Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 GT3 Spec - Porsche Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 01:28 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The initial spring rate is said to be only 90lbs. Juan is taking his springs off, it takes to long to set the car, or it sets in 2 steps. he has complained about that since he received the car.

If you look at the mk1, the rear spring has a built in progressive section that is coil bound. Given the weight of the 4.0, there is no way a 90 rate spring is almost ever active. It is there, almost certainly, to keep the main spring seated - for example on a lift. I will bet that if he removes it, the main spring (which has to be close to 700#s) will unseat when changing a tire - no big issue. He could replace them with very low rate helpers 5-10#s. My guess is that he won't feel the difference.

If I had to guess what he is feeling is the fact that the spring rates are not 1000#s - especially when you are running slicks.

What he should try is leaving the helpers and replacing the mains with 750 / 800 mains in the rear.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:38 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What's all the crying about? Porsche already builds the car y'all what. It's called the GT3 Cup! Stop being cheap and go buy one.

GT3 RS is, above all else, a street car. The car (cup car) you're asking for would be a terrible street car. Get your priorities straight. Buy the cup. What's the problem with that? You say you can't drive it to the track? Tough beans, get a trailer. If you want a perfect car for the track, by a race car. Not that hard to figure out.

BTW, Grant has it right. Cup car electric driven, hydraulic steering is the way to go.

Buy the cup. Stop the whining.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
What's all the crying about? Porsche already builds the car y'all what. It's called the GT3 Cup! Stop being cheap and go buy one.

GT3 RS is, above all else, a street car. The car (cup car) you're asking for would be a terrible street car. Get your priorities straight. Buy the cup. What's the problem with that? You say you can't drive it to the track? Tough beans, get a trailer. If you want a perfect car for the track, by a race car. Not that hard to figure out.

BTW, Grant has it right. Cup car electric driven, hydraulic steering is the way to go.

+1.... I want a dual purpose fun sporty street car I can drive to the track and have some fun with.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,896 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt

Bought a Cup. Love it. Still want a properly spec'd street-legal GT3. Go figure...
Old 04-03-2012, 02:04 PM
woshimihei
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
can you imagine the n-ring lap time
- 2900# car
- race ABS
- 'better lsd'
- 265/325 with better aero
- 550hp 4.2 liter
- 7 speed paddle with race gearing

my guess is sub 7:15
From a firm's point of view, the marginal incentives of increasing its cost to build such a "cup level" road legal gt3 is uncertain. The marginal weight reduction cost is not worth for Porsche as a firm to build for road legal race car which people would do trackdays and drive on the road. Of course, Porsche is willing to earn those esay money for few pieces of CF parts. However, not all people who buy a gt3 will put them on the track. If most of people want a gt3 without AC, Audio, and so on. Porsche will not consider them in the beginning when they build the road going GT series. For those who want a real race car from Porsche. Posche makes them the GT3 cup. We are lucky that Porche share us such a great piece of machine we can afford and much more enjoyable and durable than its competitors. Everyone will happy to see a better next gen gt3. Hope Porsche will make its unique customer happy again.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

great spec's, but I doubt you will ever get race/defeatable ABS on a street car ... lawyers would not allow it ...

+1 for no PTCC/PTV+, better LSD etc ... dont need/want 7sp tranny, manual 6 is fine ...
Old 04-03-2012, 03:42 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Just keep it reliable Porsche. Also go race the 9A1 engine so people can see that it is a great hassle free motor. Beef up the LSD, allow buyers to be able to delete things like sunroof, a/c, stereo and everything will be fine.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:00 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I think what most of you are missing that is we, although it doesn't seem so on here, are in the minority with the way most GT3's end up getting used. I would guess 90% are cars and coffee garage queens, bought for prestige vs track prowess.

Having aggressive LSD's and other track orientated features would do nothing but blow up their complaint line because the car is too noisy, feels funny, or the brakes squeak.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,896 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I think what most of you are missing that is we, although it doesn't seem so on here, are in the minority with the way most GT3's end up getting used. I would guess 90% are cars and coffee garage queens, bought for prestige vs track prowess.

