Old 02-29-2012, 07:47 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
You have no idea how bad I want to do this... The GT3 DE Cup Series would be turning into a nuclear arms race.
Thanks It's getting to be crazy! I think we're learning that with a lot of track miles there's a few extra things that need to be addressed:

Anything with over 15k miles we recommend doing the bottom end (rod bolts, bearings etc...)

Anything with 35k for sure do the Heads/refresh.

Either way they're going a lot more than cup car 60hour motors:P

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Thanks for the photo work -- gorgeous machinery.
You know, if you do enough of these 3.9's, sooner or later, you'll get to be pretty good at it.
Hehe well the super-clean (who has a race car that clean!?!?) FLA997 car just showed up in the downpour from Florida. I love the FL license plates too...

Can't wait to see yours

Off to time some cam-shaftalonnies!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:26 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
You have no idea how bad I want to do this... The GT3 DE Cup Series would be turning into a nuclear arms race.
Andrew - I'd let you drive it when it sees track duty later this year, but you may forever be displeased with me for inducing you to take the plunge and reduce the balance in your savings account.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:22 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
We don't cheat here in Florida, we simply "upgrade" our cars
Is Gingrich from Florida? He has a tendency to "upgrade" on his wives ...
Old 03-01-2012, 01:22 AM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great build documentation, thanks sharkwerks
Old 03-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 955 Posts

I'm curious why there are no mods to the intake system on the Sharkwerks 3.9 build? AP indicated that they could only get to 475hp on the RS 4.0 without modifying the intake manifold and airfilters. Manthey upgrades to a carbon intake manifold, carbon airbox and race filters on their K510 build.

Also, neither Sharkwerks or Manthey engine builds appear to reinforce the cam adjusters or chain tensioners, which Porsche saw as necessary on the RS 4.0 to maintain durability.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:53 PM
speedyralph
Rennlist Member

Subscribed!
Old 03-02-2012, 05:18 AM
nct510
Advanced

[QUOTE=sharkster;9321526] resurface the intake and exhaust valves and replace the intake and exhaust guides with honing for proper oil clearance, cutting of intake and exhaust seats. One thing you can also do is use manganese bronze guides that will last longer than factory:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Cameron,,,if I was doing this I would need two motors. One for the car and one for display in these gorgeous steps of reassembly, some in the kitchen, some in the living room, etc. etc. It seems a shame to hide them under the bonnet...pure artwork.[/SIZE]

Good job James, Alex, & Dan
Old 03-02-2012, 01:18 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nizer
I'm curious why there are no mods to the intake system on the Sharkwerks 3.9 build? AP indicated that they could only get to 475hp on the RS 4.0 without modifying the intake manifold and airfilters. Manthey upgrades to a carbon intake manifold, carbon airbox and race filters on their K510 build.

Also, neither Sharkwerks or Manthey engine builds appear to reinforce the cam adjusters or chain tensioners, which Porsche saw as necessary on the RS 4.0 to maintain durability.
hey nizer good questions although we're not comparing apples to apples here because for starters our engine parts are lighter, our cams different and all driven to push 8800 and not 8500 with heavier gear. Also we have different CR's, tuning and a few other little tricks we don't talk about The intake manifold was indeed a decent restriction with our 996 GT3 3.9L project car and in fact the heads fllowed about 100cfm less as well.

The airbox is something we did really play with and whilst it's hard to show proper gains and tune for it on dynos (with only 40/60mph simulated airflow) it we did get about 8-10hp from R&D/prototype intake projects. We did find that the design in the 3.8/4.0 cars with the second inlet (borrowed from the Turbo) was a great way to go. The problem is not everyone with a mk1 wants to cut/hack apart their 12k RS wing The tensioners and cam adjusters haven't been an issue on very highly strung, run and mileage cars. If you're thinking about the 3.8 ones which are different to the 3.6 MK1s you mean?

[quote=nct510;9326037]
Originally Posted by sharkster
resurface the intake and exhaust valves and replace the intake and exhaust guides with honing for proper oil clearance, cutting of intake and exhaust seats. One thing you can also do is use manganese bronze guides that will last longer than factory:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Cameron,,,if I was doing this I would need two motors. One for the car and one for display in these gorgeous steps of reassembly, some in the kitchen, some in the living room, etc. etc. It seems a shame to hide them under the bonnet...pure artwork.[/SIZE]

Good job James, Alex, & Dan
Kurt we haven't yet build a black darth vader 3.9
Old 03-02-2012, 07:31 PM
speedyralph
Rennlist Member

Shakster,

Does your 3.9 upgrade run hotter with the steel sleeves oppose to the nica seal (oe)?
Do you keep the factory lifters?
What kind of pistons do you use?
Do you use the same compression?

Ralph
Old 03-06-2012, 02:48 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Setting up the timing blocks:

Timing the cam shafts:

The intake manifold, wiring harness and all aux. components installed back on the engine:

The transmission is installed with the LWF and clutch upgrade (a Guard LSD is also fitted):

Back into the engine compartment:

All the fluids are put in as well as the intake:

We did say this project was a track car and hence the Shark Werks Track Exhaust is installed:

From the bottom that's now a very nice clean 3.9L engine ready to make some noise!

A look at that 4-Way Ohlins set up:

Two racing seasons later on the RSS links and still going strong!

With her HRE P40 Wheels on she's ready to be broken in:

She'll be off to TC Design for one of their slick roll cages as well as coming back for a factory RS tail:

And now James is focusing on our FLorida 3.9 car... A nice twist with this one is some suspension work too:P More on that as we go...

Last edited by sharkster; 03-06-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Hehe! This car is sweet. I watched James finish the engine install yesterday while visiting the shark tank. This is the ultimate No. California cheater.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:28 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sorry FOUR way adjustable (slaps my wrist!) Ohlins....
Old 03-07-2012, 01:00 PM
lopro
Banned

wow this is just sureal. This cars decked out, 3.9 build and 4way onlins plus track exhaust, RSS monoball setup, wow - total track warrior
Old 03-07-2012, 01:05 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by speedyralph
Shakster,

Does your 3.9 upgrade run hotter with the steel sleeves oppose to the nica seal (oe)?
Do you keep the factory lifters?
What kind of pistons do you use?
Do you use the same compression?

Ralph
hi ralph good question and the answer is not really any hotter in all the driving, tracking, testing than a 3.8 (also with steel sleeves). The 6's with an even larger bore can a bit.

We stay with hydraulic lifters. Whilst going to a solid would be neat and useful for certain stuff it wouldn't for emissions I can't really go into the specifics of our CR but it's higher than stock we have a few other piston tricks
Old 03-16-2012, 07:13 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

And now back from TC Design with one of their slick roll bars installed:

Also concealed in the interior is a switch for the EVOMSit Dual-ECU set up. One EPROM has a full 91-octane tune and the second ECU harbors a full 93-octane map:

The rear decklid is taken off:

Along side is a factory GT3RS decklid:

Assembly:

Installed:

With rake:

Quick Reply: Two More 3.9L Projects Underway @ Shark Werks