Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 RS in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012 | 08:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GuyR
Rain is great for understanding the cars handling and it really drops the wear rates on tyres and brakes, just take it easy where there's a wall nearby. In Europe so many trackdays get rain it's perfectly normal. Steady rain is easy, it's when it starts drying it gets harder as the grip becomes very 'patchy'.

I drove the 'ring many times in the wet and once when it was wet and greasy after a VLN race laid loads of rubber the previous day. Car was my old Ruf 996 GT2 with 630hp, on track Corsas, no t/c, or PSM, pretty hairy at some points.

I've been there some days when it's dry and you start the lap dry and encounter rain half-way around, no chance to stop or turn back then

Best fun car in the wet was my M3 CSL, that just loved being held sideways everywhere, I prayed for rain when tracking that......
Me too, the Pucker factor is pretty significant ... my favorite is the river that runs diagonally across the track L-R at the exit of Bergwerk!

A couple of years ago at a PSDS there I watched the same 7.1 GT3 from Norway spin twice on MPSC, 1st on the exit of hocheichen, 2nd at metzgezfeld... both times the guy was lucky not to hit the armco ... after that he was done for the day ... cant blame him there is nothing worse than banging up your baby
Old 03-16-2012 | 01:59 AM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

I just spent a very wet weekend at Eagles Canyon Raceway in my 997.1 RS on MPSC's and while there were some touchy moments with traction I think it was overall a valuable experience learning to control the car at the limits of traction while still at low speed. Comments from others about hydro-planing are correct. I limited my straightaway speed to 75-80mph to keep that to a minimum. The track dried considerably for the last two run sessions on Sunday but there was still standing water that required a higher than normal level of caution. All that being said, it was worth it for me. Plus the money wasn't refundable for my event - might as well learn something.
Old 03-18-2012 | 11:26 AM
Red Bear
Rennlist Member

Running in the rain is fun but you need dedicated sticker rain tires. Not MPSC with several heat cycles. One of my favorites is Hoosier grooved with Pirelli rain pattern! Bob Woodman or any Pro Race Tire company can groove these.
Old 03-18-2012 | 11:58 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NorthVan
Rain is an opportunity to work on your car control. Cups suck in the wet, but aren't that great in the dry either (IMO). You could try other tires to give you a little more grip.
Exactly, if we did not drive in the rain the people in our part of the world would not get much track time in. Rain is not for the testosterone mindset driver. You much slow down, brake earlier and keep the car balanced. The margin for error is reduced exponentially. I enjoy it very much, the as Jackie Stewart said about Monte Carlo.. slower is faster.... getting a quick clean lap in the wet feels great. You also get to drive a new line as the wet line is not the same as the dry.
PS2 was a pretty good tire. Sport cups not so much. Micheline recommend over inflating the tire by 8 pounds for rain. I would do it only if I had one set of tires. I have never had 3 sets so never had rains.
Old 03-18-2012 | 12:07 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Rain rules
Old 03-18-2012 | 11:59 PM
Tom Pritchett
Advanced

Originally Posted by roberga
Exactly, if we did not drive in the rain the people in our part of the world would not get much track time in. Rain is not for the testosterone mindset driver. You much slow down, brake earlier and keep the car balanced. The margin for error is reduced exponentially. I enjoy it very much, the as Jackie Stewart said about Monte Carlo.. slower is faster.... getting a quick clean lap in the wet feels great. You also get to drive a new line as the wet line is not the same as the dry.
PS2 was a pretty good tire. Sport cups not so much. Micheline recommend over inflating the tire by 8 pounds for rain. I would do it only if I had one set of tires. I have never had 3 sets so never had rains.

I can't agree with you more! I hope April 7th is good though for the event at The Ridge.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS in the rain