Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

passenger airbag light issue...again

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:40 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
update to all of you who run into this problem! as i posted above, yes, the correct way would be to get the dealer to recalibrate seat BUT if you have a durametric pro (unsure if the enthusiast can do it), just go to airbags --> AWS --> "NO". that's it!!! the ECU no longer thinks there is a weight sensor so it does not condition the airbag deployment accordingly. FWIW, i do have the manual, key-operated, airbag cutoff installed. i know the light/system is still working correctly as i tested it by turning off the airbag manually - the console light went on.
Durametric Pro is a handy thing - have one myself - just remember to reset all these safety device modes back to default / factory conditions before selling your car to the next guy who may not be thinking about these issues.

Having that air bag deploy with a child (or small person) in the seat because the new owner had to manually turn it off and forgot (or didn't know) would be scary (and no doubt carry some liability ...)
Old 04-18-2012, 05:53 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

I wonder why this happens on some cars. I just changed over to Gt2 seats and had no issue with airbag lights. Had PSM, drive off, light failure on initial start up but after driving for about 1 min it all reset and was normal again.

Good luck
Old 04-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by homer997
I wonder why this happens on some cars. I just changed over to Gt2 seats and had no issue with airbag lights. Had PSM, drive off, light failure on initial start up but after driving for about 1 min it all reset and was normal again.

Good luck
i am still curious about that also: whether the "light on" crowd did something wrong/different during install than the lucky others. or is it simply our finnicky german electronics deciding when and where to act up?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:15 AM
Badblkevo
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you turn off the seat belt chime by programming out buckles, the passenger airbag off light in the console will remain on! AWS will not function without the buckle present.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:06 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,637 Likes on 2,319 Posts

^ using piwis, you can program out the AWS as it never existed. that way the AWS light goes off forever.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
^ using piwis, you can program out the AWS as it never existed. that way the AWS light goes off forever.
you can do that using dura pro too. note that AWS is in 2 places (at least for a C2S): under "seat weight sensor" and "gateway". i've seen a few posts that suggest turning off/inactivating both, but i only did it from the seat weight sensor menu and it worked like a charm. good luck.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:08 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 137 Posts

Had the same issue.

Brumos tried to calibrate with BK Sub-Bar installed. Calibration failed.

Removed Sub Bar.

Calibration succeeded.

While keeping all wires connected, reposition the control box and reinstall the Sub Bar.

Problem resolved. Perhaps the calibration was affected by the BK Sub Bar. That's the only thing that changed.

So calibrate without the Sub Bar and see if that works.

Hope that helps.

Just ran out to garage and snapped this.

Last edited by awew911; 05-14-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:32 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Badblkevo
If you turn off the seat belt chime by programming out buckles, the passenger airbag off light in the console will remain on! AWS will not function without the buckle present.
This happens when you disable seat belt chime on both driver and passenger. The passenger air bag light stays off if you only disable the drivers seat belt chime.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Beanster
Sorry to resurrect this thread. I'm having this same problem and before I commit to upgrading my enthusiast Durametric, I want to be sure that if you disable AWS that the air bag will still be active. Yes? No?
my intuition - which is, granted, a hell of a gamble considering a safety issue - tells me yes. i even called 2 stealership techs and they didnt know (but were happy to offer me the option of letting them invesitgate it at ~$150).

we're not turning off the light, per se, nor are we turning off the airbags themselves. we're merely turning off an in-line "validation" which thus incapacitates it from electrically disabling the airbags. ergo, they will still work. sound reasoning? i hope so...
Old 10-21-2013, 02:55 AM
maxbhp
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Another resurrection of this thread.....

I just installed a set of Gt2 seats in my RS and after disconnecting the battery and swallowing the key, of course the Airbag light in the central console will not go out.

After searching, it seems that the consensus is to use a Durametric and change the AWS setting so the car doesn't have that function anymore. But this would mean that the the passenger airbag is now inactive, correct? That is great for when I have my kids with me, but if I take my wife or another adult out, they will not have the protection of the airbag either then?

Or am I mistaken and with the Durametric removal of the AWS the light will now be off, but the passenger airbag will actually be active? Again, that would be fine when I have an adult with me, but what do I do when I want to take a little one with me in the RS?

