Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
F458

Gearbox - 9
Suspension - 7
Brakes - 8
Motor - 10

Massive intervention of the electronics to make you feel like a hero, e-diff 3.0 + F1 Track 2.0 + EBD = abuse of rear brakes.

I have seen 3 of these driven at Sebring, one by a 360 Challenge owner turning 2:20s in the Challenge and 2:30s in the F458, two more driven a few weeks ago, with one of them driven by a seasoned Club Racer, and lap times nowhere near what a 3.8 RS laps around Sebring.

It weighs 3,500 lbs, it doesn't put the power to the wheels that represents 562Hp at the crank, the F458 Challenge transmissions are not holding well in race conditions, and rear suspension design and shocks used are a disappointment.

F458: BWI steel shocks with sleeves for ride adjustment (cost cutting) made in Polland, and elimination of upper a-arm with a single 2 points arm.

Scuderia: Sach aluminum shocks with threaded bodies made in Germany, double A-arms.

However, it is very easy to improve the F458 Italia, proper springs, shocks, alignment, wheel sizes, tires, brake pads, seats, exhaust, and transmission cooler.

For street use, it is probably one of the best cars around. For track use, it needs minor work.

Compared to the standard F430 it is a quantum leap apart, compared to the 430 Scuderia it dissapoints on all the dynamic ranges except acceleration, and in this specific area, Fiat left a lot to be gained in the Scuderia, not so much in the Italia.

Thanks to MP4-12C and the incoming MP4-12C GT street car, the track day version of the F458 will deliver performance as expected.
dibbs on the Scuderia when your done with her!
Old 01-31-2012, 02:36 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

458 is best ferrari in years imo.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:28 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

good thread action...will take car to local track next week and report to the GT3 brotherhood.

Trakcar and Izzone...I want to drink with you guys eal soon.

Rad - great and informative posts(and I almost bought a crazy white scud insstead of 458)
Old 01-31-2012, 04:36 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

I've never been a Fiat fan, but after tracking a 458 - I believe this is one of the most usable super cars of all time. Easy to drive quickly and makes everyone feel like a hero. OP - GREAT CHOICE!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:41 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

Agreed...bought car Saturday with 1000 miles. Just passed 500 miles in 3 days!!!

I am Porsche owner for 20+ years but this truly is a special car.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:23 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^ More pics
Old 01-31-2012, 09:39 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
Agreed...bought car Saturday with 1000 miles. Just passed 500 miles in 3 days!!!

I am Porsche owner for 20+ years but this truly is a special car.
Watch for the inner rear pads. The car driven at a racetrack with RACE mode uses a lot of the rear brakes. With two different sets of brake pads, we saw a lot of wear on the inner rear pads.

Full thickness is 10mm for pad material (plus 5mm for the backing plate).

The stock inner rear pads wore at a rate of 2mm per track session, the track pads at a rate of 1mm per track session, on stock tires and stock alignment. Adding sticky tires would increase brake pads wear, and at $4,200 for a set of brake pads from the parts counter, it can become expensive on the long term.

For street driving, car is perfect.

Typical Ferrari fires are linked to red hot headers/catalytic converters and an unfortunate leak from any oil or fuel source, plus the supposedly flammable glue used on the F458 rear. Capristo headers with insulation jacket, and insulation jacket for the stock cats would drastically reduce this risk. In my Scuderia I can touch the header's jacket w/o getting burned.

And here is what Akrapovic just made for the Italia, I don't like the Italia stock sound, it is not refined enough, but this system seems to fix it, the video shows a nice tone with a higher pitch.

http://www.akrapovic.com/car-exhaust.../evolution-88/
Old 01-31-2012, 01:09 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
the beetle will pull more panties at boca raton
We took 6 of them to Mizner park. No panties dropped.

