Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Any of you guys go from by-pass back to stock?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, def go see a doctor. Or if this tracking thing keeps your mental health in check, keep doing what's good for ya!

Anyone want my ceramic black coated GMG bypass? Street driven only!
Old 03-12-2012, 02:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

Maybe the GMG is a bit louder, I have not heard one. Around here they are all Sharky's, but I would not consider any of the drivers menally healthy.....
Old 03-12-2012, 02:32 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

I drove in my buddys stock GT3, and although it is quieter than my RSS bypass at WOT, I dont think my car was "that" much louder. Dont get me wrong, as there is definitely a difference, but its not straight pipe loud.

I would just go back to stock. From what I hear, the muffler delete/stock center is opposite of your situation now. Loud at idle and lower rpms, and stockish loud past 4krpm. One thing I did kind of miss when I rode in my buddies stock GT3 is the engine sound. You definitely hear more engine with stock exhaust, but no way was it worth taking off the RSS for. I think the car sounds awesome....
Old 03-12-2012, 02:34 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

Are there differences in the bypasses mentioned that one is louder then the other? They all look similar to me. Mike
Old 03-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

I had to piece meal a lot of the information as no one has reviewed all three together.

I got some flaq for apparently hair splitting, but there are differences between the units to merit some level of discernment at $1700-$2300 per unit. That's a nice chunk of change for a piece of metal.

Construction wise, the GMG is head and shoulders above from what I can see. It's completely machined and designed in-house and pricing reflects this. It has a megaphone design to make it louder and it's the only one with the pipe attaching the two exhaust pathways together. RSS's cross over occurs too late to make any difference and is likely an aesthetic choice. They're the only vendor that actually race tests their products including their bypass. I'm not sure what RSS and SW do in motorsport, sanctioned racing.

SW is the lowest priced and is the only one where you can re-use the stock tips. They also have hands down the best customer service and is the most aggressive marketer of their goods (effective). You can't get their piping in black (or it's not recommended for whatever reason) and if you go with their super sized tips, I don't like how you can see the muffler when looking at it straight on from the rear. Plus, they outsource it. Looks a bit rough.

Along the loudness front, I'm guessing that the GMG takes pole position, then RSS, then SW, but again, there's been no official review so I wasn't able to come with any real data based on my search here and elsewhere.

Sorry I can't be more affirmative, but it's the best that I was able to gather from the good Rennlist community. Though you can't go wrong with any of them, there are benefits and concerns associated with each.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the kind words fellas and indeed one can get ours in black ceramic coating if requested Just takes a week extra
Old 03-12-2012, 03:00 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Are there differences in the bypasses mentioned that one is louder then the other? They all look similar to me. Mike
GMG might be just a bit louder. Hard to say. RSS has a deep throaty howl that I love.

I don't think any of these bypasses are too loud, even for street and esp not for track.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Sound levels are subjective so I don't know if there is any sense arguing what is or isn't loud.

If you have to ask, you already know the answer. Sell the bypass and put the money to better use.

Having had stock exhaust, cup exhaust, muffler bypass, and straight pipes on my 996...I can tell you that there is something for everyone, from the normal to the clinically insane.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:40 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally can't stand the stock sound, the Sharky is my choice.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:29 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the GMG on my 4.0 and it has top notch build quality and sounds great. Had a chance to hear it wide open 100s of times last week at Roebling Road from the inside of the car and from the pits. The sound is fantastic! Having said that, I'm not sure it even stays even with the stock Porsche muffler as far as power is concerned. Would love to see some documentation from GMG. Allan
Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 PM
TNetworks
Advanced

I have an RSS Xpipe for sale, new on open box. $1350. I should have bought the car first. I love the stock exhaust with Sport on. PM me.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words. One thing that I know James was adamant about when designing our bypass was keeping the diameter of the pipe the same size as factory so as not to induce any extra drone or resonance. I know there are differences as to how these may sound as a result of different size tubing.

Having driven these cars 1000s of miles now, across the country and in different circumstances (3.9 997, 3.8 RS etc.) we were always able to keep phone calls when using bluetooth and hear the stereo if needed etc.

Also if you're looking to reduce the sound a bit, I recommend the factory tips, as they are dual-walled and smaller diameter (81mm) and this further helps keep with the sound levels in check. We have an optional 88mm tip (single-wall) which makes it a bit louder than the OEM tips.
Phone: 510-651-0300
Email: dan@sharkwerks.com

SharkWerks' Latest Updates on Twitter
Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

I've always used factory tips! That explains everything ;-)
Old 03-12-2012, 08:53 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
LOL. Yes, Sharky bypass is great for scaring the crap out of people over 5K RPM, yet, no boom and quiet enough low RPM. Perfection no?
agreed. this is what i would want.
it's the drone at low revs which causes damage.
no drone, then ALL GOOD!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Just to be clear, there's also no boom or drone with the GMG unit. Again, WOT above 5K+ RPM is when I just can't tolerate the volume. It's just flat out loud for my ear drums windows up or down. Just dawdling around under 5K RPM makes it quite manageable. But, there is that whole added NVH thing, too.

Maybe I should just try out the SW unit with the stock tips?

Quick Reply: Any of you guys go from by-pass back to stock?