- hydraulic assisted power steering
- race ABS
- ability to shut off all the nannies
- lightweight flywheel
- 8,500 rpm redline
- titanium springs
- sequential transmission with a single clutch, not the heavy PDK
- 4.3L
- and a V8, I just described a 430 Scuderia...
Old 04-03-2012, 07:31 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

haha, if it gets a V8 then I'm not even going to look for a pristine 4.0. I'll just keep the 3.8 and one of the new ones (4.3L). only if it happens.

I actually vote for the centerlocks. I would hate to throw away my ridiculously expensive centerlock tool.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:31 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

how come the 4.0 hasn't trickled down into the cup car yet?
Old 04-03-2012, 07:47 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 9972RS
It has, it is in the RSR

http://dedeporsche.wordpress.com/201...ets-an-update/
Old 04-03-2012, 08:23 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
I suspect your "queens" number is a little high but even if we assume it's correct, nothing we're asking for would negatively impact sales; quite the opposite. "Queens" assess prestige via chatter on forums and magazine reviews. Rest assured the requests voiced here - lighter weight, reliable systems, ability to switch off nannies, durable (not more aggressive) LSDs, track-friendly ABS, true Clubsport option, better front-end grip from wider wheels/tires - would draw raves on both fronts.

If your assumption were correct the percentage of RS's sold over standard
GT3's would've declined with each successive generation. In reality just the opposite has occurred.
I can tell you from discussions with PCNA in person, they flat out told me they keep the car a little softer for the exact reasons I quoted, as there is plenty of aftermarket to support the needs of our crowd. They do not want to deal with people bitching about their cars. Go over to 6speed and see how many people post complaining about their brakes squealing

I also happen to have Suncoast Porsche in my backyard. I'd say they are a fairly healthy dealer with regards to Porsche sales. I can't tell you how many cars I've seen run through their with a turbo or GT badge that will prob never see rain, let alone track time

All the stuff we want (me included) will result in the car being harsher, noisier, and less street friendly and possibly dangerous in the hands of a novice. Could you imagine if they gave the option to switch off ABS? We'd probably see 10 rear end collisions a week.

Personally I'd love to see a cup car chassis, brakes, suspension with a regular GT3 engine and tranny. To me that would be the ultimate "semi affordable" DE mobile.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:23 PM
jlasuncion
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just sounds like a 996 gt3 with 4L and up engine...of course, without the looks of the 991 and longer wheelbase.

I really hope porsche upgrades the 991 gt3 to a light weight v8 dry sump engine, that will level up the playing field
Old 04-03-2012, 08:45 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

I would welcome a v8 or flat 8 in the 911. They made the 991 a better balanced chassis just need a Trq happy lump in the rear. Mike
Old 04-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
All the stuff we want (me included) will result in the car being harsher, noisier, and less street friendly and possibly dangerous in the hands of a novice. Could you imagine if they gave the option to switch off ABS? We'd probably see 10 rear end collisions a week.
Dog: I see the point you're trying to make but your logic is flawed. Review my must-have list again.

The majority already existed in the 997.2 RS or earlier 911s:

Must haves:
100-150lb weight reduction over 991 Carrera S - Check. 997.2 Carrera Coupe spec: 3208lb; 997.2 RS: 3020lb = -188lb
480-500hp - Check: RS 4.0
Brake calipers that facilitate quick, easy pad changes - Check: see pre-997 calipers
Dynamic engine mounts separated from Sport Chrono option - Check - see current RS
Factory installed rollbar mounting plates - Check - see 997.1 GT3
Hydraulic steering (or worst case Cup car electric steering system) - Check - refer to pre 991 series street and race cars.
True dry sump system - Check - see current RS
Motorsport ABS - Motorsport ABS doesn't cause rear end collisions; red mist and cell phones do.
5-lug wheels - Check - see pre 997.2 GT3s
Manual transmission that allows selection of any gear anytime - Check - see pre-991 manuals
Lightweight single-mass flywheel - Check - see current RS
10" wide front wheels with 265 section tires - 1" wider than current RS - you got me.
12" rear wheels with 325 section tires - Check - see current RS
Clubsport seat option (not all Americans are fat) - Check - see ROW GT3s
Normal handbrake - Check - see any pre-991 911
Monoball suspension - Check - see RS 4.0 and GT2 RS
Integrated aero - Got me again. But wouldn't the lack of ricer wing attract more queens???

LSD wasn't on my list because all I want is for the existing unit (that queens and non-queens bought the heck out of) to last more than a few track days.

