Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

go to 991 forum for GT3 video

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
dont forget the center pipe configuration was a feature of the 997 variant engine, the previous 996 variants did not have this, so there is no requirement that the 991 variant should have them, especially since the 991 will not have the same engine variant as the 997...
True. I'd read several articles which indicated Porsche would keep the center pipe layout for the new car, so that's what I was looking for. But as you point out, as with everything else about the car, it's speculative.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:27 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
I bet more than 80% of rennlist GT3 forum members who are serious about buying a 991 GT3 will choose PDK even if it's an option. I'm not a huge fan of "flappy paddle gearboxes", but I'm even less of a fan of having to point by every "flappy paddle gearbox" GT3 on the track... and it would make driving the GT3 on the street 100x better.

doubt it, 50% of the regular 911 orders were manual, likely the gt3 will be more manual biased.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by wanna911
doubt it, 50% of the regular 911 orders were manual, likely the gt3 will be more manual biased.
Currently, only 30% of 911 sales are MT according to August Achleitner, the 911 project chief.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:47 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbweaver1
Good catch nigt3, here is the link for the rest of you:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=25434

VW now effectively runs Porsche and the Bean Counters have run VW for a long time now hence their stellar profit figures (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15475338).

I'd be surprised if it is not a high priced option not unlike the Carrera S but with a quicker, lighter version for the GT cars. Porsche has always been about incremental revenue now they will be taking it to the next level via "new" options.

Get ready for a new paradigm from VW, cough, cough.....I mean
Porsche
Memories are short. It was only a few years ago that the VW bean counters were so ineffective that Porsche, the most profitable per unit car company in the world, was almost able to gobble up VW because it's share price was so low. And VW was building Bugatti Veyrons and Lamborghinis while Porsche had turned its focus to trucks. Sometimes it's hard to remember whom to cheer for.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:14 AM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Then you'll have the small percentage that want to drive raw with no nannies or aids and enjoy working on them and doing everything them selves with no assists. I think we still want to drive current cars old school style.
+1
Old 03-30-2012, 01:35 AM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel I am going be shot for this but.....If the next gen GT3RS comes with flappy paddle (I hope and pray it does), i'm gonna get it. (I'm also going to keep my current manual RS).

Why? If Porsche Motorsport put all their efforts into bringing this to the car, then you have to assume it's going to be good. I want to take my car to the track and go round it as fast as I can in a smooth, controlled manner and certainly the paddle will aid this. Have this technology with the fantastic character we all know as RS - then WOW. Why not? Why not be in a car we all love for the right reasons, know it's bullet proof, can keep going and going AND whip the competition? Ferrari, Lambo, GTR have done it.

When I raced my Ducati for a while I had no electronics to assist, and whilst as a purest riding pleasure it was great, I got Pi$$_d off by being undertaken with the geezer with slipper clutch and even more so as he stamped on the gear lever pulling down the straights not using the clutch as he had a quickshifter! I did the same and became more competitive and to be honest enjoyed it even more. What's my point? I updated my fantastic characterful Duke with modern technolgy and did not lose out on any enjoyment and actually increased it!

If Porsche do it right by adding in the box by not taking away the cars character it will be awesome.

Of course I dig the purest manual stuff and respect all those who wish to remain that way but for me it's time to move on just as I did with the Ducati.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:34 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1198r
I feel I am going be shot for this but.....If the next gen GT3RS comes with flappy paddle (I hope and pray it does), i'm gonna get it. (I'm also going to keep my current manual RS).

Why? If Porsche Motorsport put all their efforts into bringing this to the car, then you have to assume it's going to be good. I want to take my car to the track and go round it as fast as I can in a smooth, controlled manner and certainly the paddle will aid this. Have this technology with the fantastic character we all know as RS - then WOW. Why not? Why not be in a car we all love for the right reasons, know it's bullet proof, can keep going and going AND whip the competition? Ferrari, Lambo, GTR have done it.

When I raced my Ducati for a while I had no electronics to assist, and whilst as a purest riding pleasure it was great, I got Pi$$_d off by being undertaken with the geezer with slipper clutch and even more so as he stamped on the gear lever pulling down the straights not using the clutch as he had a quickshifter! I did the same and became more competitive and to be honest enjoyed it even more. What's my point? I updated my fantastic characterful Duke with modern technolgy and did not lose out on any enjoyment and actually increased it!

If Porsche do it right by adding in the box by not taking away the cars character it will be awesome.

