Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Dealer says Porsche redesigned coolant fittings for 10/11 GT cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

In my dreams this is true. Unfortunately, members here as well as Alex from SW have documented .2 coolant pipe failures.

Also picking up bag o corn.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
In my dreams this is true. Unfortunately, members here as well as Alex from SW have documented .2 coolant pipe failures.

Also picking up bag o corn.
I'm going to the local loop market to do some shopping, will be picking up a bag o corn as well
Old 02-23-2012, 08:22 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
There are no "hooks" on 10+

As to difference in length, I will let a .1 knowledgeable person speak up.
Yeah not looking very hooked. Are there definite failures in '10 cars? Guys here? Would be helpful feedback for me to give them. Would be interested if there is any length difference.

He said the pn was different in PET from 09 forward.

For those that have done TIG welding- the question was raised as to whether anyone has looked at using the welding material used on aluminum AC lines as in residential use. Those lines apparently have much higher heat and pressure than the coolant lines in our cars. I don't know about welding.

Last edited by scott40; 02-23-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:46 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for this Scott.

Now, if this is correct, OVR should accept this explanation, and therefore not demand for 2010/2011 cars to run with Water Wetter, or to have the couplings pinned or welded, correct?

May I recommend that you submit this to your region, and see what they say
Old 02-23-2012, 10:37 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
Thanks for this Scott.

Now, if this is correct, OVR should accept this explanation, and therefore not demand for 2010/2011 cars to run with Water Wetter, or to have the couplings pinned or welded, correct?

May I recommend that you submit this to your region, and see what they say
I don't know. If the parts are longer but have still failed then I don't have a lot of comfort doing nothing.

My chief instructor who has an 04 GT3 will be there Sat. Will talk with him.

I may just run water wetter.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:54 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree, but obviously, Porsche introduced the mod to fix the/an issue, right? So this is their answer, the "official" answer. So again...
Old 02-23-2012, 11:51 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I have a 997.2 ('11) GT3 and had a coolant pipe burst at 2000 miles. However, this was not at the fitting, but rather in the plastic seam of a pipe near the front right wheel. No problems since repair.

Pass the popcorn please...
Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

I was hoping to drive my new RS 4.0 at OVR events this year. I'm not sure what I think about all of this, now. Maybe something convincing will turn up at or before the March 3rd OVR Ross Bentley high performance driving seminar in Dayton.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by W8MM
I was hoping to drive my new RS 4.0 at OVR events this year. I'm not sure what I think about all of this, now. Maybe something convincing will turn up at or before the March 3rd OVR Ross Bentley high performance driving seminar in Dayton.
Much ado about nothing. Just put Water Wetter in it and drive the thing.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by W8MM
Mike- just bring the CGT to our event in April . Saw it yesterday- still looks perfect!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:50 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this really is a sad issue. If they went to the extent of changing the fittings why didnt they address the issue properly
Old 03-02-2012, 11:58 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Got this today...

OVR COOLANT LINE SAFETY NOTICE UPDATE

It appears that Porsche has quietly addressed the issue of the coolant lines coming unglued from their housings in GT1 type engines. The housings have been re-engineered to increase the bonding surface area of the tubes and a new, high-strength/heat-resistant bonding material is used. We are hoping that they can tell us when they started using these new parts but unfortunately at this point that information is not available. It does appear that 2010 and later GT3 RS’s have them so one would assume that this would include the Turbo’s as well. *

Based on this, we will exempt these cars from the requirement that they MUST either run water with Water Wetter in their coolant systems or mechanically secure these pipes. However, unless your dealer advises against it, we strongly encourage the use of distilled water and Water Wetter. In fact, Porsche of the Village is offering a program where they will drain and capture your coolant and store it for you for future use. Then flush the system to remove the remaining glycol coolant then refill it with distilled water and Water Wetter for approximately $200.

We also want to caution owners of earlier cars that the fitting located behind the power steering pump, which has been the main problem, is not the only one that can fail. There are ones behind the alternator that have failed as well. Therefore, if you are addressing this problem by welding or pinning these fittings, you must do all of them. Even after this has been done you are still encouraged to change over to the distilled water with Water Wetter for track use since hose failures can also occur.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions,

Quick Reply: Dealer says Porsche redesigned coolant fittings for 10/11 GT cars