Questions re PCCB

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:20 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Questions re PCCB

Two questions:

1. Those of you who track and street do you change pads/rotors between track and street or is there some combination pad which works for both? I do realize there is a compromise in both directions in doing this.

2. I have PCCB on my car and have searched and read all the forum posts until I am cross eyed and still am not certain of the answer. What is the most cost-effective and simplest way to replace the rotors with steel and still use the PCCB calipers or would it be cheaper in the long run to replace the whole shebang if it significantly lowers the cost of rotors and pads? I do not want to have to grind pads, shim them or anything like that if I do not have to. I am looking for the laziest cheapest way to do this.

I have a 2007 GT3 RS and want to track and street drive it.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. OE pads. We tried Endless ME20 pads this weekend at Sebring and got fade 5 laps in. Never had that problem with OE. We are also pulling 6th gear there with almost 800whp on our MAFless 112 octane conservative tune and a solid 3000rpm powerband so take that into consideration.

2. Brembo makes a steel rotor/ aluminum hat/pad set that is direct replacement.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:05 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Nick is 100% correct. I have PCCBs, and I run stock pads. Why don't you keep running on PCCBs until they wear out, and then switch to steel rotors?
Old 04-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Nick is 100% correct. I have PCCBs, and I run stock pads. Why don't you keep running on PCCBs until they wear out, and then switch to steel rotors?
Or sell the frisbies for profit and buy steel
Old 04-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Recently, I changed PCCB to steel GiroDisks. I did this at first pad change while rotors are in excellent shape. My main reason is I cannot afford to ever replace the PCCB rotors. I went with GiroDisk. The rotors were a perfect direct fit. Very easy install. Note you do need new pads for the GiroDisks as the hats require a different pad size. However, 600 miles of street driving on the GiroDisks and the left front is warped! No warranty. However manufacture offers to turn them. Due to shipping cross country and interest of time I have them at a local shop to evaluate. Mean time PCCB are back on the car. Will post the full story this week when I hope to have resolution.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:25 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

That doesn't sound good about the Giros. 600 street miles, warped, and no warranty? Hmmm....

I decided to track my PCCBs, see how much life I can get out of them. Then switch to steel. If I planned to sell the car down the road, would have been better to shelf ceramics. I plan to keep the car so I can't see any reason not to use up the ceramics, then switch.

Please let us know what happens with the Giros. I would not be happy with a warped rotor after 600 street miles. Even less happy if no replacement.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:53 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the direct replacement brembo type III and the kit ships with correct size street pads but I think you can specify a pad if you wanted something else than street

My pccbs were taken off the same week I got the car
Old 04-02-2012, 01:43 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I just started tracking my car & am sticking with the stock ceramics; I'm going to use them until they're warn out. I have OEM pads & have heard that you should replace them @ 50% since they wear down quickly at that point & can score the rotors.

While I'm a novice @ the track, overall I'm very impressed with their stopping power & resistance to fade; use the PCCB's, you've already paid for them.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:38 AM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Nan P
I just started tracking my car & am sticking with the stock ceramics; I'm going to use them until they're warn out. I have OEM pads & have heard that you should replace them @ 50% since they wear down quickly at that point & can score the rotors.

While I'm a novice @ the track, overall I'm very impressed with their stopping power & resistance to fade; use the PCCB's, you've already paid for them.
Fully agreed
Old 04-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree. I'm doing the same. Use the stock PCCBs they work great despite the naysayers. They do lack the initial bite of hot track pads but they work very well. Id say replace the pads with 5mm of friction material left, they get a little spongey and you also don't want to damage the rotors. Mine lasted 7 track days. Flipped them once before the last track day. My rotors look great, maybe a little bluish, unless that's my imagination. I paid for them so I'm gonna use em up.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:41 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Thanks for all of the replies. From what I am gathering I should either just use up my ceramics, sell them, or replace with steels. For those of you using steel rotors do the rotors such as brembo or similar require any alteration of the pads (either stock, pfc, or whatever) to work or can just be used as is. Maybe I am makeing a simple decision hard? Thanks again.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Space Coast GT3
Recently, I changed PCCB to steel GiroDisks. I did this at first pad change while rotors are in excellent shape. My main reason is I cannot afford to ever replace the PCCB rotors. I went with GiroDisk. The rotors were a perfect direct fit. Very easy install. Note you do need new pads for the GiroDisks as the hats require a different pad size. However, 600 miles of street driving on the GiroDisks and the left front is warped! No warranty. However manufacture offers to turn them. Due to shipping cross country and interest of time I have them at a local shop to evaluate. Mean time PCCB are back on the car. Will post the full story this week when I hope to have resolution.
PFC fits with stock pad sizing

no bedding in

I have never warped a rotor
Old 04-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Or sell the frisbies for profit and buy steel

Quick Reply: Questions re PCCB