Of course I dig the purest manual stuff and respect all those who wish to remain that way but for me it's time to move on just as I did with the Ducati.

Valid points but IMO for us all of us mere mortals here shouldn't it be about getting out there and learning a craft? The craft of driving... Personally, I don't race others and don't care if they are passing me like I'm standing still because there is no prize money to collect... I race the clock as a means of measuring or gauging my improvements in my driving....

For me, regardless of the offering, the most important thing is reliability... The satisfaction comes in being able to enjoy track days month after month without spending squillions of dollars on repairs. These cars aren't cheap to run and the current set up is "generally" reliable for the beating it takes thanks to its racing pedigree... If the 9A1 and PDK prove to be as reliable or more so than current, then I'll happily embrace the technology. Certainly not against advances or change.

What is sad about the world today is that once upon a time, companies focused on building things to last forever! The Mezger is from that era... Nowadays the goal is to give things a rather short service life and make them replacable... Not fussed when I'm buying a $30k car but when I've just shelled out $300k, not good enough!
Old 03-30-2012, 04:47 AM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

911 Rox - for sure its all about driving ability and not racing the others - track days are about safe fun not racing.

Reliability ABSOLUTELY.

Guess for me I am just wanting Porsche to progress with technology (as the others have) to help me go faster and still enjoy the RS experience. I will never stop learning to become faster/smoother - just gonna be doing it with flappy pedals
Old 03-30-2012, 05:01 AM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Terry L,

No point in debating memories, here are the facts. I've put into English for you so there is no mistaking the truth....

Schulden selten endet gut für den Schuldner

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...637760,00.html
Old 03-30-2012, 05:23 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Currently, only 30% of 911 sales are MT according to August Achleitner, the 911 project chief.

US sales were 50/50 and that is Porsche's largest market. Not to mention Rennlist is mostly US. Also not to mention with the delay in the manual release some people just can't wait so that would affect the sales as well.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:08 AM
ethel19
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbweaver1
Terry L,

No point in debating memories, here are the facts. I've put into English for you so there is no mistaking the truth....

Schulden selten endet gut für den Schuldner

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...637760,00.html
Thanks Cbweaver for the article!
Old 03-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by wanna911
US sales were 50/50 and that is Porsche's largest market. Not to mention Rennlist is mostly US. Also not to mention with the delay in the manual release some people just can't wait so that would affect the sales as well.
I think the 30% number is based on recent historical 911 sales, not just the newly released 991. Whether we like it or not, the trend is moving away from MT because there is (by the numbers, at least) a better performing alternative. I hope Porsche offers both transmissions on the 991 GT3, although it will make my choice more difficult. If I had to bet money, though, I'd bet there will be one transmission and it will be PDK.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

I think the 30% number is based on recent historical 911 sales, not just the newly released 991. Whether we like it or not, the trend is moving away from MT because there is (by the numbers, at least) a better performing alternative. I hope Porsche offers both transmissions on the 991 GT3, although it will make my choice more difficult. If I had to bet money, though, I'd bet there will be one transmission and it will be PDK.
I'll take that bet, go back and look at AP's comments regarding MT on the GT cars... and I dont see them offering MT on the Carerra's and not on the GT3 ... unless it has automatic sliding minivan doors as well...
Old 03-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'll take that bet, go back and look at AP's comments regarding MT on the GT cars... and I dont see them offering MT on the Carerra's and not on the GT3 ... unless it has automatic sliding minivan doors as well...
They did it with the TT, (different owner base admittedly) and they have been offering only one transmission choice in the GT cars up to now. You've got Achleitner being quoted as saying there will be only one transmission choice on the new GT3 as well and that PDK is the favorite so far and I'm just sayin. I'd be happy to be wrong and lose the bet......
Old 03-30-2012, 06:14 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

They did it with the TT, (different owner base admittedly) and they have been offering only one transmission choice in the GT cars up to now. You've got Achleitner being quoted as saying there will be only one transmission choice on the new GT3 as well and that PDK is the favorite so far and I'm just sayin. I'd be happy to be wrong and lose the bet......
The 991 manual and PDK share the same 7 speed transmission. I can't see them only offering PDK. It would lose any true old school Porsche sports car enthusiast sale or used car sale. The GT3 was built for the part time track guy and not the the guy that came out of his tiptronic Mercedes.

Quick Reply: go to 991 forum for GT3 video