Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Izzone's Akrapovic install, Dyno and friends

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012 | 09:44 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by lopro
Are you sure savy thats not carbon build up on the bottom or left one?

the one runner your explaining has been casted and a pipe put into ~ wouldnt that be an area thats prone to cracking later on down the line and dont you think thats going to cause exhaust gas turbulance?
What you are looking at are the OE headers off a 1000 mile 4.0. It is a thin layer of carbon deposited on the (due to sloppy design/assembly) connection.

Akrapovic has no issues with cracking at header flange that I am aware of? And if it did, I still have no concerns- I have personally found Akrapovic to be one of the most honorable companies I have ever dealt with. (FVD/Brombacher has been superb to deal with, so has Sharkwerks and Capristo). You know the saying...the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has been forgotten.

I was simply responding to poster who was not aware of product differences. Of no concern to me if any person wants to use headers or not. Personally I bought the car to do with as I please and have never much worried about warranty. Statistically speaking, I will never need it.
Old 01-21-2012 | 10:17 AM
senna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by savyboy
What you are looking at are the OE headers off a 1000 mile 4.0. It is a thin layer of carbon deposited on the (due to sloppy design/assembly) connection.

Akrapovic has no issues with cracking at header flange that I am aware of? And if it did, I still have no concerns- I have personally found Akrapovic to be one of the most honorable companies I have ever dealt with. (FVD/Brombacher has been superb to deal with, so has Sharkwerks and Capristo). You know the saying...the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has been forgotten.

I was simply responding to poster who was not aware of product differences. Of no concern to me if any person wants to use headers or not. Personally I bought the car to do with as I please and have never much worried about warranty. Statistically speaking, I will never need it.
Well said!
Old 01-21-2012 | 11:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

akro, though bloody expensive, is one of the best complete solutions for farting.
if only i had the modding disease...
Old 01-21-2012 | 11:38 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by mooty
akro, though bloody expensive, is one of the best complete solutions for farting.
LOL
Old 01-21-2012 | 11:57 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
I think the modding disease is much cheaper than car ADD

Arfe you ready to sell me the 4.0 yet?
Old 01-21-2012 | 12:50 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by savyboy
Akrapovic is quite different than stock. Look at the port matching. Look how the OE tubing is welded inside the flange and effectively narrows down the port. Ak casts the flange and a short length of exit port together and attaches the pipe to the casting downstream. The OE is sloppy mass production for low cost. The Ak is finely detailed and done correctly.

Details like this are important to gas flow (making power). A perfect example of quality where the average person has no idea to look for it. A race engine builder would pick up on in a heartbeat.

Goolgle "Exhaust Port Matching" if you want to learn.
I understand where the akra is higher quality than the exhaust, I'm sure other details like the welding etc, is also much higher quality, causing less turbulence in the gas flow. I was merely referring to the headers being quite a bit shorter in design versus stepped headers...for instance the FVD or supersprint headers are equal length and both have merge collectors. I think the akra is a fantastic exhaust and they have a very fine reputation. I just don't think their headers are the best part of the system.
Old 01-21-2012 | 12:50 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by Izzone

I don't agree with this statement. Unless you buy the cars new, that's another story.
Old 01-21-2012 | 01:21 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Originally Posted by Izzone

I don't agree with this statement. Unless you buy the cars new, that's another story.
Your case is different

You don't keep them long enough to pay registration
Old 01-21-2012 | 02:10 PM
lopro
Banned

Originally Posted by lopro
I think today Im going to order the supersprint elbows and a FVD final muffler

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/-/...tyle_Tips.html

http://www.supersprintna.com/product...arch_model/411

Does anyone think this would be a bad pairing?

Does anyone know where a fvd can be bought in Canada or US?
Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
you have PM.
thanks for your help. I sent you back a Pm.

Quick Reply: Izzone's Akrapovic install, Dyno and friends