Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Any Bay Area RLers run FDR Motorsports DE at Laguna?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 12:17 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same colour as mine so i can dream that i've driven it at ls!
Old 12-26-2011, 02:20 AM
mikeoR32
Instructor

You know, I thought your username sounded familiar....and I actually just came across a random post of yours reading an old thread from tttttada on Vortex. Another .:R owner with a 911 obsession!
Old 12-26-2011, 09:25 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

haaahaaaa! yep! that is me.
my car;
schrick 268 cams
heads ported/polished
evoms v-flow intake
giac cams tune
hpa orange competition haldex controller
supersprint headers
milltek 200 cell cats
eip comp catback
clutchmasters ceramic clutch/ lwfw
kw clubsport 3 way
vw motorsport sway bars
neuspeed control arms
vf engine/tranny/dogbone mounts
alcon 4 pot/355mm stasis rotors, pagid rs14's track/ferrodo 2500 street
peloqiun lsd
nitrided gears
tst brace
r888
on stock wheels ( had black oz ultras for track, now sold)

230 hp at all 4 wheels.
car is heavy. needs lightening and cage.

Last edited by aussie jimmy; 12-28-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:01 PM
mikeoR32
Instructor

Love your setup! I've always been impressed with what the Aussie R owners have done (Graeme and Al Walker come to mind).

My car was my heavy DD for a few years (think 25-30K miles a year) so I've held back a bit on what I've done with the car. But, I've been averaging 7K/yr lately so it's starting to see more love. I'm about to refresh the suspension, Bilstein PSS, Chicago Performance & Tuning rear control arms, Defcon bushing upgrade. I'm going to let that settle in, but already see a Unibrace, H&R rear sway w/ FlyingFinn's rear sway end links in my sights.

BTW, VW Motorsport sways? Can you give me more info on these?

Brake wise I have Stoptech SS brake lines and the Tyrol caliper stiffening kit. I run OEM pads/rotors for daily use but use Carbotech XP-10's for the track. Not a lot done power wise, EvoMS CAI, GIAC and the flapper mod. If I push things further that route, cams would be top the list! Wheel wise I use Kosei K1-TS 17x8. Good lightweight wheel with a good fitment. I'm currently killing off a pair of all-seasons left over from living back east before choosing my next performance tire, haha...

My car down in Monterey for AutoWeek

Back to 997GT content, I suppose ;-)
Old 12-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

LOL! This is awesome. I'm going to have to do something similar to get my 997 CUP muffler to pass at Laguna.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:08 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikeoR32
Love your setup! I've always been impressed with what the Aussie R owners have done (Graeme and Al Walker come to mind).

My car was my heavy DD for a few years (think 25-30K miles a year) so I've held back a bit on what I've done with the car. But, I've been averaging 7K/yr lately so it's starting to see more love. I'm about to refresh the suspension, Bilstein PSS, Chicago Performance & Tuning rear control arms, Defcon bushing upgrade. I'm going to let that settle in, but already see a Unibrace, H&R rear sway w/ FlyingFinn's rear sway end links in my sights.

BTW, VW Motorsport sways? Can you give me more info on these?

Brake wise I have Stoptech SS brake lines and the Tyrol caliper stiffening kit. I run OEM pads/rotors for daily use but use Carbotech XP-10's for the track. Not a lot done power wise, EvoMS CAI, GIAC and the flapper mod. If I push things further that route, cams would be top the list! Wheel wise I use Kosei K1-TS 17x8. Good lightweight wheel with a good fitment. I'm currently killing off a pair of all-seasons left over from living back east before choosing my next performance tire, haha...

My car down in Monterey for AutoWeek

Back to 997GT content, I suppose ;-)
thanks, and you have great taste in cars indeed!
looks good in red; we got no red mk4's here, just black, blue and silver, 200 in total.
i've met al walker, he is one funny guy! he just recently sold his r and bought an old 911 that he is currently working on, doing a tarmac rally build.
as for the sway bars, my mechanic sourced them off one of the 2 racing r's that raced here in 03/04; he was one of the team mechanics. don't know the specs, but they are a little less beefy than the hr's. the team was factory-backed.

cams are a worthwhile mod, top end is transformed. there's a little bit of torque loss down-low though. i'm done with modding this car, need to start 'saving' to get 'the one' (or find a rich bride as wiseman mooty says.. )
Old 12-28-2011, 01:43 PM
mikeoR32
Instructor

I saw that Al sold his car and moved onto an older 911. Understandable move, but it's one more of the older R owners whose contributions to the MkIV R forum I enjoyed that are no longer there. That forum has turned into 3rd/4th owners who care only about stance and putting their car on bags. I find myself in this forum not only because I love the 997GT cars, but the closeness of its members along with a more track oriented focus actually reminds me of the R forum from 4-6 years ago....

Was the video you posted of the car that the swaybars came off of? I remember a lot of talk about this race prepped R from Australia...

I feel you on not modding. The more money I put into this car, the less I'm saving for the long term goal of a car from Stuttgart!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:49 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

i'm not sure which one the sways came off.
the guy who did the work on my car, seb (bug racer), bought this white one last year.
it has the intake manifold that i want, totally different to the oem, made by the factory for these 2 cars only, relocating the battery to the rear. the intake manifold is the most restrictive part on the car.
prob still has it hoarded in the darkest corners of his workshop.
those days on the mk4 forum were great!!!! with ttttada, qbn, eugene, powerdubs, al, graeme, et al...., awesome days! darren from streetwerkes was very helpful. you're right though, a wealth of info and great people, just like we have here. nowadays i spend more time here, as the other is now predominately just young kids into the coffee/cars rather than tracking or performance.
good to see somebody else moved along in the right direction!!! now we have the mooty's, slow's, cable's, trackcar's, and izzone's giving us freaky ideas. haha!!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:43 PM
mikeoR32
Instructor

I totally remember the posts on vortex regarding that intake manifold. I think that's on the 'most desired' list of many, ha ha. If you get that intake manifold let me know...you'd be the only streetable R32 in the world with it!

"predominately just young kids into the coffee/cars rather than tracking or performance." You mean turboing your car, putting it on bags with 19in rims isn't real performance?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:00 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

seb wanted $8k for the manifold. i promptly forgot about it.
apparently, it does nothing at all down-low, so would be a dog on the street....but......,.......
Old 01-09-2012, 08:26 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
LOL! This is awesome. I'm going to have to do something similar to get my 997 CUP muffler to pass at Laguna.
You can call at Premiere inlas Vegas, but I think that's one of Bobby Faieta's exhausts that he makes up for his 7 cup drivers. Expensive, but very little loss of HP and combined with intake insulation makes sound at Laguna. You can also just keep a stock exhaust w/cats and install them for Laguna again with intake insulation. I also attach elbows with Supertraps on the ends....

Quick Reply: Any Bay Area RLers run FDR Motorsports DE at Laguna?