Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsche auction ... NSFW

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:25 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember someone here visited the dad's garage. Forget who it was but posted some really cool pictures. I did copy a could before he took them off at the owners request.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:11 AM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Boy, some big prices! Looks like Seinfeld picked up a couple of cars, including my favorite, the 917/30.

http://dedeporsche.wordpress.com/201...arch-9th-2012/
Old 03-11-2012, 10:10 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

yeah if I wasn't making large asset purchases right now the 962 would be my pick. the others to me are...meh (besides the gt1)
Old 03-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
yeah if I wasn't making large asset purchases right now the 962 would be my pick. the others to me are...meh (besides the gt1)
You're one of the few here that can credibly make that statement without bringing howls of laughter! If I had your situation, I'd be quite serious about that particular 962 as a serious investment. I think that GT1 is "fully priced" but if you scored the 962 under $2M, it's a car with a lot of appeal and enjoyment that ten years from now, will surely have doubled in value at least once or could add a zero to the end, but the prospect of it losing value is near to zero. With the extraordinary increases in individual wealth (as trillions of dollars around the world have once again gone from the many, literally whole nations, to the few) there's reason to expect that many of these rare and sometimes unique cars will never return to the market other than at prices which would make even the bravest player wince. : )
Old 03-12-2012, 02:38 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

CGT- really the only downside to cars like these as opposed to buying 'property as art' - in order to run them you need a damn factory team of germans.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:51 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
CGT- really the only downside to cars like these as opposed to buying 'property as art' - in order to run them you need a damn factory team of germans.
To run the 962 in a Historics race, especially around Laguna each year, would require some technical skills to be sure the car is healthy, but underneath, it's a 993 Turbo and all the mechanicals are remarkably simple except for the engine management.

I'd think of it as a intentional investment -- if it made money, take the profits at some point when it's absurd to hold the car (say it hits $25M) or to dispose of it and write off the loss and costs if it somehow fell out of favor.

The "bucket list" opportunity to drive a 962 at a Porsche event with some "legend" drivers in similarly significant cars circulating in a "gentlemanly" historic race would be worth the price of admission to those with the means.

The real obstacle for you would be liability and insurance. You'd have to have some sort of Jordan-like "love of the game" clause that allows you the freedom to participate in somewhat higher risk activities.

Years ago, a friend was seriously injured when he wrecked in his 962 during amateur racing (there's basically no driver safety cell for a car capable of approaching 200 mph in the blink of a eye.) He went on to rebuild the car (and himself) and drive again. I wouldn't be cavalier about it, but I wouldn't let logistics or risk factors deter me if I had the opportunity. : )
Old 03-12-2012, 03:08 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Adam, no doubt you have a talent.
But..rationalizing dreams, should be illegal..
Old 03-12-2012, 03:40 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

really to be honest "racing" historic cars isn't that appealing to me. the 917 and 962 are insane cars no doubt...but if I'm going to be going as fast as those things are capable of, it's gonna have to be a CF tubbed car. I'd rather really sack up and get an old F1 car and put a judd v10 in it. if someone else pays me to race that's another matter but last time I checked nobody left any VMs for me about racing their car at rennsport 6.

Quick Reply: Porsche auction ... NSFW