Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Racing Slicks in DE Cup...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:40 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
15 years ago HK'ers weren't even using R compounds except for me and a couple of others. 10 years ago they had barely heard of Hoosier R compounds. Now they're using slicks like they drink VSOP. Crazy.
Spot on. Granted some of the guys are doing really fast times within 6-7 seconds of FIA GT3 cars in their street rides on R-comps, the majority of drivers aren't there yet. Some of these slicks are going into the hands of beginners with less than 5 hours of prior track time. In 600bhp cars. Explains why there're always supercars coming back on a tow truck after these events...

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I just ran the DH compound last weekend, still need to analyze data. They are supposed to be good for 12 HC, I only get 8HC out of A6 which is what I run for fast lap times.

If you want fast lap times, run the Pirelli DSS slick, but they are good for 2 fast HC 2 slow HC, and cannot be run in hot conditions (90 degrees + track temperatures). For warm tracks and fast laps, run the DS (4HC as well). For longevity and fast laps, run the DM compound, you can get 8HC out of them. For maximum longevity run the DH, you can get 12 HC out of them.

The DSS and DS compound fade on grip if you're running long sessions (25 minutes or longer). DM and DH are stable.

The DH here is U.S. is cheaper than the MPSC for my car, as I'm forced to run 19" wheels. The A6 is cheaper than the DH, but given longevity (still to be proven) the DH is still cheaper, plus the A6 fades on grip after 2 laps in cold weather, and not even a lap on warm weather.

DH don't seem to have the grip of A6, but I will confirm once I can compare data.

For DE, it is silly to run slicks, DOT-R like A6/R6/R1/V710, street compatible DOT-R like the R888, RA1, A048. DE ain't racing, so any car equipped with a tire faster than a full street long lasting tire is just wasting $$$.

Now, if you're racing (club racing, autoX, time trials), run what your class allows you to run, and sandbagging only works is your competition is weak.
Thanks--great post as always!! Great data and reference points. A6's barely last 4 HCs in the temperatures here before they cord. So I'll probably take a 40-50% haircut to your numbers.

Tire prices are real wacky here in HKG. A set of Trofeos cost US$3k, MPSCs $2k, MPSSs $1.9k, R6's & R888s around $1.4k. The P-Zero Yellows are cheaper than Trofeos believe or not, which is why the incentives are skewed...

The time trials here are still largely "race what you bring". I guess I'll just petition to have the trials late in the day when the competition's DM compounds have worn off a bit
Old 04-06-2012, 08:58 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

You can try old trick with R6 in rear and A6 in front. Still, if you can afford and want to run on slicks - I would go to any decent shop that services cup cars and rebuilt/adjusted suspension to cup car specs, rolled front fenders, got 10"/12" rims and run on wide slicks.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:07 PM
On Pole
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get my used slicks for $90 each from John Berget Racing Tires.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:59 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Exactly. Which is why I wonder if there's real laptime savings. If anything, the suspension mispairing probably creates more of a safety issue in my mind--my question in the first place...
I know I should just keep my mouth shut but BS! There absoultely no reason not to run slicks with the stock RS shocks and springs. The whole conceptual idea that you need stiff springs is predicated older suspension packages. These cars are great on slicks....

Quick Reply: Racing Slicks in DE Cup...