Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Left key in ignition overnight

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 01:15 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Good to know.

Initially I could not get the charger to open the hood via the fuse box, but it did work once i switched it from normal mode to "supply" mode. More juice.

Now it is charging normal mode and may take many hours.

When this first happened there was something wrong with the passenger door latch. It will close and open but you really have to slam it hard. Like something in the door latch mechanism is not functioning properly. Has anyone experienced this following loss of battery power? Driver door did it too but it "reset" once the battery came to life.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:08 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
Good to know.

Initially I could not get the charger to open the hood via the fuse box, but it did work once i switched it from normal mode to "supply" mode. More juice.

Now it is charging normal mode and may take many hours.

When this first happened there was something wrong with the passenger door latch. It will close and open but you really have to slam it hard. Like something in the door latch mechanism is not functioning properly. Has anyone experienced this following loss of battery power? Driver door did it too but it "reset" once the battery came to life.
Windows can't drop without juice ?
Old 01-21-2012, 03:20 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Ouch! Been there - done that. The procedure was rather involved as I recall. You have to read the manual carefully. I recall that the whole affair took a _lot_ longer than I had anticipated.

A friend of mine was just telling me about a similar situation he found himself in. In his case, he bought a "heavy-duty" deep cycle battery charger (sorry - I can't recall the brand or specifics), one like they use at a dealership. He claimed it worked really well to restore a battery back to (very nearly) full health. In my case, I went to my local dealer and bought a new battery. I now wish that I had tried this deep cycle approach to see if I could have saved my battery. That's a lot of lead and acid to go into landfill. Ugh!
Old 01-21-2012, 03:51 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by acadian_dad
Not sure what you mean....

If battery is dead and hood is locked, you have to "manually" open it by connecting a positive lead to the fuse box and negative lead to the door stop/joint. Other end can be a separate battery/car or a charger. Once set up, open hood with key. Then you can proceed to charge battery.

Sounds more complicated than it is, really. In a way I am glad it happened cause now I have a cool charger, which I wanted anyway but had not until now been motivated to buy. Autoplicity has a great price on the pimp Ctek charger.

Now to find out what the hell is wrong with my door latch......
Old 01-21-2012, 08:27 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
Originally Posted by acadian_dad
Not sure what you mean....

Now to find out what the hell is wrong with my door latch......
What I meant is that when the battery is dead the windows won't drop when you try to open or close the doors. So they can get in the way when you are trying to latch the doors closed.

It was just a thought of why your latch might not be working.

Quick Reply: Left key in ignition overnight