Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

SOLO DL

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 03:04 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have used Traqmate Complete for 8 years, I have used an old Sony HandyCam, then GoPro, and from 3 years ago, the Sony HDR series (solid state camcorder) model TG1 which is a super compact camcorder, worth $1,200 when it was released.

I got the difficult to find Sony HDR-TG1 car charger, so the camcorder doesn't run out of batteries. My traqmate equipment gets power from a +/- plug that I built into my Fiat. The RPM inputs are also coming from the same plug I built. The Traqmate Display unit is my track-day lap timer, and easy access to check lap times is available.

This setup requires merging data and video, data is very limited, and time spent doing this is significant, and I don't like videos where the sound/video/data have any delays.

Traqmate now sells a controller to trigger the Sony HDR on/off automatically, same for GoPro Hero2/Hero3 but the sound quality on GoPro is just disgusting (RaceKeeper sound quality is disgusting too).

In my opinion, sound is an important factor, so is video overlay, so is automatic merge of data and video, so is compatibility of the video format used with PC video software, so is having an in-car lap timer instead of waiting until memory connection to PC to check what happened, so is robustness of the system.

I evaluated and researched on a few systems due to being tired of the Traqmate/Video time consuming efforts, I need my time do to other things. After I finished my evaluation, the SmartyCam + SoloDL came at the top, and the Video VBox in 2nd place.

Video VBox did not have my need for an in-car lap timer, check my laps without a PC at the track, and lack of a quality data analysis software.

SoloDL is a lucky by-product of more complex an expensive systems sold by AiM, so the SoloDL inherited the years of development on the Data Analysis Software: Race Studio 2. RS2 is one of the strongest features in the Solo DL.

I'm very inclined to do a little of R&D with that VBox CAN bus no-cut/no-splice cable, but not for VBox, instead for AiM SOLO DL, as SOLO DL is becoming very popular worldwide, and the ability to share data with others is a plus for me.

I think, Racelogic CAN bus clip-on + Solo DL + SmartyCAM + Solo DL CAN bus cable is the feasible plug-n-play solution for the 2010+ GT3/RS38/RS40 , we just need a guinea pig (Eddie), an engineer (me), a car (Eddie's), the RaceLogic cable (???), the SoloDL CAN bus cable (Eddie), the SmartyCam (Eddie), the SoloDL (Eddie), Beer and The Office.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,144 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I evaluated and researched on a few systems due to being tired of the Traqmate/Video time consuming efforts, I need my time do to other things. After I finished my evaluation, the SmartyCam + SoloDL came at the top, and the Video VBox in 2nd place.

Video VBox did not have my need for an in-car lap timer, check my laps without a PC at the track, and lack of a quality data analysis software.

SoloDL is a lucky by-product of more complex and expensive systems sold by AiM, so the SoloDL inherited the years of development on the Data Analysis Software: Race Studio 2. RS2 is one of the strongest features in the Solo DL.

I'm very inclined to do a little of R&D with that VBox CAN bus no-cut/no-splice cable, but not for VBox, instead for AiM SOLO DL
A few things.

The GoPro Hero 2 and Hero 3 sound is MUCH better. The R-K sound is the worst. The Video VBOX (does) and AiM SmartyCam (can) use external microphones, as the GoPro Hero 2 and Hero 3 can, too.

The VBOX Lite does have a nice little OLED dash display and with the latest firmware, WILL display lap times upon return to the paddock with no PC or download required, but I agree that the software is not very good at all for delving into driver performance improvement.

The "trickle down" of the AiM RS2 (and all the CAN protocol work with the OEM's) is incredibly beneficial and profits the Solo DL user immensely!

After being a Traqmate devotee for nearly eight years and avoiding RS2 because I thought it was too much work to learn it, I have discovered (as you have) that it is simply heads and shoulders above the "canned" data graphical display of Traqview, TraqStudio, Circuit Tools, Comparo or RLC. To do as well, you need Pi ToolBox or any better, you need i2 Pro. It's worth learning!

The new 997 Mk_II/987 Mk_II/991 AiM OBD-II/CAN protocol works with the 2011 GT3/RS/4.0, just not with the 2010 and before.

As to your guinea pig request, I'm already on it! As a dealer for both and having stock of all components to test, I'm looking forward to a less intrusive way to do this!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-30-2012, 04:49 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

I'm very inclined to do a little of R&D with that VBox CAN bus no-cut/no-splice cable, but not for VBox, instead for AiM SOLO DL, as SOLO DL is becoming very popular worldwide, and the ability to share data with others is a plus for me.

I think, Racelogic CAN bus clip-on + Solo DL + SmartyCAM + Solo DL CAN bus cable is the feasible plug-n-play solution for the 2010+ GT3/RS38/RS40 , we just need a guinea pig (Eddie), an engineer (me), a car (Eddie's), the RaceLogic cable (???), the SoloDL CAN bus cable (Eddie), the SmartyCam (Eddie), the SoloDL (Eddie), Beer and The Office.
lets go do more "research" at The Office. I think we have spent more "research" money at The Office than a new SoloDL system costs LOL..

I order it the second I see it work in Eddie's car. lets hope that happens this weekend.

Originally Posted by Lolaman
A few things.

The new 997 Mk_II/987 Mk_II/991 AiM OBD-II/CAN protocol works with the 2011 GT3/RS/4.0, just not with the 2010 and before.

As to your guinea pig request, I'm already on it! As a dealer for both and having stock of all components to test, I'm looking forward to a less intrusive way to do this!
As luck would have it I just sold two 2010 GT3RS' I left the Traqmate in the last one and picked up another 2011 beater; I knew there was a good reason behind the maddnes
Old 10-30-2012, 07:17 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW !!! NOW the guinea pig is ready ... no cutting !!!

I'm on it !

Quick Reply: SOLO DL