Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Intermittent 1-2 shift grind at cold start

Old 02-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent 1-2 shift grind at cold start

First time it happened I chalked it up to me being lazy and not shifting right. 2nd and 3rd time I knew it wasn't my shifting as I'm mindful of these things.

It only happens when I'm driving off from a cold start. It makes this ugly grinding noise going from 1 to 2 (can feel the shifter vibrate in my hand). It's never occurred after the car's warmed up. All shifts are normal.

I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer to get it checked out just because I don't like people I don't know messing with it. I prefer my indy, but my car's still under factory warranty.

I might try shifting a bit quicker because it doesn't occur all the time. The two times it's happened it was on a gentle, slower shift. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:22 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

get your indy to pull the drain plug and check for filings.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Any other thoughts? Thanks.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:18 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

I had the same thing on my car (that I just got) and when they did a recent transmission fluid change found that the fluid was very low... might be a good time for a change.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

I just got finished with the major 4 yr service. Oil levels are perfectly level. I had the grind occur before and after the gear oil was changed for a total of 3 times all recent in the 5K miles I've put on it in the span of 9 months.

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:44 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Did you use Mobil1? The shop that changed mine used Redline, they say the Mobil1 s a lot thicker then the Redline even though they have the same viscosity.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:47 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can only really be two things, worn out clutch or worn out synchros. Is it tough to shift in any other gear? Even if it's a clutch, it will be more problematic in 1st and 2nd than the other gears initially.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:46 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

colder temps make for stickier synchros, hence rough 1-2 year changes

mine does the same thing (based on your description) since winter started and it has the factory gear oil fill

that said, i understand the factory fill is a specific M1 gear oil
until I know better, I will stick with that version
Old 02-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Every shift is fine or feels normal to me. It's just that first 1-2 shift from a cold start where I've experienced the grindage. From then on it's beautiful or par for the course.

As to the fluids, I'm not sure. I'll have to ask my indy what he used, but again, the grind happened once before the major service and a couple times after.

I've searched here and the 3rd-4th came up, but my car is street only and babied.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Originally Posted by MarkD
colder temps make for stickier synchros, hence rough 1-2 year changes

mine does the same thing (based on your description) since winter started and it has the factory gear oil fill
I guess if it isn't wearing down anything or exacerbating an existing issue, then I'm cool and will learn to figure out a way to avoid grinding the shift. I've made a mental record for the past seven 1-2 shifts on a cold start. 3 out of 7 it went crraaaaack, but the shift action was slower as I was trying to be careful. The other times shifted quicker. I think if I upshift trying to perform a perfect rev match (quicker action), it hasn't happened. Again, I just hate to open stuff up when it doesn't have to be opened up. I've had a couple of bad experiences with dealership service. I only trust my indy.

Thanks for your testimony.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:01 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
I guess if it isn't wearing down anything or exacerbating an existing issue, then I'm cool and will learn to figure out a way to avoid grinding the shift. I've made a mental record for the past seven 1-2 shifts on a cold start. 3 out of 7 it went crraaaaack, but the shift action was slower as I was trying to be careful. The other times shifted quicker. I think if I upshift trying to perform a perfect rev match (quicker action), it hasn't happened. Again, I just hate to open stuff up when it doesn't have to be opened up. I've had a couple of bad experiences with dealership service. I only trust my indy.

Thanks for your testimony.
hmm...
well, now it is sounding more like a possible synchro issue as fc-racer stated
hard to tell without feeling it but mine is more "sticky" than "grindy"

earlier G50 gearboxes are very similar when cold and can behave exactly as you described. Tends to be the norm with a variety of gear oil choices.

wish I could be more definitive
Old 02-13-2012, 12:04 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthVan
Did you use Mobil1? The shop that changed mine used Redline, they say the Mobil1 s a lot thicker then the Redline even though they have the same viscosity.
I just changed mine with Mobil 1 again

Let us know he it works....when struck hot

Trans is cooled by engine coolant, when cold its clunky, when hot it quits shifting (25-30 min at Sebring)

I think there has to be a better trans cooling solution. Just haven't thought through it completely.

Thought about removing the plastic that covers it so it breathes
Old 02-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Aerokitted
Pro

It makes a loud noise and you can feel it vibrating in your hand through the ****.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:23 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Izzone
I just changed mine with Mobil 1 again

Let us know he it works....when struck hot

Trans is cooled by engine coolant, when cold its clunky, when hot it quits shifting (25-30 min at Sebring)

I think there has to be a better trans cooling solution. Just haven't thought through it completely.

Thought about removing the plastic that covers it so it breathes
About 3 months away from the track, still a little cool for the track.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:27 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. Mine has done that and the transmission is in perfect working order...new clutch and fluid too.

One thing to consider is that you should change the gear oil after about a thousand miles on new LSD clutches. A lot of metal gets deposited as the clutches break in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intermittent 1-2 shift grind at cold start