Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rookie posts first driving impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:31 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by lopro
Nice thin race shoes and SRP pedles. I love reading your drive report. Was very inspiring. made me want to go driving. Enjoy your car its amazing.
Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
You're doomed...

And barefoot is great until you change the pedals, then, it hurts, but, in an oh so good way
Originally Posted by 1Gunner
@montoya, enjoy the ride it only gets better!! Sweet car, love it in yellow!

+1 ...for barefoot driving, on the street that is!! Great feel and comfort!

Ps, when in Daytona, stay away from those jet driers!! (NASCAR reference from last night's extended "left turn" race)

Originally Posted by utkinpol
using good shoes is better than driving barefoot, you just need to get proper driving shoes that look more or less casual.

http://www.saferacer.com/auto-racing...55&tagarray=21
Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
i prefer light, thin sports shoes, but cannot drive barefoot.
Originally Posted by tcsracing1
i have been known to drive in my socks from time to time..... very nice without shoes or at least very thin shoes.....
Thanks for all the shoe advice, own some nice puma's but not really appropriate at work! Socks work just fine for street driving for me. I have tough feet, no pain, just pleasure!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:52 AM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After last night's Daytona 500, your User ID and thread title begged to be commented on.....

Congrats on the new GT-3. Sounds like you are having a blast!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:57 AM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
I know these kind of reviews always sound like you are driving around like a wild man, but not at all- spirited driving safely within the limits of the car, but thanks for the cautionary advice anyways. There are a few corners where it is "safe" to go 80 to 90%- yesterday what I thought was going to be 80% was more like 70%! I live in the hills in NW Portland so I am careful not to "meet" my neighbors driving my car!

Already signed up for my first track day, so see, I'm already taking your advice! Alfa day at PIR coming up in March! Can't wait!
Whew! Good, just making sure!

If you are enjoying it on the back roads, just wait until you hit the track. The love affair has just begun!

Cheers!
Doug N
Old 02-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you old enough to remember the picture of James Hunt with his driving boot toes cut off? When I was 15 I thought that was silly, now I completely understand!

I will check out hwy 66, I don't get there too often but that sounds like fun![/QUOTE]

Yes I believe James and I were about the same age he had a rather unusual career both on and off track. I believe I have out lived him by several decades. it's been awhile since I have heard his name mentioned. He was one of my favorites as a youngster!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:04 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
200 miles in-
I love these kind of threads...stories of one's first miles in a GT3.
Good stuff!
Old 02-28-2012, 09:09 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54

Yes I believe James and I were about the same age he had a rather unusual career both on and off track. I believe I have out lived him by several decades. it's been awhile since I have heard his name mentioned. He was one of my favorites as a youngster!
He was an original!

Name:  hunt.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  48.4 KB
Old 02-28-2012, 09:13 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chardonet
After last night's Daytona 500, your User ID and thread title begged to be commented on.....

Congrats on the new GT-3. Sounds like you are having a blast!
You know, you pick a handle and years down the road you live to regret it. At least this doesn't cost me anything. My friend bought an Al Unser Jr. Nomex and Helmet from his glory years, at a charity auction. Now all it's good for is trick or treating!

Last edited by montoya; 02-28-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:17 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

So, get it to, oh, north of 6500 rpm yet? That was the moment that did it for me.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:21 AM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on your new car! I got mine 10 months ago. I thought the connection with the car was awesome from the very first day, but it keeps geting better every day. Just one track day (to too much going on), but I'm ready to really get into DE in the coming months.
Unfortunately hard to find any road that gets closer to replicate track driving this unbelievable high strung pur sang.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
So, get it to, oh, north of 6500 rpm yet? That was the moment that did it for me.
She's fully broken in, so yes I have! As I said, just incredible!

Originally Posted by AGO
Congrats on your new car! I got mine 10 months ago. I thought the connection with the car was awesome from the very first day, but it keeps geting better every day. Just one track day (to too much going on), but I'm ready to really get into DE in the coming months.
Unfortunately hard to find any road that gets closer to replicate track driving this unbelievable high strung pur sang.
Yes, even with only a few miles in, the car is getting more and more comfortable and the connection grows stronger. I can't wait to get it on the track, soon....

Quick Reply: Rookie posts first driving impressions...