Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rolex 24

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 01:09 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

last of my quick n dirty's....hope you enjoy!
Attached Images    
Old 01-31-2012, 01:11 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Be sure to go back to PAGE 6 of this thread for more pics....!!!! IZZONE is in 2 of them!
Old 01-31-2012, 01:16 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

Great pics, Mike! They make my iPhone pics look bad Great to see you this past weekend. Hope to have a chance to catch up at the Chin event at Sebring in April!
Old 01-31-2012, 01:36 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice pics, mike!
great shooting
Old 01-31-2012, 02:59 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
I think the older Cup cars were given some leeway on use of fenders and the like. If I'm not mistaken, the Bullet and Burtin cars were both older - 2006/7? I could be wrong here, but, I think that was the case.
ahhh, good point.... perhaps Bullet kept the 2011 CUP on the Pacific coast....

that would explain the fenders.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:36 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

Holy Wow, I haven't been online in a week and come back to this. Really feeling the love here from the Rennlist faithful. And I'm very happy with the results from the gearbox. In case you don't know it, the cracked up front end cut a tire, which in turn cut the hydraulic line for the clutch. We repaired it, but the clutch never worked properly again after that. In essence, we ran the final 5 hours of the race with no clutch!!!

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
ahhh, good point.... perhaps Bullet kept the 2011 CUP on the Pacific coast....

that would explain the fenders.
When GA announced the change in tire size the whole game changed. To run the 2011 Cup would have required a $55k investment in a spares package and major body work to tub the rear end to accomodate the new tire.

Instead the decision was made to run the 2009 car, the same car we've run the last 3 years, because it was already tubbed enough to take the new tire. The body work that we run on it is Cup S bodywork.

There were actually quite a few 2009 cars in the field, though many of them had been reskinned to look like the later cars during the modifications to make it work for the race.

Expect to see the 2011 Cup from Bullet in the Canada Cup series.

Regards,

Matt Monson
Guard Transmission LLC
Old 01-31-2012, 03:21 PM
lopro
Banned

the last of the few pics I found - I think that was the best race I ever watched/followed on tv/net and forums. Great coverage. Great times. Cant wait till next year and the rest of this years grandam/alms races. Interesting to know about the cut tire and the clutch problems, It really explains lots. I bet if something like that hadnt of happend bullet would have been right up with the front runners. They are did well for themselves considering they ran into trouble like that with the clutch. Running 5 hours without a clutch must have been a rough run. Amazing results regardless. Good job keeping the car on the track and turning laps. Does Bullet plan to use the current wheels for canada cup? Or do you guys have a different wheel in mind? WHo makes the bullet racing wheels is it forgeline?? Congrats.

Mike thanks for posting these pics, they are amazing. Lots of great shots, You should come to mosport this ALMS and take pics for the race. Id like to meet you.
cheers.

Last edited by lopro; 01-31-2012 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 01-31-2012, 04:28 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Holy Wow, I haven't been online in a week and come back to this. Really feeling the love here from the Rennlist faithful. And I'm very happy with the results from the gearbox. In case you don't know it, the cracked up front end cut a tire, which in turn cut the hydraulic line for the clutch. We repaired it, but the clutch never worked properly again after that. In essence, we ran the final 5 hours of the race with no clutch!!!

When GA announced the change in tire size the whole game changed. To run the 2011 Cup would have required a $55k investment in a spares package and major body work to tub the rear end to accomodate the new tire.

Instead the decision was made to run the 2009 car, the same car we've run the last 3 years, because it was already tubbed enough to take the new tire. The body work that we run on it is Cup S bodywork.

There were actually quite a few 2009 cars in the field, though many of them had been reskinned to look like the later cars during the modifications to make it work for the race.

Expect to see the 2011 Cup from Bullet in the Canada Cup series.

Regards,

Matt Monson
Guard Transmission LLC
Very interesting!
Keeping the 2011 CUP on ice for the CUP series in CUP specs.... love it!

A lot of Rolex 24H history in the tub used for 2012! Still running strong!
Even with the tire/tranny issue it managed to remain consistent top 20 for hours amongst the largest field of talent in GT you could possibly ask for!

Kept the #65 Ferrari at bay too!

Well done!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:38 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Yep, including practice and qualifying that tub has more than 100 hours of time on it just on track at Daytona!!! But it's time to put the old girl out to pasture. Next year the rules say she's too old to run anymore. Contrary to a comment above about there being some 2006 and 2007 Cups in the field, there weren't. Those cars are already too old to run in GA anymore.

Keep an eye out for coming announcements. Both Guard and Bullet have plenty of new and interesting stuff in the works for this coming race season. We're just getting started.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:40 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Kept the #65 Ferrari at bay too!

Well done!
I think this is a point that a lot of people are overlooking. I know that there were many more Porsche cars in the race than other manufacturers, but, the Fiat is supposed to be a world beater and Grand-Am made several concessions to allow the 458's to run. Best they could do - 5th place

Also, didn't know the year, just knew that there were "older" CUP cars on the grid. Sorry for the mistake.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:47 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike, great pics Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:35 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Also, didn't know the year, just knew that there were "older" CUP cars on the grid. Sorry for the mistake.
No apologies required. The rulebooks for motorsports are nebulous things. Teams read them over and over making sure they go to the limit but not over the limit on most everything.

Back in the day it's part of what made Porsche the winning marque that they are. The 935s are the most famous example of that. They took the bodywork on those cars to the absolute limit of what was allowed. They had to keep the rear window in the stock location and run the stock rear taillights, but beyond that, Porsche had pretty wide leeway back then to tweak the heck out of the body.

These days, all that stuff is way more tightly controlled. The GA officials have this CNC metal jig they slide over the rear wing on the cups to check the angle on them. If the jig doesn't drop down properly, the wing is at an illegal angle and won't pass tech.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:58 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

the Fiat is supposed to be a world beater and Grand-Am made several concessions to allow the 458's to run. Best they could do - 5th place
if they had a street circuit race in miami with ocean drive as the main straight, they would definitely come 1st.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:33 PM
lopro
Banned

Does anyone know who made the bullet racing wheels?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:37 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike nice to see you again, great pics.

Quick Reply: Rolex 24