Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GMG WC-GT Headers - Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:48 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts
Default GMG WC-GT Headers - Impressions

It's been a month since I've had the GMG headers on my '11 GT3RS. Now that the setup's clocked a bunch of street miles and track time, it's time to reflect on my impressions.

First things first: the Order Process. I'm currently located outside the country. Getting GMG to ship internationally hasn't been easy. That, combined with an untimely shortage of cats from HJC in Germany, led to a five-week-delay between order confirmation and the headers shipping out. It was hardly a smooth experience, but to James/Fabryce's credit, they got on the case and righted the situation as soon as I raised the issue with them. I reckon it's GMG's style to be economical with words, but they were professional through and through and true problem-solvers. In the end they delivered, and that's what mattered most

My skepticism proved unfounded when the shipment finally arrived mid-February. The contents were very well-packaged--foam on either ends, bubble wrap all around. They unpacked to reveal a beautifully welded pair of pipes. I have spent much time around exhausts, from "reasonably priced" Millteks, Supersprints and FVDs to the likes of Larinis, Tubis and Akras. GMG's product construction is superb--the consistency of the bends, the evenness of the welds--they're leagues above what I'd expect in this price range.

The Packaging:
Name:  IMG_1231.JPG
Views: 386
Size:  221.3 KB

Closeup of one of the Downpipes+Welds:
Name:  IMG_1232.JPG
Views: 353
Size:  221.4 KB

200-Cell Cats from HJS--Good Stuff!:
Name:  IMG_1233.JPG
Views: 402
Size:  163.1 KB

Installation: the headers snapped-on to the OEM side mufflers without drama. For peace of mind I also installed a new set of header gaskets. Everything else was straightforward--incl. the O2 sensors which connected without any codes. I chose to keep the Sharky center bypass--love the OEM Ti tips and couldn't be motivated to part with Sharky absent a real good reason...

Sound: These things are LOUD. Granted I already have a center bypass, the new "normal" (i.e. non-sport mode) idle is as loud as the old idle in sport mode. At full chat the sound is bat$hit insane. Explosive. Sharp. And did I say LOUD?? In my book this setup is borderline acceptable for street use but definitely not for the faint of heart. At 5k+ rpm the exhaust resembles the report of a minigun. Seriously. I literally went "WHOA" in my first windows-down tunnel run. The chatter's not as "poppy" as a cup car, but it's close... (FWIW there's no droning inside the cabin, unlike a few other setups I've experienced in 3.6 & 3.8 cars)

Performance: after giving time for the ECU to adapt, I thought the car exhibited better high-end pull. No noticeable loss of low-end torque or engine shudder at idle (definitely an issue with the Akra race setup based on first hand experience). I thought all that could be just placebo, so I waited until I had more hard data from my hometrack...

This is the main straight at Zhuhai International Circuit. Recorded last Fall when I still had the OEM headers. Car was running a fresh set of R6s. Traffic was clean (it was a sanctioned time-attack lap). Notice the apex speed of 125km/h coming out of T14 and Vmax of 209kmh on the main straight
Name:  IMG_1338.PNG
Views: 321
Size:  71.1 KB

Fast forward to this month. The same set of R6s (with 18+ heat cycles since the last dataset) that was evidently about to give (over the past 3 DEs I've rotated and then flipped those things on the rims like a professional cheapskate... ). Car had also been laden with heavier iron brakes (vs. PCCBs for 14lbs' difference--unsprung--per corner). The only good thing going for me were the GMG headers.

Not surprisingly, the new data showed lower apex speeds--nearly 10km/h slower, at ~116. And yet I consistently reached VMax's 15km/h higher in the 222-224 range... overall laptimes were right on top of my old ones, albeit with worse handling (cheapskate scrubs+lesser brakes) and less-than-ideal traffic. I'd hazard to guess that I've gained a second on this 1:48-1:52 track...

Name:  IMG_1339.PNG
Views: 344
Size:  54.2 KB

Power delivery: Needless to say I'm happy with the performance gains. However I felt there's this "hole" in the torque curve between 5.5 and 6.5krpms. It's small (lasts for maybe a split of a second at max as I went through the powerband), but definitely noticeable when I focused on how the car's pulling. I've been able to reproduce this "hole" from time to time, around the same spot in the tachometer...

