997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Tranny Oil Condition

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012 | 12:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

OK, check when I last change gear oil and let me try it.
Old 03-22-2012 | 01:08 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GTgears
A working LSD, be it one with our clutches in it, or Cup Car clutches, raises the gearbox temps on average 20 degrees.

I recommend never going over 15k mi on the service interval on these gearboxes. Furthermore, I say count every track day as 2500 mi. 6 days on the track and you're due to change the oil.

The other thing that I have seen with the 997 variant GT3 and GT2s is that cars that were tracked with the anemic stock clutch packs in them, they are getting really hot. This is because of the fact that the clutches are not locking and just spinning up against each other. This is a picture of the friction discs out of Mo's GT2 LSD which if memory serves only had 5000mi on it when he sent it to me.
Like many of the 997 variant LSDs that have come through here the outside case of the LSD was actually coked with burnt on oil. That's right. There was oil coked onto the differential housing. These gearboxes are getting smoking hot on track.

Solid advice.

Perhaps, another factor for added stress and more frequent oil changes is a shorter R&P.

BTW 6 Cup cars had a recommended replacement of the (slightly shorter than the RS / 4 one) R&P after 8000klm!

I was doing the oils every 10k and dropped it to 5 now.
Old 03-22-2012 | 05:14 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Add mine to the wont shift especially 3rd to 4th. Happened on my 7th track day. 6th day had absolutely no issues
Old 03-22-2012 | 06:26 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Last year on my last track day of the season, it became difficult to shift from 2nd to 3rd. This was the 8th track day. I will know next weekend at the track and fresh fluids if old fluid was the cause.
Old 03-22-2012 | 07:01 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Add mine to the wont shift especially 3rd to 4th. Happened on my 7th track day. 6th day had absolutely no issues
I'm on transmission 2

Same crap again
Old 03-22-2012 | 07:32 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
I'm on transmission 2

Same crap again
2nd transmission? 3rd clutch? wow!
Old 03-22-2012 | 07:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

2nd clutch and 2nd pp..
Old 03-22-2012 | 08:09 PM
Doublej
Racer

Are some of your shifting problems due to the crappy shifter cables? I have 2-3, 4-3 shift problems all the time (usually only when there are some lateral g's involved); however I'm almost certain it's cable related. I will be installing the motorsport shift cables which should rectify the shift issues hopefully.

Just had my tranny oil changed but didn't ask what it looked like. Even the first track day out this last weekend I still had shifting issues so I really don't think (in my case) it's related to the fluid.

JJ
Old 03-22-2012 | 08:20 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Will the Motorsport cables affect the warranty at all?
Old 03-22-2012 | 09:06 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Depends on dealer relationship I'm sure.
Old 03-22-2012 | 11:30 PM
obsessedone
Racer

I went to Cup Car cables to address difficult shifting from 2nd to 3rd accelerating out of low speed corners. The Cup cables and all metal end fittings definitely help but they bring a lot of noise into the cabin which may bother you if you use on the street. I'm happy with the improvement. I have Guard LSD, change tranny oil every 7-10 track days/once a month in season , the old oil is always black.

Originally Posted by Doublej
Are some of your shifting problems due to the crappy shifter cables? I have 2-3, 4-3 shift problems all the time (usually only when there are some lateral g's involved); however I'm almost certain it's cable related. I will be installing the motorsport shift cables which should rectify the shift issues hopefully.

Just had my tranny oil changed but didn't ask what it looked like. Even the first track day out this last weekend I still had shifting issues so I really don't think (in my case) it's related to the fluid.

JJ
Old 03-23-2012 | 12:59 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by obsessedone
I went to Cup Car cables to address difficult shifting from 2nd to 3rd accelerating out of low speed corners. The Cup cables and all metal end fittings definitely help but they bring a lot of noise into the cabin which may bother you if you use on the street. I'm happy with the improvement. I have Guard LSD, change tranny oil every 7-10 track days/once a month in season , the old oil is always black.

Originally Posted by Doublej

JJ
Cup cables don't help

It is a heat issue in the transmission
Old 03-23-2012 | 09:56 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
More friction = higher temps.
More effective fluid to bring the friction down ?
Free movement is colder, colder = less strees
Colder = more power to the wheels.
BTW I didn't use Delvac on the GTTWICE. Peter (Farmer) gave me a great tip of Synergyn Fluid.
Notchy when cold, but really good when hot.
Syngear II.

Peter
Old 03-23-2012 | 01:16 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

BTW, I know that this is going to be met with some unhappy faces, but one of the realities of how you guys chose to use your cars is accelerated wear and tear. While I would expect a street driven GT3 to go 10 years between gearbox rebuilds, I would only expect yours to go 2-3 years with a bunch of track days on them. Synchros and bearings are not indestructible and while you guys are probably running 8/10ths of what a race car would run, you're also probably stressing it 300% more than a street car would be stressed.

People always balk when I advise them that if they are going to put in one of our super short 3rd gears that they need to time them and be ready to go back in there and replace it in 30 or 40 hours. The response is usually, "But I only DE my car." Doesn't matter. Track time is track time and 5000mi with an average speed of 90mph is 55.5 hours. If it was my personal car, I would be budgetting to go in and refresh the thing every 60 hours at a maximum and more often if you regear it or run a short ratio ring and pinion. Let's not forget that the short ratio ring and pinion makes every single gear spin more rotations per hour of use. It is a wear accelerator on everything and not just a service item all by itself. You do have to pay to play this game of fools...
Old 03-23-2012 | 05:19 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

I agree, DE cars are tracked hard. I am surprised GT3s can take that much and still run during the week days. Now, is it safe to assume base on this that transmissions are the first items to require maintance?

Quick Reply: Tranny Oil Condition