Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Question for the DE guys who run Hoosiers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 04:21 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Most people I see on slicks / Hoosiers dont belong on them anyways. I have been to many tracks and met many people (some on this forum), most could learn better car control by stepping into a lesser tire an dlearning to drive the limit at a slower pace.
There you go again, badmouthing GT3DT.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:39 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clarke, actually uses more of the tire than anyone else... They've been tested on grass, dirt, in all directions.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:49 PM
lopro
Banned

this is epic
Old 03-08-2012, 07:30 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Yes, Vodka is good for laptimes, less bloaded. DE adrenaline is best hangover cure I know, just shake off the dizzynes and you're good. I'm only hungover out of the car.

Sure is, followed closely by food. You have to pick your friends, they are easy to recognise, they bring Vodka and beer.

LOL! Is Nick offering Coaching for a fee yet?
Even on Hoosiers your 2:23 is fast in your car, on hoosiers 2:22 is very fast. I think your goal is a good one, doable but hard! I think to keep up, you need slicks or more cheater parts. Neither Randy or me went faster then 2:23 in GT3 on RA1's. So I think you are closer than you think.
Thanks Reter.

Originally Posted by mdrums
Well actually DepDog got paid to coach...so I guess he's actually a professional coach now!
Yes, and don't forget it!

Originally Posted by The Greek
You stick up for a friend, and it goes unnoticed. Burke is still bitter.

I made adjustments last weekend....
You are never sticking up for me. Just finding new ways to turn the knife

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

Agreed. I spent a few on-track sessions (with huge and slow traffic) with him 14 months ago. He has the skills, his lines are clean and solid, but as you said it's all about entry speed and comfort. And frankly, as others have said there is nothing wrong with that. A good dude who is having lots of fun, and has gotten pretty danged quick!
Thanks Dave. I'm trying...

Originally Posted by cboll
What 19" Hoosiers R6 do you run on a 997.2 GT3? Stock size in the front is 235/35-19. Hoosier has them. However, they don't have the 305/30 - 19. Do you go to 315/30-19? Or, do you run a different tire size combination?
I would call Damon at Tire Rack. I'm running 18's and have no idea on 19" sizing. It is my understanding there is a 19" fitment.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:10 PM
sstjohn
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
That's like me...comfort zone....my car with a pro driver can do a 2:26 but I'm still stuck at 29's with the ocassional 28 hero lap on R888's...so far the MPSC tires have not been as fast.

You are right it's a DE not a race...be comfortable, push when you want, learn a little and most of all have fun among friends.

I'm no where near the GT3DE Cup league. I must bring beer to the next track day just so I can at least hang out.
With you Mike, plenty of fun to be had at 28's and 29's, ......until Reeves finds me a new implement.

Beer first, vodka soda later, almost hangover proof.

Greek, interested in a couple of beers next Wed or Thurs?
Old 03-09-2012, 04:40 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

As for your second question: DRIVE FASTER. That's how to get temps up.
BINGO !!!
Old 03-09-2012, 05:06 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Clarke, actually uses more of the tire than anyone else... They've been tested on grass, dirt, in all directions.
I do what I can to help the community out. lol

R6 need to be run hot at 30 lbs MAX. And they need to be flipped on the rims and they need to be switched right/left often. Then they last longer.

On a cool day a few weeks ago at Road Atlanta I ran 1:33 and a bunch of 1:34's on R6 with over 20 heat cycles. (yeh, yeh, yeh, I am using iPhone Harry's Laptimer, blah, blah, blah - check out Grady's data at same sessions where I am out running him on his stock tires and my iPhone times are pretty damn accurate).

Proper tire management make the R6 last a lot longer, I am finding.

I am currently testing my set of R6 to see how long they last. Expecting to get more than 30 heat cycles. I will keep you all updated as to what happens.

