Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OT: Camaro ZL1 does the 'Ring in 7:41

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 02:06 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
If you think the ZL1 keeps you GT3 guys up at night, wait for the 2013 Shelby GT500 to hit the track.

the 2013 GT500 is going to kill the ZL1 and they even offer it in convertible.

I still have my 07 GT500 convertible as a beater and one thing i can say between my GT500 and my RS, a mustang is after all just a mustang, but a porsche is a porsche.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:53 AM
bosstucker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always loved the mustangs over the camaros especially the gt500s but I doubt that the new one will be faster than the ZL1. It definitely has the power/weight battle won but the ZL1 has that magnetic ride suspension and all the digital power management stuff that seems at least on paper, to be better vs the raw unadulterated drive and live rear of the mustang. But I would definitely be happy if that's all wrong and the GT500 is faster than the camaro, I've been looking at them for a while now and would be happy to have another excuse to pull the trigger.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:29 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 460 Posts

As a 2012 Boss owner I have been pleasantly supprised at how well it does as a driver and track car. Fun but the 6GT3 isn't for sale. Now GT500 and Ford screwed the Pooch with OEM rubber. 285 rear tires ain't gonna get it done on the track. Advantage ZL1.

Peter
Old 02-11-2012, 10:58 AM
lopro
Banned

my dad's been a long chevy lover since he was first able to drive, I have no interest in them but I must admit the new camero is a bit of a looker. He is getting one so I should be able to drive it once in a while.
I must admit when i first saw it I was very interested in knowing more about it. The weight is terrible tho, It needs that kinda power to pull such a heavy car. I dont think I would ever buy one but I would sure like to try it out. I guess at the end of the day knowing that I can give it back is a good thing.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:44 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I may pick up a caddy cts coupe as a DD myself.
The chevys are no joke on the track.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:34 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO the Ford makes a better tack car -
Old 02-12-2012, 04:38 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

So zl1 is faster than z06 now?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pewter82
2013 GT500 3800 lbs 650HP 600TQ , Carbon Fiber Drive shaft, Bilstein Suspension, Launch control ect

Should do some good lap times..
It is a purpose built +200mph supercar that will cost 60k dollars. Every component has been designed for speed and durability. It will blow the camaro off the track, tires or not and will probably give Porsche GT3s, RS's and 4.0s and Ferraris and the rest of them a fit. A car worth considering pony car or not at a lot less than 1/2 the cost of a GT3. Finally a reasonably priced supercar...and aftermarket and Ford Motorsport go fast and handling goodies will be affordable for commonfolk like me, unlike the pricing structure for pcar hop ups that command high prices due to the pcar name. Thank you Ford
Old 02-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Ever drive a new Camaro? I rented an SS when they first hit... windows like gun-slits and the door height was up to my shoulder (and I'm 6'4"). Really didn't enjoy it at all.

I'm really begining to question the 'ring as the ultimate test-track. It seems that any car with big HP, sports car or sled/brute/pig can lay down big numbers. The camaro is NOT a sports car... NASCAR perhaps
Old 02-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Ever drive a new Camaro? I rented an SS when they first hit... windows like gun-slits and the door height was up to my shoulder (and I'm 6'4"). Really didn't enjoy it at all.

I'm really begining to question the 'ring as the ultimate test-track. It seems that any car with big HP, sports car or sled/brute/pig can lay down big numbers. The camaro is NOT a sports car... NASCAR perhaps
A Camaro gave a LOT of Porsche GT3s a LOT of grief at Daytona 24. So it's fast on the road, race track, under endurance race conditions - what more do you expect from the poor thing??
Old 02-13-2012, 12:19 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
It is a purpose built +200mph supercar that will cost 60k dollars. Every component has been designed for speed and durability. It will blow the camaro off the track, tires or not and will probably give Porsche GT3s, RS's and 4.0s and Ferraris and the rest of them a fit. A car worth considering pony car or not at a lot less than 1/2 the cost of a GT3. Finally a reasonably priced supercar...and aftermarket and Ford Motorsport go fast and handling goodies will be affordable for commonfolk like me, unlike the pricing structure for pcar hop ups that command high prices due to the pcar name. Thank you Ford
^ this
Old 02-13-2012, 12:20 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
It is a purpose built +200mph supercar that will cost 60k dollars. Every component has been designed for speed and durability. It will blow the camaro off the track, tires or not and will probably give Porsche GT3s, RS's and 4.0s and Ferraris and the rest of them a fit. A car worth considering pony car or not at a lot less than 1/2 the cost of a GT3.
and it will not overheat after 3-4 laps on a track?
Old 02-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Well done, Chevy.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:40 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
and it will not overheat after 3-4 laps on a track?
as I understand it, there is an optional "performance driving option" that includes all types of coolers... these coolers are standard on the ZL1 and Chevy is using the fact they are standard as a sales tactic against the more powerful ford. I think the add on coolers are part of a $4000 option for the 500... dont quote me though...

If you can get one at sticker, I figure the 500 will be $70K with the right options and of course Ford knows this is the king mustang so it will have to crush the boss 302 and that is saying something in this price range.

the base 5.0 stang is as fast as an m3 with pobst driving at a nor cal track (cannot remember which one)
The 302 is faster
the 302 laguna seca is faster still
then the 500 will have to eclipse the 302 LS

I believe ford will sell out of the gt 500 just by nature of the car and what the payment will be... if it posts a ring time in the low 7:30s or better then it literally fly off the shelves and possibly earn Ford some take away customers.

This kind of power and handling war is good for the entire performance car industry... even engineers in germany have to consider their performance offereings in the USA when a guy can throw down in a pony car for usually far less money.

a ZL1 "laguna seca" style edition would be nice to see... get it down to 3-3200 lbs, with that susp and that power... weight is holding it back from a 7:30s ring time IMHO
Old 02-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
as I understand it, there is an optional "performance driving option" that includes all types of coolers... these coolers are standard on the ZL1 and Chevy is using the fact they are standard as a sales tactic against the more powerful ford. I think the add on coolers are part of a $4000 option for the 500... dont quote me though...

If you can get one at sticker, I figure the 500 will be $70K with the right options and of course Ford knows this is the king mustang so it will have to crush the boss 302 and that is saying something in this price range.

the base 5.0 stang is as fast as an m3 with pobst driving at a nor cal track (cannot remember which one)
The 302 is faster
the 302 laguna seca is faster still
then the 500 will have to eclipse the 302 LS

I believe ford will sell out of the gt 500 just by nature of the car and what the payment will be... if it posts a ring time in the low 7:30s or better then it literally fly off the shelves and possibly earn Ford some take away customers.

This kind of power and handling war is good for the entire performance car industry... even engineers in germany have to consider their performance offereings in the USA when a guy can throw down in a pony car for usually far less money.

a ZL1 "laguna seca" style edition would be nice to see... get it down to 3-3200 lbs, with that susp and that power... weight is holding it back from a 7:30s ring time IMHO
the 302 laguna seca is pretty sweet also if I say so myself

Quick Reply: OT: Camaro ZL1 does the 'Ring in 7:41