Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

SOLO DL

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 12:59 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Race Keeper odbII gives you all sorts of info on temps, g loads, engine loads, fuel and oil levels, obdII speed, GPS speed and I forget the other things. Race Keeper is easy to use too.
You have no obd2 link and have to crimp wires. Video looks like crap.

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Doh - I kinda got the impression this was plug and play. I hope Peter K. can come up with a solution, or I'll need to switch to a different system.
Waiting for peters solution, but he does not have the exact right parameters I'm affraid.. The others are no better that is why he sells all of them ;-) he's always available for support, so glad he can help wither try much all of them. After you finally get it to work, he can data coach you to go faster too!
Old 10-26-2012, 01:32 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Time to start pulling my Fiat strings over the Italian boys behind AiM.

Be sure that the boys and girls at AiM will make it work.

As of now, SOLO DL with ODB2 connection and SmartyCam does not work in the 997.2 GT3, 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8 and 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0. I will believe it when I see it.

In a 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8, we have tried the Bosch ECU with 997 GT3 model protocol, and it does not pick up the RPM. We also tried the Porsche ECU and 997_987_MkII_ODBII protocol, and this one captured the RPM and throttle position, but the delay was in the 2-3 seconds range (0.5 - 0.33Hz). We need to spend more time testing 3 more protocol that could work, and retest the one that threw data, fine tuning on the bandwidth to speed up data transfer.

Eventually, we will come to a resolution, it is very easy to write a Setup Guide for Dummies once the proper settings are figured out, so it becomes a plug-n-play system.

In my Fiat, this system is truly plug-n-play, quality of data is impressive, RaceStudio2 is impressive, no more charging batteries, no more turn on or off the combo, memory lasts forever, I just install it in 5 minutes, no external antennas, install and forget, grab your final stage .MOV QuickTime videos, take them to QuickTime and set the beginning an end mark on the video (who wants to watch the car driving by the paddock....), then upload the fairly small file to vimeo/youtube, done. No need to spend countless hours merging data and video, because videos are already overlayed with gauges and data.

If the system needs to be connected via CAN bus, I would avoid it. I have it connected via CAN bus in my Cayman, but I don't mind about an ECU possible problem in a $25k car, like I would on a $250k car.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:34 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

As of now, SOLO DL with ODB2 connection and SmartyCam does not work in the 997.2 GT3, 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8 and 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0. I will believe it when I see it.

In a 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8, we have tried the Bosch ECU with 997 GT3 model protocol, and it does not pick up the RPM. We also tried the Porsche ECU and 997_987_MkII_ODBII protocol, and this one captured the RPM and throttle position, but the delay was in the 2-3 seconds range (0.5 - 0.33Hz). We need to spend more time testing 3 more protocol that could work, and retest the one that threw data, fine tuning on the bandwidth to speed up data transfer.

Eventually, we will come to a resolution, it is very easy to write a Setup Guide for Dummies once the proper settings are figured out, so it becomes a plug-n-play system.

In my Fiat, this system is truly plug-n-play, quality of data is impressive, RaceStudio2 is impressive, no more charging batteries, no more turn on or off the combo, memory lasts forever, I just install it in 5 minutes, no external antennas, install and forget, grab your final stage .MOV QuickTime videos, take them to QuickTime and set the beginning an end mark on the video (who wants to watch the car driving by the paddock....), then upload the fairly small file to vimeo/youtube, done. No need to spend countless hours merging data and video, because videos are already overlayed with gauges and data.

If the system needs to be connected via CAN bus, I would avoid it. I have it connected via CAN bus in my Cayman, but I don't mind about an ECU possible problem in a $25k car, like I would on a $250k car.
Lovely....I spend 2K on something that not only does not work, it fries my ECU.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:41 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Bunch of us have it and no word of the ECU frying thing yet around these parts....

Rad, what does "eventually" mean? Have not heard of that word before..
Old 10-26-2012, 01:42 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts

Rad, I speak from first hand experience on this issue. Been using AIM/SmartyCam/Solo since the first SC came out around '09. Have had my share of problems, but they're now solved.

The SoloDL works on both the 997.1 (Bosch) and 997.2 (Siemens EMS) platforms. The bracketed protocols are the corresponding ones to use in RaceStudio for an ECU tap. For OBD2, use ISO9141 (997.1) or OBD2_CANBUS (997.2).

OBD2 can be a starting point for a "plug n play" system--doable at the entry level, but there are INHERENT issues with the protocol that makes it ill-suited for enthusiasts. Limited data channels is one, latency is the other. But if you must, the SoloDL works on OBD2 in our cars. Have done it in my 2011 RS, complete with a SmartyCam hookup. The system even ported right across to my AMG C63 without the need for software reconfig. I didn't just hear that from somebody or read that on some forum. I've done that and it works. Period.

My preferred connection for the SoloDL, and the one I'm using, is an ECU tap. You can take do it at the ECU harness on the cockpit side of the engine bulkhead, at the wiring loom above the fusebox or even inside the steering column. The CANBUS offers a very good range of information that really unlocks the full potential of the SoloDL. 25+ data channels, 50Hz refresh interval. It's borderline pro-level datalogging and more than enough for the enthusiast crowd.

