Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

MPSC, dead so soon...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 12:59 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 365 Posts

3.5 track days on my first new set. I was a bit disappointed in the short life span but oh well. As far as R-comp's go, I liked them quite a bit though. I wish they made NT-01's in .2 sizes. I used to get 4-6 days out of a set and the grip was really consistent all the way to the cords.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:16 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Pete, you made reference to chunking... What exactly is that? This is the state of my MPSCs after my most recent couple of track days... Apart from the melting of the front right (heaps of high speed left turns on a hot day... pressures were probably a little too high at 33/36 hot) are there any signs of chunking??? They are at just above TWIs... Plan to run a couple more days on them....
What alignment were these tires run on?

It almost looks like you need a bit less rear camber - and since you said HOT DAYS, I was also going to say it looks a little like they were running a bit too hot and wearing out the center rubber a bit too much. They look pretty good overall.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

4 days at track and my rear MPSC was at wear bar. I pushed 2 more track days, now wear bar is flat. I think I will switch to MPSS for longer wear and wet performance when they are available in 325.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:40 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Those look perfect to me.
I've seen them chunk on the inside where the cords are showing and big pieces of rubber go missing while the rest of the tirs still had more thread than in your pics. Not sure why it was like that, but that car was driven HARD
by Grady WillinghamBone stock, even the regular seats and a 3 point I believe '10 GT3 at Sebring posting faster laps then me, his first trip back to Sebring in 10 years.
Thanx Pete, I'm going to try running slightly lower pressures next time to reduce the tyre melt on the fronts although I think I was underbraking and pushing with too much speed into slower corners, thus contributing to it...

Last edited by 911rox; 12-19-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:51 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
What alignment were these tires run on?

It almost looks like you need a bit less rear camber - and since you said HOT DAYS, I was also going to say it looks a little like they were running a bit too hot and wearing out the center rubber a bit too much. They look pretty good overall.
I was running standard camber 997gt3north so approx -1.5ish if I recall correctly... I was aiming for 33/36 hot which after a recent thread I believe was probably a little too high... Will try 31/33 hot next time on hot days... I think that I contributed to the tyre wear in the centre as the day got hotter because they were starting to get greasy and I was bombing into the slower corners at the same speed, thus causing understeer and a loose front. I should have been braking a splash more to wipe off a couple of extra ks to aid turn in and help them cope with the conditions....
Old 12-19-2011, 09:35 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Anyone interested in a set of Nitto Invo direct replacements for the MPSCs on my RS. I bought them as street and rain tire but never used them. I run hooriers almost exclusively. They have less than 50 miles on them. Very quiet and great street and rain tire because of their design. BTW outside of the Pirellis, this is the only tire that is offered in the exact size of our stock tires.

Quick Reply: MPSC, dead so soon...