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

- You can't drag race your Aero Beetles because axles will be flying out on the drag strip.
- None of the Aero Beetles is running stock brakes, because they suck. Fiat brakes suck too, but fix is quite simple.
- Fiat don't have a bladder condition, Aero Beetles **** every single fluid.
- I have yet to replace the first front spoiler lip in the Fiat, you buy them by bulk.
- I'm still using my factory clutch, lsd, and the Aero Beetles are in the 2nd or 3rd replacement of the same parts.
- I have not replaced toe links, or control arms, because the Fiat comes with quality pieces.
- While you keep stripping your Aero Beetles, I keep my amenities, such as valve controlled muffler, A/C, ipod link, Navi, Bluetooth link, cd player.
- Fiat uses real carbon fiber pieces, not a layer of CF over crappy sun blocker melting plastic.
- No matter what muffler tweak you put on Aero Beetles, Fiat makes music, VW pollutes.
- You can't drag race your Aero Beetles because axles will be flying out on the drag strip.
**Who would want to?
- None of the Aero Beetles is running stock brakes, because they suck. Fiat brakes suck too, but fix is quite simple.
** You only change pads on Fiat, C'mon fess up, you are adding cooling, calipers and aftermarket rotors also! Get get 16 days front and 24 days rear at Sebring on OEM everything but pads.
- Fiat don't have a bladder condition, Aero Beetles **** every single fluid.
** Bone dry. Seems fixed in 3.8+ And I don't need diapers in engine bay to keep it from going up in flames.
- I have yet to replace the first front spoiler lip in the Fiat, you buy them by bulk.
** I'm in my first CUP, the OEM is new on shelf.
- I'm still using my factory clutch, lsd, and the Aero Beetles are in the 2nd or 3rd replacement of the same parts.
** True, 3.8 need PP and clutch fix.
- I have not replaced toe links, or control arms, because the Fiat comes with quality pieces.
** That is not a quality issue that is comfort VS performance.
- While you keep stripping your Aero Beetles, I keep my amenities, such as valve controlled muffler, A/C, ipod link, Navi, Bluetooth link, cd player.
** Got all that, except navi. I know where Sebring is.
- Fiat uses real carbon fiber pieces, not a layer of CF over crappy sun blocker melting plastic.
** My CF looks better then your CF.
- No matter what muffler tweak you put on Aero Beetles, Fiat makes music, VW pollutes
** Beetle makes great music, Fiat makes better music.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:11 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by richk
good thread action...will take car to local track next week and report to the GT3 brotherhood.

Trakcar and Izzone...I want to drink with you guys eal soon.

Rad - great and informative posts(and I almost bought a crazy white scud insstead of 458)
Welcome
Drinks on me if I get a ride in the Fiat and you takes pictures of it with me in it.
Don't believe Rad's rosey renderings of the Fiat track adventures. They always leave on flat beds.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:13 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
dibbs on the Scuderia when your done with her!
You like duct tape?
Old 01-31-2012, 01:38 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
** Bone dry. Seems fixed in 3.8+ And I don't need diapers in engine bay to keep it from going up in flames.
BURN!
Old 01-31-2012, 01:42 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Listen to your boy.

It's OK to dabble in Italy for a bit and we can all understand the occasional discretion, but it's time to get "back on track".
I'll just leave you with this:

I am going to add a few cars in 2012. Next on my list is replacing the black CGT I should never have sold. I have to say my 10 year has good taste.
he's right, get a yellow and a black one.
Attached Images   
Old 01-31-2012, 02:10 PM
Allan A
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a chance to drive the 4.0 over the weekend, a friend picked his up and we switched between the 2007 RS and 2011 4.0 RS. Loved the car, just a blast to drive. A 458 is a beautiful car and would love to drive it someday, I also liked driving the FF over the summer the sounds are music.

Great choice.

Allan
Old 01-31-2012, 08:33 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

^wish the fcar guys were abit "I got a trackday rain or shine I'm driving" in NorCal. When it rains it's a car show. Mike

Quick Reply: passed on a 4.0RS...