Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 GT3RS Parts Shopping! Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:19 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997.1 GT3RS Parts Shopping! Help please.

Got the cage on the way...thanks James at GMG for a sick RSR half cage! Also, have screens on the way. (this car was totally street and babied)

Needs:

Side mirrors...Porsche can get them for like $450 painted...may be the best route. I'm seeing carbon ones at $1600.

Wheels...oh boy here is the tough one. Paint current ones may be the course of action. OR, perhaps BBS in black? I hate giving up the stock look though.

Side decals. I have black ones at Porsche, but they aren't matte black. I think matte black is def the way to go. Any sources for these? Aftermarket I guess?

Brakes. I love the PCCB's but don't want to wear them out...way too expensive. But, this car is mostly for the street and will see maybe 2--4 events per year and probably with the wife mostly. Not sure what to do about this one. I love how they behave on the street...no school bus squeal and very little brake dust.

Speakers...someone lost my rear speakers! This car has nav and all kinds of goodies and no rear speakers. Suggestions? I'm told that the systems has no hook up for the rear speakers.

That's about it. I'm really loving the car. No centerlock wheels, no squeaky brakes, very little LWF chatter and comfy seats!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 01-11-2012, 07:53 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

See if you can get your mirrors and winglets wrapped in matte black from a good installer
(saves you from paint or new part purchase)

for wheels if you paint or buy will need to decide if going gloss black or matte black....

If the stock decals are not close enough to matte, then perhaps get them replicated locally.

For brakes, your callipers will house 997 CUP rotors or aftermarket equivalent i believe, however i would keep using the PCCB as they last long and no squeal! For the amount of track you intend to do i wouldnt bother pulling them..... (you still have a full cage car somewhere right??)

the rear speaker wire is deleted...... im not sure how to splice into the factory system, but if you could find a set of speakers and wires from a wrecked 997 you should beable to splice into the factory system if you were keen..... personally, i wouldnt bother.... especially if you have center muffler bi-pass.....
Old 01-12-2012, 12:02 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
See if you can get your mirrors and winglets wrapped in matte black from a good installer
(saves you from paint or new part purchase)

for wheels if you paint or buy will need to decide if going gloss black or matte black....

If the stock decals are not close enough to matte, then perhaps get them replicated locally.

For brakes, your callipers will house 997 CUP rotors or aftermarket equivalent i believe, however i would keep using the PCCB as they last long and no squeal! For the amount of track you intend to do i wouldnt bother pulling them..... (you still have a full cage car somewhere right??)

the rear speaker wire is deleted...... im not sure how to splice into the factory system, but if you could find a set of speakers and wires from a wrecked 997 you should beable to splice into the factory system if you were keen..... personally, i wouldnt bother.... especially if you have center muffler bi-pass.....
Thanks bro. I may have a place to get the decals done in matte. Def want the wheels to be gloss black. Wished I could photoshop!

I think it is a good call on the PCCB's. Just won't be tracking enough to matter that much. By the time I need new ones, there will probably be a better solution out there for replacing them.

Sold the cage, but have the GMG RSR coming in soon. Best option to use the stock seats and retain comfort. I've tried nearly everything out there.

I lovethe exhaust note with the GMG. But, there are times when I channel my inner redneck and love to listen to some good, heavy rock n roll while taking a short trip in it. Sport cars and rock n roll are like peanut butter and jelly to me.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:23 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

regarding to speakers - good sound quality and sport oriented track car do not combine.

good speakers like Focals are quite heavy and want heavy amps to feed them, plus any embedded Porsche system is pretty much crap, you are looking at relatively big project here, if you want to retain PCM as a source you will need to ditch stock amp, put custom wiring from PCM into audio processor with audissey to 'fix' interior distortions, then feed signal to custom amp. all that is doable but will add weight and will most likely require new wiring.

or you can just use stock speakers in front doors as they are.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:47 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by utkinpol
regarding to speakers - good sound quality and sport oriented track car do not combine.

good speakers like Focals are quite heavy and want heavy amps to feed them, plus any embedded Porsche system is pretty much crap, you are looking at relatively big project here, if you want to retain PCM as a source you will need to ditch stock amp, put custom wiring from PCM into audio processor with audissey to 'fix' interior distortions, then feed signal to custom amp. all that is doable but will add weight and will most likely require new wiring.

or you can just use stock speakers in front doors as they are.
Sounds like a bigger project than I want to get into. Thankfully, we have people here that have knowledge in many different areas. Audio is certainly not my strong point. Thanks for the tips!! Much appreciated.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Rog, I saw the same thing. I think I was missing something so I tried to adjust the Front to Rear balance on the PCM display. No luck. So I climbed in the back and removed the "speaker" grills only to find an empty slot with the no wires to be found

ANd for those of you that think there shouldn't be speakers in a GT3 then you better have A/C delete and zero options that add zero weight to your cars! The vast majority of us drive these on the streets and take the lady out for a nice steak dinner in these cars IN ADDITION to the 3-5 track events we can make a year. So it isn't asking too much to have a little better sound in the car. Front speakers only is pathetic.

