Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Importing a Canadian Spec GT3 to the USA?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:11 AM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Importing a Canadian Spec GT3 to the USA?

Hi Everyone,

Yes, certainly the reverse is well documented (importing a US GT-car into Canada), so no info on that on this thread please.

What I would like to know is if anyone has any experience or information regarding importing their Canadian Spec GT-car or other modern Porsche from Canada into the USA?

As far as my research has uncovered so far, one must present at the border an official letter from a Porsche Dealer or Porsche North America stating the vehicle's VIN and whether it complies with US emission and safety standards. One would also show proof of ownership and of course have to pay some kind of import duty (although I have not idea what the rate is or how it is calculated).

Please let me know if you have any experience with this subject.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
Doug N.

Last edited by DJN; 12-22-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:49 AM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Ah $hit......looks like I am on my own researching this one! Again!

Please chime in if you have anything. Thanks!

doug N.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:48 AM
Ward
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 996 years ago which had been brought in from Canada. The dealer had done what they could to localize, but still issues persisted. Running lights were always on, and took years for dealer to disable. The heater displays were in degrees F, but the outside temp was centigrade. Not a big deal, but lots of subtle differences that detracted from the experience. Check these out so they don't irritate you later.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:26 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ward!

This is extremely helpful, I will begin the "hypothetical" conversion with the dealer.

Cheers!
Doug N.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:39 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot easier to switch this on a 997. Just reverse the procudre to bringing them north.

The biggest challenge is e border, the person bringing the car across the border must be the importer. I know someone that sold his car to someone in the USA and almost lost it when he brought it across the border to sell it.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:10 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I know you will have import tax, but its not as much as we pay to import "into" Canada ( we pay 6.1% )
Old 12-24-2011, 04:24 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

are you selling the car to somebody in the USA or are you moving to the USA?

If you are moving to the USA you can continue with your Canadian plates and insurance until you register the car in the state you will be living in.

If you have the car transported to the USA you will need to fill out a CDN customs form stating how long the vehicle will be in the USA along with rules and stipulations.

Another issue is if the car is in your personal name, lease holders name or business name.

Quick Reply: Importing a Canadian Spec GT3 to the USA?