Disclosure: I got these ideas (30lbs., flip/switch, 30 heat cycles) from a very fast driver at Sebring running a 997.1 RS on R6 with over 30 heat cycles. I tried keeping up with him in his stock engine "old" car, I think I remember him pulling away, he was probably doing 2:17's. His only speed related mod seemed to be special springs/shocks.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:56 AM
JJE997.2RS
Instructor

Where are you guys finding R6's for $1500 delivered? I can't get that price wholesale from Tire Rack...
Old 03-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Disclosure: I got these ideas (30lbs., flip/switch, 30 heat cycles) from a very fast driver
One thing I have learned over the years is that folks often over-inflate R comps. They get a couple of great laps, then wonder why their tires go away. They also use bad air in their tires.

The only way to truly gauge prooper pressures is actually via temps across the tread using a probe pyrometer, on a truuly hot lap, via a friend in pit lane. You only have to do this 1 or 2 sessions (or even sets of laps) to get a sense of where your pressures need to be. When I run Hankook Z214's on my car (equivvalent to or better thhan an R6), depending on the track & how cold it is, I will often start with only maybe 24 front, 22 rear.

As for air: I am not a nitrogen fanatic. However, I do make it a point to purposely fill my air tank on days where the relative humidity is very low. The less moisture in your air, and thus in your tires, the less the hot pressures will vary from cold. Makes a huge difference in perfoamance AND longevity.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 99 Posts

R6 need to be run hot at 30 lbs MAX. And they need to be flipped on the rims and they need to be switched right/left often. Then they last longer.
Correctamundo. Sure, it's a PITA to swap tires from side to side every 4 sessions or so, and I flip all my tires, but it ultimately results in cost savings and longer wear.

Unless your tires are cording on both the outside and inside at the same time, people need to be flipping their tires.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 99 Posts

As for air: I am not a nitrogen fanatic. However, I do make it a point to purposely fill my air tank on days where the relative humidity is very low. The less moisture in your air, and thus in your tires, the less the hot pressures will vary from cold. Makes a huge difference in perfoamance AND longevity.
Track tip of the season! Thanks for the reminder.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:24 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Clarke, where do you start at with cold temps?
Old 03-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

On a cool day a few weeks ago at Road Atlanta I ran 1:33 and a bunch of 1:34's on R6 with over 20 heat cycles. (yeh, yeh, yeh, I am using iPhone Harry's Laptimer, blah, blah, blah - check out Grady's data at same sessions where I am out running him on his stock tires and my iPhone times are pretty damn accurate).

Proper tire management make the R6 last a lot longer, I am finding.

I am currently testing my set of R6 to see how long they last. Expecting to get more than 30 heat cycles. I will keep you all updated as to what happens.

Disclosure: I got these ideas (30lbs., flip/switch, 30 heat cycles) from a very fast driver at Sebring running a 997.1 RS on R6 with over 30 heat cycles. I tried keeping up with him in his stock engine "old" car, I think I remember him pulling away, he was probably doing 2:17's. His only speed related mod seemed to be special springs/shocks.
Stop with that 30 heat cycle thing. It's BS PERIOD end of story

30 psi only works for dirt tracking which I understand meets your criteria perfectly

I start (or started RS now gone) at 22 psi rear 24 front. Come up to 32 all around and play with air when I come in to manage 32 all the way around the rest of the day (always letting out more air as the day and track gets hotter).

To run 30 psi you'd have to start at 19 or 20 and be very careful with tire warm up to keep the tires from moving on the rims and 30 might be a little low for car control and grip but I do have love and respect for your thoughts so if and when I get another RS I'll give that a shot but I know I'LL NEVER EVER GET 30 HEAT CYCLES OUT OF ANY TYPE OF RACE TIRE, that's over 7 days and it's not going to happen. 888s won't last me that long.

PS I want videos of those 30 heat cycles
Old 03-09-2012, 10:42 AM
cboll
Intermediate

So can anybody give me the tire dimensions you're running on a GT3 or RS?
Old 03-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cboll
So can anybody give me the tire dimensions you're running on a GT3 or RS?
I like 315 30 18R and 255 35 18F

I think you can squeeze 335sR (easily on RS) and 265sF (with some work)

Quick Reply: Question for the DE guys who run Hoosiers?