Having aggressive LSD's and other track orientated features would do nothing but blow up their complaint line because the car is too noisy, feels funny, or the brakes squeak.
I suspect your "queens" number is a little high but even if we assume it's correct, nothing we're asking for would negatively impact sales; quite the opposite. "Queens" assess prestige via chatter on forums and magazine reviews. Rest assured the requests voiced here - lighter weight, reliable systems, ability to switch off nannies, durable (not more aggressive) LSDs, track-friendly ABS, true Clubsport option, better front-end grip from wider wheels/tires - would draw raves on both fronts.

If your assumption were correct the percentage of RS's sold over standard
GT3's would've declined with each successive generation. In reality just the opposite has occurred.

Last edited by Nizer; 04-03-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:33 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Nizer, the 991 GT3 will already have better front grip because the 991 platform front track is much wider. However I agree some meaty front tires would be great too.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:31 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

I never thought any pcar is a garage queen- just run them to the ground- way more rewarding. Maybe the 4.0 but even that couldn't keep it in garage for too long. Mike
Old 04-03-2012, 06:51 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Damn Matt- screw their attitude and their pos Lsd's!! I wouldn't deal with them either. Mike
The fact of the matter is that even if I didn't have a target on my back, and they hadn't forgotten that GT gears took them to three consecutive 24 Hours of Daytona victories in 2001,2002, and an outright win in 2003, we'd never be able to strike a deal because I would never be the low bidder. The accountants are at the helm these days and cost control and profit margins rule the day.

The guy who will be providing the paddle shifter kit for our soon to be released proprietary sequential gearbox was one of the bidders for the shift kit that's used in the RSR cars this year. He lost the contract because of price. The cars are running with a shift kit that is not the best one that money can buy because the pencil pushers picked the 2nd best kit that cost less.

And that's exactly why you guys won't get a bunch of the things on your wish list. Porsche now plays to the lowest common denominator. As of Dec 2010 there were roughly 2500 997 GT3s of all variants on the road plus around another 1000 996 GT3s. I have no idea how many they sold in 2011. And there's another 500 or so GT2s as well? Let's just say 4500 cars in North America

In the last two years I've rebuilt around 500 LSDs. Some of those were also GT3 Cups and 993 LSDs. So let's say that maybe I've "fixed" 10% of the production. The real point there is that 90% of the production doesn't care or doesn't know any better. Those of us who hang out here on RL are the outliers, not the mainstream Porsche customer under today's model.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:00 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
The fact of the matter is that even if I didn't have a target on my back, and they hadn't forgotten that GT gears took them to three consecutive 24 Hours of Daytona victories in 2001,2002, and an outright win in 2003, we'd never be able to strike a deal because I would never be the low bidder. The accountants are at the helm these days and cost control and profit margins rule the day.

The guy who will be providing the paddle shifter kit for our soon to be released proprietary sequential gearbox was one of the bidders for the shift kit that's used in the RSR cars this year. He lost the contract because of price. The cars are running with a shift kit that is not the best one that money can buy because the pencil pushers picked the 2nd best kit that cost less.

And that's exactly why you guys won't get a bunch of the things on your wish list. Porsche now plays to the lowest common denominator. As of Dec 2010 there were roughly 2500 997 GT3s of all variants on the road plus around another 1000 996 GT3s. I have no idea how many they sold in 2011. And there's another 500 or so GT2s as well? Let's just say 4500 cars in North America

In the last two years I've rebuilt around 500 LSDs. Some of those were also GT3 Cups and 993 LSDs. So let's say that maybe I've "fixed" 10% of the production. The real point there is that 90% of the production doesn't care or doesn't know any better. [B]Those of us who hang out here on RL are the outliers, not the [/B]mainstream Porsche customer under today's model.

Fixed it for u
Old 04-03-2012, 07:01 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears

In the last two years I've rebuilt around 500 LSDs. Some of those were also GT3 Cups and 993 LSDs. So let's say that maybe I've "fixed" 10% of the production. The real point there is that 90% of the production doesn't care or doesn't know any better. [B]Those of us who hang out here on RL are the outliers, not the [/B]mainstream Porsche customer under today's model.

Fixed it for u
Old 04-03-2012, 07:16 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt, that is sad that they picked a part based on price for a $500,000 car.

It is true, accountants are running the world right now, I am running into it all the time. Business is so different then it was a few years ago.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Spec - Porsche Please Read