IMHO vendors who advertise "full" data collection via OBD2 are pulling wool over your head. The protocol's a 1Hz standard; some vendors may have figured out a way to "boost" certain channels up to 5Hz but they're still a far cry from a good system. Then there's the absence of key channels such as steering angle/speed, individual wheel speeds, brake pressure (i.e. psi) and other pertinent info. OBD was designed as an emissions diagnostics standard when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and for the sake of industry compatibility it'll never progress beyond its roots in diagnostics. Fiat, Beetle, whatever, are all limited at the protocol level. Our Beetle OBD2, or your Fiat's for that matter, ain't an iota better than that on a Dacia. Plug any working SoloDL into a Sandero and it'll capture EXACTLY the same data as your Scud via OBD. (granted those Romanian contraptions actually come with such ports )

If you've come across my AIM-related posts in the past you'd know I've been a very vocal critic of their lack of ECU integration. But in all fairness that issue has now been thoroughly resolved. Josh and the team at AIM US got my hardware problems solved and it's worked for me since then. I'm not affiliated in any way other than being a user, but I think they deserve recognition for at least that.

p.s. it sounds like you got a massive lag issue with your setup. With OBD in the past I've had maybe a 1/2 second delay (which I blame on the 1-2Hz refresh rate) but with the ECU tap my data's is properly synced and there's no visible lag between video and data. Datapoints are all captured at the set frequency (they're actual not interpolated datapoints).

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

Last edited by CRex; 10-26-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:43 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

I think it's interrupting communication on the Can bus in my car and freaking everything out. Those error messages probably have to be dismissed by the dealer.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:50 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I think it's interrupting communication on the Can bus in my car and freaking everything out. Those error messages probably have to be dismissed by the dealer.
If it makes you feel any better the other 2k systems are garbage also..

When much smarter guys then me struggle I worry.
I figure if I get the right system developed for gt3s I can sell a few thousand. I wish I was smart enough to multiply $2000 by a say 1500.

Hole in the market. Lets get some indiers typing code..
Old 10-26-2012, 02:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,643 Likes on 2,322 Posts

there are no smart geeks, eecs, comp sci ppl on this forum?
make something that works. i am even lazier now. i dont even want to press the on off button. i just want it to work. i think, it makes it happen.

that's why i love my toilet seat.
i get on it. i think, it happens.
simple.
i likey.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:24 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lovely....I spend 2K on something that not only does not work, it fries my ECU.
Solo DL, RK, TM, Vbox don't fry ECUs, installers do through wrong wires, wrong gauge wires, short circuits, weak grounds, and the multitude of different tampering scenarios possible by just trying to tap two wires in the car network.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:27 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Well, not frying per se. It's interrupting communications on the CAN bus with my current AIM configuration, which throws some errors, and the technicians assume it's faulty modules and start replacing them.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:38 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts

Well, not frying per se. It's interrupting communications on the CAN bus with my current AIM configuration, which throws some errors, and the technicians assume it's faulty modules and start replacing them.
U using the proper cable from AIM? I've had the car throw TC and all sorts of codes with reversed CAN+ / CAN- connections.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:41 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

It the cable I got from Peter, OBDII port.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:43 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same happen on my .1RS with Can SoloDL when I chose the Bosch settings (looked like it was for a cup car or RSR) For now I'm on the plain jane 997 selection with no can bus collisions but limited data...

Originally Posted by CRex
The SoloDL works on both the 997.1 (Bosch) and 997.2 (Siemens EDI) platforms. The bracketed protocols are the corresponding ones to use in RaceStudio for an ECU tap. For OBD2, use OBD2_CANBUS on all 997.2's.
CRex, can I get a screen shot pic of your setup on your .1RS? Is it picking up steering angle and brake switch for example?
Old 10-26-2012, 02:44 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is the config screen for the Fiat via ODB2, it works at the frequencies defined. I take any section of the track, and scroll in minimum units of times to verify the RPM (easiest channel to verify hertz) are logging at the set frequency.

Mr. Cuatro punto Cero was kind enough to send us his RaceStudio SoloDL configuration screen from his 4.0RS. Unfortunately, I was not present when the 2 guys tested this configuration 3 days ago, it was based on the ECU: ODB2, Model: CAN protocol, which supposedly works for Mr. Cuatro punto Cero. I have sent a request for a Road America file from him, so I can load the file in my RaceStudio2 and verify that indeed it is getting the data channels.

The system with ODB2 is plug-n-play, and good for dummies once configured properly, the road block is the proper configuration for a 2010 GT3-RS38-RS40.

This system is about to become the official DE Cup timing equipment, as long as it truly becomes plug-n-play and easy to setup for the Aero Beetles, and that secret recipe is about to be resolved sooner or later.

In the meantime, Trakcar 4.0 is in serious need to produce more videos for his awesome TV Show, Trakcar Nation.

Last edited by NJ-GT; 08-13-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:50 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is what I had on my M3 and M5 without issue using the M3 protocals. Individual wheel speeds, steering angle, braking switch, clutch switch, gear, all very handy...

Quick Reply: SOLO DL