Last edited by Nizer; 04-04-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:52 AM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Must haves:
100-150lb weight reduction over 991 Carrera S - Check. 997.2 Carrera Coupe spec: 3208lb; 997.2 RS: 3020lb = -188lb
Brake calipers that facilitate quick, easy pad changes - Check: see pre-997 calipers
Dynamic engine mounts separated from Sport Chrono option - Check - see current RS
Hydraulic steering (or worst case Cup car electric steering system) - Check - refer to pre 991 series street and race cars.
Motorsport ABS - Motorsport ABS doesn't cause rear end collisions; red mist and cell phones do.
Manual transmission that allows selection of any gear anytime - Check - see pre-991 manuals
10" wide front wheels with 265 section tires - 1" wider than current RS - you got me.
Normal handbrake - Check - see any pre-991 991
Integrated aero - Got me again. But wouldn't the lack of ricer wing attract more queens???

LSD wasn't on my list because all I want is for the existing unit (that queens and non-queens bought the heck out of) to last more than a few track days.
I don't get as much track time as I'd like (actually very little), however I'm all for Nizer's list and a few other additions. I want to have the car ready to go to the track whenever I find some time to do it, not necesarily a DE event but could be 1 1/2 hs enjoying the car and build up speed gradually. Get some coaching and drive the car back home in one piece. And drive it whenever I feel like driving it anytime despite having it so much below its performance envelope. Does it make it a garage queen, I'd say not really as I drive it quite often (9 k miles in a year)

As time and priorities change, I look forward to more track time...hope it happens...
Old 04-04-2012, 01:17 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 9972RS
Rules. Barber was the first time Grand Am allowed the 4.0 engine for the first time, but with a weight penalty. That was 3 days ago. If I am not mistaken, WC has allowed it for a year. It's really IMSA GTC where the number of guys running cars wouldn't make a 4.0 cost effective where it still isn't allowed. Give it a year and that song will change. I predict platinum will be 4.0 and gold 3.8's.

I have been told the same thing Deputy Dog is being told. I've spoken to a regional warranty rep for PCNA who was at a PCA meeting I spoke at regarding gearboxes. He said they don't get warranty claims on the LSD from guys who don't track the car. For the guys who do, there is my product. They are comfortable with that. To be clear the guys who do have a problem with me and my products are PMNA. Different operation. The motorsports division doesn't want to compete with me. The street car division couldn't care less.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I have been told the same thing Deputy Dog is being told. I've spoken to a regional warranty rep for PCNA who was at a PCA meeting I spoke at regarding gearboxes. He said they don't get warranty claims on the LSD from guys who don't track the car. For the guys who do, there is my product. They are comfortable with that. To be clear the guys who do have a problem with me and my products are PMNA. Different operation. The motorsports division doesn't want to compete with me. The street car division couldn't care less.
We call this job security.

I'm curious, what do European owners do when their Porsche diff craps the bed?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:38 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

We call this job security.

I'm curious, what do European owners do when their Porsche diff craps the bed?

They're not necessarily broken. It's just a really mild diff. As I referenced before, PCNA doesn't want to deal with the guy who says he can't turn his car around properly when leaving cars and coffee due to the diff locking

I thought my diff was smoked. I had massive tire spin and horrible wagging under braking. As it turned out, the diff was fine and the parts were in very good condition. Just way too mild for a track environment. Sometimes I think Porsche like to list parts on their spec sheet for the purpose of sales, without them actually offering any real benefit on the track (ie pasm, DEM, etc).

With that being said, I went with Matt at GT and had the diff redone. I'm very pleased. There's always aftermarket to fix the things that Porsche can't or won't do.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:42 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Dog: I see the point you're trying to make but your logic is flawed. Review my must-have list again.

The majority already existed in the 997.2 RS or earlier 911s:

Must haves:
Normal handbrake - Check - see any pre-991 911

I wasn't necessarily referring to your list in particular, but you are dreaming on a few points

And yes, they would be doing everyone a huge favor if they got rid of those stupid center locks.

They will dummy these cars down to what the avg street driver expects out of a GT3, and throw in just enough cool stuff for bench racing at the local cars and cafe meet.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:33 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Including the stuff from the original post. I'd like the next GT3 to have:
coolant fittings that don't pop out.
7 gear PDK
Center Console from 991
Panoramic Roof
AWD
22" wheels option for spinners

Old 04-04-2012, 01:17 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
They're not necessarily broken. It's just a really mild diff. As I referenced before, PCNA doesn't want to deal with the guy who says he can't turn his car around properly when leaving cars and coffee due to the diff locking
Ultimately it goes a bit further than that simplification of things. Let us remember that the 996 GT3 variants got a 40/65 LSD from the factory. They reduced the lock up on the 997 GT3 on purpose because of the addition of PSM. They've been moving towards electronic fixes to things for some time now, with the latest progression being this whole ABD concept where they openly integrate braking into the function of the differential. The cars are systematically having the edge taken off of them.

And that's exactly why there will be a PDK version GT3 with paddleshifters in the future. To the unincorporated, a PDK with paddleshifters is like driving a formula 1 car; it is racerish to the general public. Many of us may not agree with that line of thinking, but it's a line of thinking that will sell the most cars. They'll keep the sequential dog box in the Cup Cars and the street car will get a PDK to mimic the driving "feel" of the race car.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Spec - Porsche Please Read