Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sebring Time Trials 03/31 and 04/01 with NASA Florida

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 05:24 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Put a 265/30R19 MPSC on your front wheels, and run the 325/30R19 n-Spec from the GT3 RS 3.8/4.0 and GT2 RS. You need adjustable sway bars to keep the car balanced.

Your alignment is fine, don't change it.

On MPSC, my data showed me laps in the 1:59-2:00 at Daytona, I can live with that. I ran 265x19 and 345x19 both of them race spec MPSC. The 345 is too fat for your Carrera GTS, but the 325 n-spec is fine.
Yeah...I need wider front wheels....I'm just running the OZ HLT Cast which are only 8.5" wide in front.

My goal by this fall DE's is to have a better tire set up like what you mention, adjustable sways and 6 piston GT3 front brakes.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:06 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In 10 sessions on the weekend (5 sessions per day), this is all the traffic I got to see at Sebring with NASA in the Time Trials group, the rest was open track, best Sebring event I have done so far, heat and humidity was killer, but having no traffic was nice.

This is my last session on Saturday after the rain, the previous group (race group) ran on wet conditions, and their lap times were much slower than Sunday. When we got on track, the track was almost dry.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:38 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats up with the editing on the 1st vid, we just want to see 10 consistent laps in a row at 2:17-18
Old 04-09-2012, 11:55 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

+1 please stop hacking into the video's before you trigger epileptic seizures!!
Don't ever do that again, pick 3 laps before the Fiats overheats and post them

Then again these out of corner downshifts would make me lose the will to live, but when on song is does sure sound nice. I could do with a V8 in the back of my aero beetle...

It might be the point and shoot nature of the Fiat but you seem to turn in so much later then me on T10 - T13 and T15. You seemed to clean it up and enter tighter and faster in you fast laps in the second video.
Still 2:17 is impressive for a Fiat not hitting anything and not breaking down, probably as fast as an areo beetle with LSD, exhaust and tires..

To bad it only holds up for a few laps. Is water temp at 221F really OK?
Old 04-09-2012, 12:50 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

+2
no editing please, need to see consistent laps. the flow is very important.
also, generally braking too early perhaps?
Old 04-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
you seem to turn in so much later then me on T10 - T13 and T15. You seemed to clean it up and enter tighter and faster in you fast laps
Agreed. When he was missing the apexes of 10, 13, etc by a mile, he was a lot slower than when he actually got to them. Funny how that works!

221F water temp is no problem
Old 04-09-2012, 01:24 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jenk12m
whats up with the editing on the 1st vid, we just want to see 10 consistent laps in a row at 2:17-18
The 1st video is to show the only traffic found in the entire weekend. The NASA TT sessions are very low to no-traffic, due to the way we stage, cool stuff.

I don't think we can get 10 laps with NASA in TT. The pace car thing at 45mph takes about 6 minutes from the moment we leave the pit lane, we get a Green flag after the pace car lap, and we get a checkered flag before the 20 minutes mark, so we only get 10-12 minutes to run at our pace.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:36 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Rad, does the Fiat down shift on track out even if you have it in manual mode?

My PDK will only downshift on track out if I did not take a particular corner fast enough when I'm in auto mode. If I put PDK into manula mode it will not downshift on it's own.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:21 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

It might be the point and shoot nature of the Fiat but you seem to turn in so much later then me on T10 - T13 and T15. You seemed to clean it up and enter tighter and faster in you fast laps in the second video.
Still 2:17 is impressive for a Fiat not hitting anything and not breaking down, probably as fast as an areo beetle with LSD, exhaust and tires..

To bad it only holds up for a few laps. Is water temp at 221F really OK?
Fiat drives different to any car. If foot is on the brakes, the diff is locked at 100%, so you need to be off the brakes to unlock diff, and get rotation, something that makes the car horrible for autoX. Aero Beetles trail brake easily. The F430 Challenge (factory race car) uses a mechanical LSD rather than the e-diff I have. Fiat has fixed this small problem in the 458 Italia e-diff 3.0 (mine is v2.0), now they use the steering angle value to release the diff lock when on the brakes. I'm currently researching if my E-diff ECU can be reflashed with the 458 Challenge version, it would help for autoX and TT.

Aero Beetles run warmer, my oil temperature is in the 200-215 range, Aero Beetles run in the 210-240 range.

When are the Aero Beetles boys showing up to the NASA Time Trials? or do you guys plan to hide in the SuperSolo Fish Bowl forever?
Old 04-09-2012, 02:32 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Rad, does the Fiat down shift on track out even if you have it in manual mode?

My PDK will only downshift on track out if I did not take a particular corner fast enough when I'm in auto mode. If I put PDK into manula mode it will not downshift on it's own.
No it doesn't. But if you pull a paddle during a bouncing section of a racetrack with a suspension 600% stiffer than a 3.8RS, very likely you'll pull that paddle twice.

It is actually the best sequential transmission I have driven. It allows me to downshift even beyond redline, but instead of overrevs, it slips the clutch and hits the rev limiter, useful for emergency braking, it even lock the rear wheels when it does this.

Still on the original clutch, control arms, flywheel, pressure plate, FMS, RMS, coolant lines, Limited slip differential as delivered from the showroom.

It just got its second set of rotors.

Vastly more reliable than an Aero Beetle, and proven, not heresy talking like the Aero Beetle boys hiding their multitude of repair bills.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Boss mustang must have better aero the fiat....lol

http://www.mrsideways.com/RADf430.JPG
Old 04-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Mrsideways
Intermediate

Randy, watched your video from Winterfest. Your rocking through there at 124mph
Old 04-11-2012, 05:44 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The 1st video is to show the only traffic found in the entire weekend. The NASA TT sessions are very low to no-traffic, due to the way we stage, cool stuff.

I don't think we can get 10 laps with NASA in TT. The pace car thing at 45mph takes about 6 minutes from the moment we leave the pit lane, we get a Green flag after the pace car lap, and we get a checkered flag before the 20 minutes mark, so we only get 10-12 minutes to run at our pace.
Nice vids Rad.

Impossible between lap traffic, slow out laps and limited session time to get 10 clean laps. A DE would be even worse (traffic) You're lucky that track is so long, on shorter ones you won't even get that many clean laps before catching lap traffic. I thought your 3 from the TT weren't too bad though a 2:16 , a close 2:17 and a couple 2:18's with some traffic. Car looks like it's doing fine temps wise. Looks like you might be in the wrong gear in some areas, but I have never driven there so I'm just guessing. Why is everybody trippin'? He looks legit to me.

RS boys sack up and put some real tires on your cars and go beat him. RA1's aren't going to cut it.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Looks like you might be in the wrong gear in some areas,
This is the big thing that I saw as well..
Old 04-11-2012, 06:11 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
Boss mustang must have better aero the fiat....lol

http://www.mrsideways.com/RADf430.JPG

That was after the rain, first time ever on these tires (hard compound slicks). Still the Fiat lapped 13 seconds faster than the Boss with Mr. Sideways at the wheel. I can lap Sebring, run a 1/4 mile from a standing start, have a shot of Absinthe, and still have time left to wait for Mr. Sideways in da Boss.

So, are all the Aero Beetles afraid to run NASA-TT? are you guys going to keep hiding in HPDE, Chin and SuperSolo? It would be so much fun to watch a Boxster giving cans of Whoopass to most Aero Bettles.

Quick Reply: Sebring Time Trials 03/31 and 04/01 with NASA Florida