Has their been a consensus on how to get the light to go out when no one or an adult is their and the airbag is active, and to come on only when it detects a child and becomes inactive?

Thanks in advance. I know this topic has been discussed quite a bit but I still can't find a clear and concise answer that seem to be universally accepted.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by maxbhp
Another resurrection of this thread.....

I just installed a set of Gt2 seats in my RS and after disconnecting the battery and swallowing the key, of course the Airbag light in the central console will not go out.

After searching, it seems that the consensus is to use a Durametric and change the AWS setting so the car doesn't have that function anymore. But this would mean that the the passenger airbag is now inactive, correct? That is great for when I have my kids with me, but if I take my wife or another adult out, they will not have the protection of the airbag either then?

Or am I mistaken and with the Durametric removal of the AWS the light will now be off, but the passenger airbag will actually be active? Again, that would be fine when I have an adult with me, but what do I do when I want to take a little one with me in the RS?

Has their been a consensus on how to get the light to go out when no one or an adult is their and the airbag is active, and to come on only when it detects a child and becomes inactive?

Thanks in advance. I know this topic has been discussed quite a bit but I still can't find a clear and concise answer that seem to be universally accepted.
i have AWS turned off and i can tell you with 100% certainty, without a doubt, that the bag will fire in the event of a (front end) collision. ask me how i know. the AWS is merely an in line validation - based on weight - that will turn off the bag (and make the light go on, as an indicator). the default operation of the bag is always on.

i also have the manual, key-activated override installed which would be the only way for you to easily switch from active to inactive. this turns my bag on and off (and the light indicates correctly). OTHERwise...

you have to go to a stealership - or somewhere with a Pwiz, as i hear that is the only tool that can do it - to calibrate. according to a tech i talked to once, there are 4 measurements they take during calibration: seat empty, seat with adult weight in it, seat with child weight in it, and weight being removed from seat (i.e. an adult getting out of car).

as far as why some people seem to have no problems after install and some do? i have no idea...i guess it has to do with whether the seat sensors (which are part of the rails? or are at the 4 corners where the bolts are?) were jostled or overtightened during install and thus need recal.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

one last thing to add: the only reason my bag fired during the accident was because i was too STUPID to remember to switch it off using the manual override before my track session. D'OH! but it would be interesting to confirm also if the manual override is doing ITS job but i dont feel like crashing again!
Old 10-21-2013, 06:04 PM
maxbhp
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
i have AWS turned off and i can tell you with 100% certainty, without a doubt, that the bag will fire in the event of a (front end) collision. ask me how i know. the AWS is merely an in line validation - based on weight - that will turn off the bag (and make the light go on, as an indicator). the default operation of the bag is always on.

i also have the manual, key-activated override installed which would be the only way for you to easily switch from active to inactive. this turns my bag on and off (and the light indicates correctly). OTHERwise...

you have to go to a stealership - or somewhere with a Pwiz, as i hear that is the only tool that can do it - to calibrate. according to a tech i talked to once, there are 4 measurements they take during calibration: seat empty, seat with adult weight in it, seat with child weight in it, and weight being removed from seat (i.e. an adult getting out of car).

as far as why some people seem to have no problems after install and some do? i have no idea...i guess it has to do with whether the seat sensors (which are part of the rails? or are at the 4 corners where the bolts are?) were jostled or overtightened during install and thus need recal.
Sorry to hear that you found out the hard way.......but at least you know. Thanks for your help.

How much of a PIA is the manual overide key to purchase and install? I would like to have that seems to be the only way to make sure I have the flexibility to take my kids with me or not.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:08 PM
maxbhp
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Beanster
I had my local stealership take care of this and they did not have to calibrate it. They told me they only had to turn off a setting on the seat called "transport" mode.

Cost: $115 (for precisely 82 seconds of labor)
Thanks Beanster. And does your light go on and off properly, depending on whether and adult or child or no one is sitting there? Or is just the light out, AWS not working, and airbags are always active?

If it's the former, I wonder if the dealer just used the PWIS to tell the car to turn off AWS if they didn't actually calibrate it.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:37 PM
maxbhp
Instructor

Thanks.

Now to find a dealer local that will be willing to do it for me for a reasonable fee. If anyone knows any service techs or managers in Socal area that are recommended please let me know. Thanks

Quick Reply: passenger airbag light issue...again