, roll bar and seats to provide a very good track car as fast if not faster than a GT3 Porsche.

Hell, a 2006 Corvette Z06 can also be had for less money than a 2004-2005 996 GT3 and with some track prep can outrun 997.2 GT3s.....

Great value and performance.

BUT, you also get an annoyingly long nose, rattly doors, plastic interior and a weak resale.
Hell, i rather do a Viper.

I rather spend the extra $$ and have a prepped Porsche however..... it is the be all end all for me.

Track Prepped Vettes are disposables.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

I just followed a bunch of Corvettes and Vipers around Road Atlanta.
Full aero strippers with Motornms and Hoosiers. All terrible slow through ALL corners.
The past me on the straight end held me up every corner. No thanks, I take it all back. Tubberware garbage trucks.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:25 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
All this Zo6 talk is giving me flashbacks from my early days of working with Vasek as a high school student in Manhattan beach I used to walk past Vaseks shop everyday on my to and from school, at that time he was still at his original location on Longfellow. It was a small location on Sepulvada and Longfellow, he stored all his race cars behind a chain linked fence behind the building. I would stop every day and stare at the cars through the fence at them. One day Vasek came out and asked me why I stopped every day. I told him my step father had a Porsche and that some day very soon it would be mine. I had already started making payments to him as I was nearly 15 years old and I was to take full ownership when I turned 15 1/2. It was a 1956, red cab, 1600 normal. Not the best car car, as it had a tree fall on it and had had been repaired by a local body shop with lots of bondo! The convertible top didn't fit properly and when it rained water came pouring in but it was cheap, didn't have many miles and it was soon to be mine! I loved Porsches, when other kids my age were buying 45 RPM records of Elvis I bought a 45 recording of and RSK driving around Sebring and sat in my room at night listing to it and reading everything I could find about Porsches, F1 and any thing closely related to Porsche. The next day, on my way home from school I was looking through the fence and noticed that there was a 550 Spyder that had not been there the day before. It was recently wrecked, there was still blood on the door and drivers seat. It had Mexican license plates and it was just destroyed! Vasek came out and to my surprise he invited in for a tour of the shop. 15 mins later he asked me if I wanted to work for him, I asked him, doing what? He replied what Ever I need you to do. I didn't hesitate, he told me to stop after school tomorrow and we would get started. That's the short version of how I started my love affair with these cars.
It wasn't long after that that Vasek started taking me racing on the weekends, Riverside, willow springs, Santa Barbara and many races at Dodger Stadium, I was always amazed at how much damage hay bails could inflict on these cars! My job was simple, just like he said, I did what ever he wanted! Mostly it consisted of cleaning the cars, bringing him, the driver, Jay Hill at that time and the other member of out pit crew, Hans, whatever they needed, usually water and a sandwich. at the time the only car we raced was a hand-me-down factory RS60 and a couple customer cars, mostly pushrod 1600 super speedsters I think at the time they ran in C class. All our cars were fast, but never had the straight line speed of the Corvetts. On the short tracks we would out finesse them but when we got to tracks like like Riverside they would just eat us up on the long straights. It didn't take long for me to grow a huge resentment towards Corvetts which is still harbor today. But a strange thing happened, Vasek managed to acquire a very quick 4-cam Carrara-2 for one of our customers. It was a new game after after that. so the bottom line is this, they could be giving away ZO6's and you would never see one in my garage! There's much more to the story but I won't bore you with it at this time, other than to tell you it gave me much joy watching the Carrara-2 passing the Corvette going through turn 9 at Riverside after the long straight!
Great story. 550's, RS60's, 4-cam Carreras racing in their prime? I'm very jealous!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:21 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
Awesome! Thanks for posting. More please.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Renderings