Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Any of you guys go from by-pass back to stock?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 01:56 AM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any of you guys go from by-pass back to stock?

At the risk of sounding like a pu$$y, I find the by-pass a touch too loud at WOT. The scream from 5K+ is ear splitting windows up or down.

I love the sense of occasion when you start-up the car and at idle (esp on a cold start), but due to the ear bleeding antics at WOT, I find myself avoiding it which is kind of a downer for my street-driven GT3.

Plus the added NVH in the cabin created enough rattles for me to spend money insulating the door panels and it still rattles a bit.

I run the GMG unit. Perhaps the RSS or SW by-passes are just a bit more behaved? If not, I have the stock muffler gathering dust in storage.

I'm on the fence, honestly.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:12 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
At the risk of sounding like a pu$$y, I find the by-pass a touch too loud at WOT. The scream from 5K+ is ear splitting windows up or down.

I love the sense of occasion when you start-up the car and at idle (esp on a cold start), but due to the ear bleeding antics at WOT, I find myself avoiding it which is kind of a downer for my street-driven GT3.

Plus the added NVH in the cabin created enough rattles for me to spend money insulating the door panels and it still rattles a bit.

I run the GMG unit. Perhaps the RSS or SW by-passes are just a bit more behaved? If not, I have the stock muffler gathering dust in storage.

My car came with the RSS. First thing I did was take it off. The stock exhaust is loud enough for me.

Maybe a full Akropovic in the future, but that's probably pretty loud as well.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:27 AM
RAudi Driver
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,723 Posts

I just installed the RSS bypass on my GT3 and at first I thought it was way too loud. Now after it's been on the car for a while, I still think it's too loud and really want to take it off. I may go back to stock as well also.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:13 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm switching back to stock... I have the RSS unit. I'll be putting it up for sale here shortly. It's just too noisy. I can't use my cell phone whatsoever when I'm in the car without the person on the other end asking where the hell I'm at...

What do these sell for used generally? The RSS and GMG units are a lot more expensive new than the shark werks so I'm guessing they're a little more expensive used?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:49 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Interesting - I personally found that the Sharky bypass is the best mod ever for the GT3! I`d sell the car before I ever considered taking it off.

I find it fine for street use as I`m very conservative for a city drive and shift at 3k rpms before it has a chance to open up at 3.5k rpms. Don`t find it a compromise for the street.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 03-12-2012, 12:08 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

You guys really think a bypass with the valves closed is still too loud?!? I think its perfectly fine actually....

But Izzones Acropovic setup is best of both worlds. Pretty sick exhaust
Old 03-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

As I had stated, it's at WOT where I either need ear plugs or the stock center muffler. Valves open at WOT sport button on or off. I heard that the Ak setup is even louder. No thx. Plus, people never mentioned the added NVH. The GMG unit added rattles to my cabin that the stock setup never made apparent. I've heard from others via PM that this was also the case for them. Perhaps this is why Porsche has denied RMS warranty claims on GT3s with by-passes? Pure conjecture, but it does change things.

In terms of pricing, GMG > RSS > SW, and I believe loudness, too, but I haven't heard SW yet in person.

Ah, the beauty of factory design. I'm still on the fence about it. Kinda lazy to go drop it off and get it swapped. I think I will eventually.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerokitted

Meow... actually since I had a GMG on my 7.1 and the SW on my .2, I would agree that the GMG unit is a little louder esp at higher rpms

Originally Posted by SSTHO
Interesting - I personally found that the Sharky bypass is the best mod ever for the GT3! I`d sell the car before I ever considered taking it off.

I find it fine for street use as I`m very conservative for a city drive and shift at 3k rpms before it has a chance to open up at 3.5k rpms. Don`t find it a compromise for the street.
+1 ... and I shift it like I stole it!

perhaps a solution would be to try the tubi style "side" bypass pipes along with the stock center ... probably reduces more weight, retains the sport valves and might be quieter with the ctr section replaced ...
Old 03-12-2012, 01:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Pu$$y.

The sharkwerks is fantastic, too loud? I can have a conversation on bluetooth under 3500 RPM. even 4000RPM with a bit more noise....
Old 03-12-2012, 01:52 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the RSS unit and it will stay put until I sell the car or it ends up at a dismantler!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Pu$$y.

The sharkwerks is fantastic, too loud? I can have a conversation on bluetooth under 3500 RPM. even 4000RPM with a bit more noise....
Your hearing is probably already blasted with all the track time you've put your ears through.

Again, I'm not complaining about pu$$y footing around under 4K RPM. It's at WOT 5K+ where the howl is just beating on my young ear drums.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:09 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

LOL. Yes, Sharky bypass is great for scaring the crap out of people over 5K RPM, yet, no boom and quiet enough low RPM. Perfection no?
Old 03-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Yea, it is, if you can't hear. So you don't find it to be ear bleedingly loud when WOT at 5K+?
Old 03-12-2012, 02:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Only with the windows open near a wall, which I try to do as often as possible...

Quick Reply: Any of you guys go from by-pass back to stock?