Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone here using smart phone lap timers? If so what Ap??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 02:45 AM
TNetworks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Signal booster is on the list for sure....thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 03:05 AM
lopro
Banned

I was reading about the Race keeper as an Iphone app in the last issue of total 911. Not too sure how it works I have a HTC phone but im getting kinda old school in my injured days.

I dont find I use my cell at all anymore..saves lots of coin for car stuff like data aqusition setups
Old 03-23-2012, 07:23 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

HLT with Tom-Tom cradle for me. Shouldn't need a signal booster on the iPhone as the cradle utilizes gps signal, I think ...
Old 03-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
HLT - so I am faster.
Plus One!
Old 03-25-2012, 11:31 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 174 Posts

Funny you should mention it. Harry's is awesome for what it is. Here's the latest from my track day at PIR today. It records every other lap, so you sometimes you miss your best lap, like today. I use the Tom Tom mount and an I Phone 4S. I think you need at least an I phone 4 if you want to use it without an extra GPS signal like you have with the Tom Tom mount.

This is my second best lap- my first track day with the GT3 so I'm still probing the limits!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:00 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

^ Does HLT give you the video as output with speed, track map and time like you have shown above? Which version would you recommend for this?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:08 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Yes HLT gives you this data for every lap. You can even download it and overlay onto seperate video, but that's getting a little much for an I phone app.

Just get the latest version of HLT for all these features. Video is an extra charge I believe. All in I don't think it's more than $40. Remember though that the app only records every other lap!
Old 03-26-2012, 01:17 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every other lap? What kind of crap is that?

I have trackmaster for android, but have only used it in my neighborhood. Worked pretty darn good too. Have real data for the actual track though. Trackmaster does not have video overlay as far as I know. Wouldn't mind using it for my students though.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:36 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Every other lap? What kind of crap is that?
That is in reference to video only. It will time every lap.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:00 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Correct- it times every lap with GPS data and acceleration. This can be downloaded for overlaying on video if you want. But at that point I say buy something more sophisticated.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Fubawu
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I used HLT yesterday, I found it worked great. Some of the time intervals where off but the over I was impressed. Can anyone tell me if this uses data or how it works? If it is using GPS would it not eat up data??
Old 03-27-2012, 03:36 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fubawu
I used HLT yesterday, I found it worked great. Some of the time intervals where off but the over I was impressed. Can anyone tell me if this uses data or how it works? If it is using GPS would it not eat up data??
Not sure what you are asking? It uses the GPS in the phone or boosted with approved car mounts like Tom Tom. The data collected includes accelerometer sensors in the I Phone plus the GPS data stream. The track maps are pre loaded with GPS data. It is a lot of number crunching for your little I Phone so make sure for a full track day you recharge between sessions. Of course because all this data is being computed, it makes recording and storing video difficult, thus the reason it is not done every lap.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Fubawu
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the info, as I was using it I was wondering if this was using data from my data plan.
Cheers
John
Old 03-28-2012, 12:21 AM
bensf
Racer

I used to use HLT but switched to TrackAddict HD mainly because my best laps would be the ones that HLT would miss as it records video every other lap. TrackAddict HD video records every lap.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:23 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

I've been using HLT for nearly 3 years now. This is the best $10 I've spent on iTunes, bar none. Combine that with a TomTom cradle, your accuracy is consistently within 0.10 sec of the times I get on dedicated, pro-oriented timers.

I think Harry started this development with a feature-rich timer in mind and he's succeeded in doing so. Video is just an add-on over time, and while that's a cool thing to have, HLT isn't meant to be a replacement for the likes of a RaceKeeper, Traqmate or AIM. Judging it on the merits of its trigger-based, track-sensitive timer, post-lap analysis tools (the lap-over-lap comparison on the trainer is an invaluable learning tool!!) and years of continuous improvement, I think HLT's leagues above anything else on offer for the iOS/Droid platforms.

Edit: apparently there's a new version coming out that will address some of the video recording issues raised above. http://gps-laptimer.de/History.html

Quick Reply: Anyone here using smart phone lap timers? If so what Ap??