Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Dealer discovers aftermarket Xenon Kit I didn't know i had!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 08:37 PM
TNetworks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer discovers aftermarket Xenon Kit I didn't know i had!

So after enduring rattling beams of light while driving and now a burned out bulb, I take the car to dealer. Bad news: an aftermarket Xenon kit is the culprit and they cannot help me.
I've notified the Chicago dealer I got the car from and asked how they would like to handle it. Seems the car shipped with halogens originally.
Anyone agree I'm entitled to having them absorb cost or putting car back to stock? I know halogens suck but I don't drive much at night.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:36 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Saw your earlier post - might be worth checking for signs of front end damage ? Did they replace with aftermarket Xenons as a part of a repair ? It's the conspiracy theorist in me.

Unless the dealer advertised the car as stock I think you may be SOL. If they advertised it as stock then they should own up to their mistake.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:40 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, Did you buy the car as a New car or used ? I don't see where you note this in your post

That could make big a difference !
Old 02-07-2012, 02:52 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Did the car come with any remaining Porsche warranty?

If you bought it with original or CPO warranty, the car needs to be sold 100% stock.

If you bought it non Porsche certified, it could have any mod and that would be OK.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:26 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Did the car come with any remaining Porsche warranty?

If you bought it with original or CPO warranty, the car needs to be sold 100% stock.

If you bought it non Porsche certified, it could have any mod and that would be OK.
Excellent point!

And to the OP: can't the bulb be replaced even on that non-OEM assembly?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:09 PM
TNetworks
Advanced

Sorry for glaring omission.
Car was purchased used, non-CPO = SOL for me. In truth, the cost of replacing the aftermarket Xenons (at a quality shop) is well worth having the extra light over stock halogens.
I'll know the exact cost later today. Most Xenon kits are crap and targeted to Fast 'n Furious crowd....likely what previous owner had in my car.
Thanks for feedback.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:49 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 205 Posts

OT: I want a red GT2 RS steering wheel like yours. Where can I find them? I don't see them at Suncoast anymore...
Old 02-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Originally Posted by TNetworks
Sorry for glaring omission.
Car was purchased used, non-CPO = SOL for me. In truth, the cost of replacing the aftermarket Xenons (at a quality shop) is well worth having the extra light over stock halogens.
I'll know the exact cost later today. Most Xenon kits are crap and targeted to Fast 'n Furious crowd....likely what previous owner had in my car.
Thanks for feedback.
Try contacting Steve at XenonDepot.com (info@kbcarstuff.com). He's well known in the Lexus circles, is a Porsche fan, and puts out quality kits using Philips 4300K bulbs (factory).

Good luck.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Don't rule out the stock halogens in the car. I have the LTW headlight option in my 4.0 which is a standard halogen headlight. It puts out plenty of light at night without giving anything a blue tint. I have no issues with these headlights.

One thing to note about GT3s is they come standard with Bi-xenon headlights unless the car was spec'd with the lightweight headlights. Only with the lightweight headlight option did they come with the standard halogens. The easiest way to tell which option your car came with is if it has the nipple on the front for the headlight washer system. If it has the nipple then it definitely came with Bi-xenons from the factory.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:24 PM
TNetworks
Advanced

Hey kyrocks, the red sterring wheel came with the car....I figured it was from Suncoast. Bummer to hear they're no longer available.

Quick Reply: Dealer discovers aftermarket Xenon Kit I didn't know i had!