Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3RS Dive plane install

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Orbit r
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's possible, as the Carbon pieces that we sell already have provision for that, but not everyone wants to drill their bumpers.
Also if done with the right tape and procedure, there are no problems.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Why not just bolt these on to the bumper instead?
leaves nasty holes in your bumper ... the double sided tape does a very good job keeping them on
Old 03-23-2012, 06:30 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Why not just bolt these on to the bumper instead?
Because the factory ones are pathetically small and a 3M d-tape is sufficient?

Agreed on bigger ones though.

We learned that from the various flying ram air scoops.. Even Porsche stopped selling the 6RS one and went with plastic rivets in the 7GT3 (bolts in the 7 cup one) Force=bolt.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Because the factory ones are pathetically small and a 3M d-tape is sufficient?

Agreed on bigger ones though.

We learned that from the various flying ram air scoops.. Even Porsche stopped selling the 6RS one and went with plastic rivets in the 7GT3 (bolts in the 7 cup one) Force=bolt.
speaking which I note that Manthey has some tasty CF ram air scoops ...
Old 03-23-2012, 07:46 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbit Racing
It's possible, as the Carbon pieces that we sell already have provision for that, but not everyone wants to drill their bumpers.
Also if done with the right tape and procedure, there are no problems.
Originally Posted by Larry Cable
leaves nasty holes in your bumper ... the double sided tape does a very good job keeping them on

Drill baby drill!

I'll take mine with holes please. You'll probably sell them on the car anyway. Tape is great for street posers that never see any real speed. Luckily the person I knew went to reputable shop and they replaced it at no charge. However, at $500 or so, plus paint and install, I wouldn't take the chance at 150-160mph.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:30 AM
mepps
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 drilllllll and leave em on forever
Old 03-24-2012, 10:03 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

What does adding the dive planes do to the aero? Isn't the rear wing larger on the 4.0?
Old 03-24-2012, 11:42 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
What does adding the dive planes do to the aero? Isn't the rear wing larger on the 4.0?
+1. Clearly, they make an impact. The question is - how much of an impact?

I have first-hand seat experience with using the 4 deg & 8 deg shims on my 996.2 GT3s rear wing, and impact of such a small modification is sizeable (especially at 155 mph)...

Thanks,
-B
Old 03-24-2012, 01:43 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
+1. Clearly, they make an impact. The question is - how much of an impact?

I have first-hand seat experience with using the 4 deg & 8 deg shims on my 996.2 GT3s rear wing, and impact of such a small modification is sizeable (especially at 155 mph)...

Thanks,
-B
Changing the AOA in a 50-60" rear wing by 4 or 8 deg. is significant. Especially at higher speeds, as downforce (and drag) increases exponentially with it.
We can feel that and even measure it with lap times, data loggers and G-meters.

Adding a 1-inch wide front dive plane won't / can't have the same effect.

The 4L factory ones are very small. (I am thinking that they were trying to keep the 4L street legal by not extending them outside the bodywork)

Do they "work"? Yes. Will you notice it? I would say no.

Even AP's quoted increase in front downforce percentages, translates to a few kg at most.

On the other hand, perhaps bigger (Cup ones are bigger) or different front aero bits (some "dive planes" are quite large and their angles are not so steep, resembling more of a front wing, producing downforce from clear airflow, than the classic steep smaller dive planes that act as air diverters that simply alter the air flowing from the side of the car and fenderwells), can be noticed.
Not sure about the added drag though.

FWIW rules permitting, most race cars (Porsche cars included) use them.

You can also use them, for example, to compensate for a larger rear wing or to fine tune the aerodynamic balance..

In my case, I am going to install them in an effort to counterbalance the Crawford GA spec rear wing.
A conventional bigger/deeper front lip, would have been a more efficient and proven solution, but unfortunately, my garaze entrance doesn't like it..

MIRA wind tunnel group visit?
Old 03-24-2012, 02:19 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was watching F1 last night and team redbull was putting gurney flaps on (and taking them off) the front of their wing with what looked to be 3m tape (double sided in any case), not sure if its 3m but i'm guessing if the speeds F1 is reaching wont blow the gurney off then were safe with the diveplains taped on - I imagine the larger the dive plain the more air drag (more drag may require them to be riveted or bolted)

also on the 997.1 gt3 there was a little black gurney flap type thing under the wing on the rear decklid, I wonder what that was held on by - does anyone know?

I imagine if porsche mounts the factory 4.0 dive plains on with double sided tape then tape must be good enough? I imagine there are different grades of the stuff - what brand or grade is everyone using?

I'm just curious
Old 03-25-2012, 12:26 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Really?

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3RS Dive plane install