If I didn't want speakers and a dedicated track car, I'd buy a cup or strip the car.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:14 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have speakers in the back of my car, not much of them though.

I recently replaced the front speakers with a set of Focal separates, as the sound coming from my system sounded like a fork hitting an empty can. The first concern I had was weight, and the difference is only a pound (at most) over the factory speakers. They also found that my OEM amp was toast, so they replaced it with a new small amp that weighted the same as the factory unit. My car has the CDR24, and they found that the MOST only connects to CD changer, not an amp like it was in my C2S. The good news is that the factory look is still intact, and the sound system is much improved over what I had before, without compromising weight. We left the factory dash speakers, and rear speakers alone, and the sound isn't high end, but does have some base and sounds great for what I wanted in this car.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:27 PM
LakeShow
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthVan
I have speakers in the back of my car, not much of them though.

I recently replaced the front speakers with a set of Focal separates, as the sound coming from my system sounded like a fork hitting an empty can. The first concern I had was weight, and the difference is only a pound (at most) over the factory speakers. They also found that my OEM amp was toast, so they replaced it with a new small amp that weighted the same as the factory unit. My car has the CDR24, and they found that the MOST only connects to CD changer, not an amp like it was in my C2S. The good news is that the factory look is still intact, and the sound system is much improved over what I had before, without compromising weight. We left the factory dash speakers, and rear speakers alone, and the sound isn't high end, but does have some base and sounds great for what I wanted in this car.
Could you please tell me a little more about this? What speakers exactly? What amp? Was there much involved in the install? I'm looking for a little sound boost in my GT3 with CDR24 as well. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2012, 02:48 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LVDell
Rog, I saw the same thing. I think I was missing something so I tried to adjust the Front to Rear balance on the PCM display. No luck. So I climbed in the back and removed the "speaker" grills only to find an empty slot with the no wires to be found

ANd for those of you that think there shouldn't be speakers in a GT3 then you better have A/C delete and zero options that add zero weight to your cars! The vast majority of us drive these on the streets and take the lady out for a nice steak dinner in these cars IN ADDITION to the 3-5 track events we can make a year. So it isn't asking too much to have a little better sound in the car. Front speakers only is pathetic.

If I didn't want speakers and a dedicated track car, I'd buy a cup or strip the car.
Holy cow! I thought it was just the RS that had the rear speaker delete thing. That sux! Although sports cars, these are $100k+ cars and should have at least something decent to listen to.

as the sound coming from my system sounded like a fork hitting an empty can.

Got any pics of the upgrade by chance?
Old 01-12-2012, 03:00 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Holy cow! I thought it was just the RS that had the rear speaker delete thing. That sux! Although sports cars, these are $100k+ cars and should have at least something decent to listen to.

Got any pics of the upgrade by chance?
The installer does, not sure if he will share them. I will try and get them from him.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:14 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LakeShow
Could you please tell me a little more about this? What speakers exactly? What amp? Was there much involved in the install? I'm looking for a little sound boost in my GT3 with CDR24 as well. Thanks!
The exact items are on my invoice, will check later.

The amp was physically larger, and was relocated to area that housed the tools and tire filler....none of which were included with my car. I removed the dense foam housing and the amp was secured with heavy duty velcro to the bottom of the tub. The speakers required a small ring spacer to allow them to mount to the OEM holes. The speaker themselves were larger then the OEM ones, however the factory has a housing around them that makes them around the same size as the originals.

The shop I used has worked with the MOST system in the past, and we were all surprised to find out that the CDR 24 system can integrate regular amps without having to buy expensive modules to work with the MOST system.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Turn3 Autosport
Former Vendor

For brake replacement you can use Girodiscs or Brembo, or continue with the PCCB like suggested above! The Brembos are close to twice as much as the Giros.

Cheers
Old 01-12-2012, 03:23 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pacific Western Performance
For brake replacement you can use Girodiscs or Brembo, or continue with the PCCB like suggested above! The Brembos are close to twice as much as the Giros.

Cheers
I had Giro's on my C2S and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. They were great!
Old 01-12-2012, 03:32 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

So I called the shop that did the work, and they told me that they installed the following items

Focal IS 200

http://www.focal.com/en/car-audio-so...kit/is-200.php

Kenwood KAC1502S

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WGfJXAf...KAC-1502S.html

I am trying to get the photos from the installer, and will post a note if I get them.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:05 PM
LakeShow
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

So I called the shop that did the work, and they told me that they installed the following items

Focal IS 200

http://www.focal.com/en/car-audio-so...kit/is-200.php

Kenwood KAC1502S

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WGfJXAf...KAC-1502S.html

I am trying to get the photos from the installer, and will post a note if I get them.
Thank you very much for all the info. I really appreciate it... Now to find a shop that I can trust...

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3RS Parts Shopping! Help please.