Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PCCBs making a scraping noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 11:26 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default PCCBs making a scraping noise

I posted this in the 987 forum, but I thought there might be some knowledgeable people here as well:

I took my spyder out today for a quick trip and noticed that the PCCBs are making a scraping sound when I brake. This started after my last track day. I didn't notice the scraping on the way home from the track. The car has been resting in the garage for the past week, and now there's this scraping sound.

The PCCB rotors look ok to me, I don't see any delamination. The rear pads look fine, but the front pads (still a good amount left) look like the front edges are missing small chunks. What should I do?

Old 03-29-2012, 11:52 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
What should I do?
replace pads. sell car. buy real porsche.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:58 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts

Pads chunk all the time. No biggie there. But your scraping may be from a small piece of debris wedged between the pad and rotor so you'd want to do a wheels-off and inspect the pads.

p.s. Boxster Spyder with PCCBs... BALLER!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

If it were me, I would pull the front pads and have a closer look. PCCB rotors are too expensive to guess (I think). Once there out you will know if you can rotate them or replace. I would not want to leave an exposed opening in the leading edge as it could potentially catch a stone or object and trash the rotor.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:42 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GT3DE
replace pads. sell car. buy real porsche.
Ouch. Brutal. Maybe someday.

Originally Posted by CRex
Pads chunk all the time. No biggie there. But your scraping may be from a small piece of debris wedged between the pad and rotor so you'd want to do a wheels-off and inspect the pads.

p.s. Boxster Spyder with PCCBs... BALLER!
Originally Posted by Space Coast GT3
If it were me, I would pull the front pads and have a closer look. PCCB rotors are too expensive to guess (I think). Once there out you will know if you can rotate them or replace. I would not want to leave an exposed opening in the leading edge as it could potentially catch a stone or object and trash the rotor.
Thanks guys, great advice. I'll do that
Old 03-30-2012, 08:52 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

absolutely. replace OEM pads immediately with new OEM pads from Suncoast (best prices I ever found for OEM pads for PCCB). The PCCB are awesome/best brakes ever. Do not let pads get too worn down and replace immediately when ever they chip off like that.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:23 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that hat being worn down by the pad? If so I would get warranty to replace the hats, and find out why the pad is rubbing.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:59 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

The hat is fine. That's just the way it is cut, although I agree it looks weird in the pic.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll take out the pads this weekend and have a look.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:38 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The hat is fine. That's just the way it is cut, although I agree it looks weird in the pic.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll take out the pads this weekend and have a look.
Yes, on the iPhone it looked worse
Old 03-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,341 Posts

+1 new pads are MUCH cheaper than new rotors, I would not drive the car until you resolve this.

check the pads for beveling, it could be that you have uneven wear and you have exposed the studs on the backing plate ... get a new sets of pads asap just in case ...

report back your findings!

good luck
Old 03-30-2012, 01:32 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I would not drive the car until you resolve this.

get a new sets of pads asap just in case ...

report back your findings!
That's the plan. I'll let you guys know. Thank again!
Old 03-30-2012, 01:46 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

FWIW - when you do DE track events, pads will taper. After each day at track, flip/reverse pads. To make it easier, remove the spring (not necessary) and put in toolbox and leave it there. Also, remove sensors, use plastic zip ties to hold them out of the way.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:08 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GT3DE
After each day at track, flip/reverse pads.
by this, you mean move the pads from driver side to passenger side AND switch from outer to inner side?

To make it easier, remove the spring (not necessary) and put in toolbox and leave it there. Also, remove sensors, use plastic zip ties to hold them out of the way.
Thanks for the advice. New pads have been ordered and shipped. FWIW, Isringhausen sells their PCCB pads for even less than Suncoast.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,341 Posts

good to know about pad pricing ...

let us know what you find, good luck!
Old 03-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

I too have PCCBs and my pads lasted 7 track days and I only flipped them once before day 7. They barely beveled. I would not flip them every track day, but just inspect and flip if necessary. Dont worry if you see brass rivets either. The rivets show before the pads are used up. My pads looked good when I took them off except for some 'voids' in the surface. Good luck.

Quick Reply: PCCBs making a scraping noise