Net net I'm happy with the purchase. GMG has built a great product and I'm happy to recommend it to those looking for quantifiable performance gains (or much louder sounds... )

Last edited by CRex; 03-18-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Red Bear
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Installed mine yesterday on the 2011 GT3RS. Will report back next week after my thoughts from Road Atlanta.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:53 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Might be interesting for you to try them with the OE 3rd exhaust - it you keep the power and bring DB down by 10 it might be a perfect setup
Old 03-18-2012, 10:47 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe need a re-map?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:57 AM
senna
Burning Brakes

CRex, do you happen to know how much those weight compared to stock headers?
Old 03-18-2012, 11:05 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

They're about 3 pounds heavier per side, according to my mechanic. I don't have the numbers to confirm that tho
Old 03-18-2012, 11:12 AM
senna
Burning Brakes

Cool, thanks. You also said you had the Akropovic cup setup before. How do you feel these two compare?
Old 03-18-2012, 11:37 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Akra sounds more "composed" whereas the GMG setup is best described as "butch". The Akra's built to look like artwork--and comes with a price tag reflecting the same. One big downside: the Akra race setup I tested droned real bad. That's a non-starter for me...
Old 03-18-2012, 12:05 PM
lopro
Banned

I really like exhaust posts. Interesting topic, Nice to hear about your experiences. Thanks for posting this...

Do you find the car with AKRO race was much lighter without the side mufflers? Did you notice the difference in weight between the akroRACE/OEM/GMGSETUP while on track ?

dropping pccb to steels and changing exhaust would have been a substantial difference in weight added to the car.

-adding side mufflers(19.8x 2=39.6lbs) + gmg headers (18.1x2=36.2lbs)

TO recap, You are now running OEM side mufflers(39.6lbs) with the 200cell gmg headers (36.2lbs) + sharky center muffler (need weight) + OEM TIPS (3.3lbs)

-Weights-

OEM NUMBERS (total 84.7lbs stock)

headers 5.5kg or 12.1lbs each

side mufflers 9kg or 19.8lbs each

center 8kg or 17.6lbs

tips 1.5kg or 3.3lbs

GMG header oem + 6lbs (as given above) = 18.1lbs each header

AKRO RACE weights? suppose to drop 46lbs off the car 84.7lbs - 46lbs = 38.7lbs ?

Sharkweks site : Real 16 pound weight savings (stock muffler weighs 17.6lbs pounds total) from the rear of the car (6 pounds savings over 2010+ titanium center section) oem 17.6lbs - 6 = 11.6lbs

as per this post ---> https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...r-weights.html

Last edited by lopro; 03-18-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:10 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CRex
Akra sounds more "composed" whereas the GMG setup is best described as "butch". The Akra's built to look like artwork--and comes with a price tag reflecting the same. One big downside: the Akra race setup I tested droned real bad. That's a non-starter for me...
Thanks. We are installing an Akrap. race setup in a few weeks, so just trying to get a baseline.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:33 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't notice any drone whatsoever in Randy's akrapovic cup system with stock headers.
Those gmg headers look great !
Old 03-18-2012, 12:42 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lopro
You are now running OEM side mufflers(using sport flaps) with the 200cell gmg headers + sharky center muffler?
You got it. I know it's not the recommended setup at GMG but it seems to work quite well for me...

Originally Posted by lopro
Do you find the car with AKRO race was much lighter without the side mufflers? Did you notice this weight while on track ?
The akra setup was on a pal's car. Didn't flog it like my own, but sure it was a lovely sound when it wasn't droning Did it feel lighter? Yes. But I reckon any handling benefits were to be found at the limit and I wasn't nearly there on public roads!

I think the weights you posted are in the right zip code... the OEM side mufflers are 20 pounds apiece... For weight savings I'm increasingly tempted to do delete those anvils via elbow pipes like these and restoring the OEM Ti center muffler... but that's uncharted territory with unproven sound/performance characteristics...
Old 03-18-2012, 01:32 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

We did 3 videos yesterday, comparing different exhaust set ups.
I have a new system with side muffler delete. Love it. No Drone, deeper tone than the side mufflers with stock center muffler.
Orbit will post the results probably tomorrow or Tuesday the latest.
I see no downside on the side muffler delete, if you track your car.
If it's your daily and you want the quietest, maybe, the stock is better, or also a different car would be quieter.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:34 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

What set up do you have M3EvoBR?
Old 03-18-2012, 01:49 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Orbit Racing side muffler delete, with their new German center muffler.
They will disclose more information this week, and a few more options will be available this week.
The side muffler is nothing new to them, that already use side muffler delete since 2007.

Quick Reply: GMG WC-GT Headers - Impressions