Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OT: I am now officially Retired!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:41 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OG - all the best. I have enjoyed your threads over the years.

My dad went through a similar thing... He was a line engineer in aerospace for the first 25 years of his career. He had two kids with his first wife, and then she divorced him and got a better lawyer! At age 50, broke, he decided to start over with a new wife (my mom) who pushed him to start his own company as a manufacturer's sales rep in aerospace. Over the next 15 years, he had a great run and acheived both monetary and personal success. He retired a long time ago, and at 86, is happily enjoying moidel railroading. As my mom still says - taking that step to be his OWN boss made him a changed man.

Best of luck with your new firm - and don't look back!

-Blake
Old 01-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

OG,

Blake's story has hit the nail on the head. I've been self employed for 30+ years and have consulted/consoled several friends that have gone through similar experiences to yours. In the end it's the transition that is painful as the "leap" into self employment often is. You will be much happier self employed even though the stress can be high at times. The big advantages you now have now are more flexible hours and the opportunity to work as long and as hard as you like.....or not. Who wants to fully retire? Keep that muscle between the ears exercised as long as possible and stay interested and interesting. Pension, working wife, and now your own firm with tons of potential in a niche market that you're an expert in.....sounds like a nice place to be.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good to see you're finally out of that tail spin. Your timing is good. 2012 is a good year to be an entrepreneur. The last couple of years of a recession favor the leaders, not the followers. So, good luck and happy new year.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:23 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats man, They say you life has just started when you retire. Your now a free man an everything you ever wanted to do~now is the time.

enjoy it, you erned it.

Quick Reply: OT: I am now officially Retired!