Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Trofeo Tire Pressures

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:55 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok, so I reread the copy from Pirelli quoted in one of the earlier messages. It noted an up to 80% reduction in wear (not 80% greater tread life). If I understand that correctly, the new tires should thus last up to 5x longer. Pretty disappointing if you were in fact on the new compound and they only lasted a day.....

Originally Posted by Laertes
Yorkshireman-- were you running the brand new revised-compound Trofeos, or the older, original compound (known for its ephemeral life expectancy)? If you were on the new ones, it sure calls into question the claim of 80% greater longevity. Maybe they mean it's now 1.8 days instead of just one......
Old 02-29-2012, 08:41 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Yorkshireman
So, I just did some maintenance on the brakes and in the process inspected my rears closely. The left rear was corded 4 inches from the outer edge. IN ONE DAY! The right rear is pretty smooth, the left is shot totally. PBIR is very abrasive and has those loooong righthand sweepers. I actually took 3s a lap off my previous best, but disposable tires is a new concept to me. I expected them to last a little longer than one day. More neg camber would have helped, but not much.

Here's a video, dedicated to the memory of my first and last set of Trofeos. Long may they rest in peace.

http://youtu.be/ATNoVUChyeU
Can you post pics of the cording?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by Laertes
Ok, so I reread the copy from Pirelli quoted in one of the earlier messages. It noted an up to 80% reduction in wear (not 80% greater tread life). If I understand that correctly, the new tires should thus last up to 5x longer. Pretty disappointing if you were in fact on the new compound and they only lasted a day.....
Repeating, there are no new Trofeo R compounds in the US at this time. This comes directly from Pirelli distribution.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:25 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Nizer...GMG claims to have them. Fabryce just quoted me $$$ on a set.....The new R's are WAY expensive too.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:51 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LVDell
Can you post pics of the cording?
Yes, if you could post a few pics it would be good. That area of the tread face is usually where they wear out when they are run at too high pressures. I would easily gain 6-7 psi from cold to hot and it is/was critical to come in and bleed off air. Otherwise that first rib from outside is worn severely sometimes to the degree of leaving other ribs and that one is nearly worn out.

Also would be very interesting to know what camber is on both rears. "Now", not when it was last adjusted

Also I would never combine Trofeo and Corsa unless I was out to simply hack around or practice drifting or something. I would imagine Corsa on the front would make it understeer like crazy.

Trofeo's are much more sensitive to pressures and geometry than MPSC. When properly setup, they reward and are a very fast tire that can be driven to/from track as opposed to Hoosiers. I always got a solid four track days out of a set, but was religious about keeping proper pressures.

All said with no emotion and not in accusatory fashion Mr. Yorkshireman
Old 02-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Repeating, there are no new Trofeo R compounds in the US at this time. This comes directly from Pirelli distribution.
Any idea when and who would get/sell them?
Old 03-21-2012, 02:19 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z06
Any idea when and who would get/sell them?
Update: Trofeo "R" For 10+ RS OE sizing (245/325-19") Late 4th quarter 2012 or 1st quarter 2013. Regardless of what you might read elsewhere, that is the facts man

The regular Trofeo we know and love (or not) is currently available, I just ordered a set

Quick Reply: Trofeo Tire Pressures